Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 11:47 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

This is too funny! My MIL was saying just yesterday that she heard she needed to eat more fiber. I told her about all of Bobbi's suggestions with different ways to eat Fiber One cereal. I think she's going to give it a try. She eats a lot of salads and will try the cereal for breakfast and put it on her salad. I'm going to start watching my fiber intake without doing anything different to see what kind of numbers I am getting.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:54 PM   #17  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Hi.............Go to Fitday and it does all the work for you.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:36 PM   #18  
rai

S/C/G: 193/178/140? -->size 6 or 8

Height: 5'7

I would like a thread with different ways of using fiber one or other cereals. Oh yeah, Hungry girl has a recipe for "fried shrimp" using Fiber One.

I also like the name Fiber Fanatics.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:54 PM   #19  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Oh G-d Bobbo, I had a MAJOR typo there. I meant to say "Fiber Fanatics", not FANTASTICS. "Fiber Fanatics".

Go to hungrygirl.com and type in Fiber One Cereal and about a dozen or so different things pop up. Click on them and you'll find stuff in there.

Maggielina, there are a few websites that will tell you fiber content and many other informative things. Fitday.com and nutritiondata.com are 2 that I like.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:59 PM   #20  

Thanks!! I'll buy the book and try this diet, so I'll be around: today I bought the fiber one cereal for starters!!! (LOL) and started reading the labels to give me an idea about fiber contents. It looks like I'll have to get used to eating lots of the cereal, though....

Maggie
Old 03-19-2007, 09:43 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Hi Bobbi, Robin, and everyone! The Fiber thread sounds cool... I like FIBER FANATICS (I think that's what Robin meant?). Or, maybe the Fantastic Fiber Fanatics... either way, both are very alliterative names!

Anyway, like I said on the calorie thread, I think my increase in fiber (and cutting out those daily almonds) really helped me budge from my 3 week plateau. It felt so good to see the needle dip below 140 lbs! So, I have the two of you to thank for suggesting the fiber and cutting out the almonds.

Looking forward to a new healthy thread!
Old 03-19-2007, 09:46 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Oops... just realized I missed Robin's last thread correcting herself on the name.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:32 PM   #23  
Bev

S/C/G: 180/171.6/150

Height: 5'4

I also like the name FIBER FANATICS. I also found fiber one bars at the grocery store with 9 grams of fiber. They are pretty good.

Bev
Old 03-19-2007, 11:54 PM   #24  

Default Fiber Fanatics!!

I love it!

Wow! We already have a great group!! I feel really bad reading all of your tips. I think I am going to the on the receiving end of this because I am a rookie and don't have a lot of insight. Sorry!! Anyway, I was hoping as I was reading the posts that it would be Fiber Fanatics. I love it!!

Bobbi, I would love to start a Fiber35 group!! I agree that everyone can follow their own diet. I can't wait to help you celebrate making goal!!

Are there different types of Fiber 1 cereal?? I have never thought of putting it with pudding. I think I would like the crunch. Actually, I tried Fiber 1 and didn't like it with milk but until now I didn't realize there were other ways of using it (duh!)

I got the colon cleanse from Amazon today. I hope it comes with directions.

Good luck with your exam today.

Ellabella: do what works for you. I think your loss is FANTASTIC!! But you are the one who knows if you can make the changes and stick with it.

RockinRobin (Robin??):: I really admire you for losing over 100 pounds. Way to go! I will check out hungrygirl . . . I forgot about her.

Maggie: I have a biggest loser calorie count book that I carry with me. I watch fat grams and fiber grams while being mindful of calories. All of those counts are on there.

Bev: I am not sure what this means but initially when I was picking my weight measurer signature I was going to use the exact same as you but got lazy and just picked the hearts. Fiber sister???

Question/Request: Could we all pick a partner that we need to keep an eye on and if that person seems to fall off the face of the earth their partner could email them with a little encouragement or support. I think it is a great thing that will keep us together and focused. I guess that is a lot like AA isn't it? I guess I am not sure, let me know if you like the idea.

Gina
Old 03-20-2007, 07:32 AM   #25  
Bobbi

Looks like we're in business and we all seem to agree on Robin's title, ~FIBER FANATICS~. I'll put a header together to invite others and start a new post called
~FIBER FANATICS~ sometime today. That way everyone can post, no matter what kind of plan we're using.
See ya all later,
Bobbi
Old 03-20-2007, 08:33 AM   #26  
Bobbi

O.K. Girls, since this is started by all of you lets have some imput on the header I made. Too much information? Anything anyone wants to add, substract? I don't know how long this thread will get, if it's too long we'll make it a monthly thread. Whoever gets up first can start it, just copy/print the header so new people will know what it's about. I have tough skin so please feel free to edit.
Bobbi
I just did a "preview post" and I can see already it's too long. We need to filter out some stuff. Let's edit this!

~FIBER FANATICS~

This thread focuses on foods high in fiber that fill you up and help with weigh loss. Fiber fills the stomach, thereby reducing appetite.
We welcome everyone with tips, recipes, support and general conversation. We’d love to hear how the boosting of fiber has helped you consistently lose weigh. We'll report our fiber count daily or weekly, whatever works best for you.
High-fiber foods generally require more chewing time, which gives your body time to register when you're no longer hungry, so you're less likely to overeat. Also, a high-fiber diet tends to make a meal feel larger and linger longer, so you stay full for a greater amount of time. And high-fiber diets tend to be less "energy dense," which means they have fewer calories for the same volume of food.
Fiber works by speeding up the time it takes food to pass through the large intestines, thereby diluting toxic and carcinogenic compounds. Plus, dietary fiber is helpful for those who want to lose weight, since fiber absorbs water so you feel full and satisfied throughout the day. Adding fiber to your diet can help improve your eating habits, which can lead to weight loss and more energy!
The typical adult consumes less than 20 grams of fiber per day. This is about 50% of the recommended amount of dietary fiber for good health.Eat Fiber to Lose Body Fat
If your goal is to lose body fat, increasing your fiber intake can help in three ways:
*High fiber foods can help control appetite by reducing insulin levels in the blood, a hormone that stimulates appetitethe body uses more energy to digest and absorb high fiber foods than refined or low fiber foods - burns more calories
*High fiber foods are filling but are low in fat (many are fat free
Old 03-20-2007, 08:36 AM   #27  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Great idea, Bobbolink. I'm already a Fiber Fanatic who aims for 30+ grams per day. (It helps to have had your mother and all her siblings die of colon cancer. ) I am going to order the book today for more ideas.

Fibre One (or is it Fiber One?) is great stuff. So are Bran Buds. I have a BB "sundae" for breakfast most mornings - 1/3 cup Buds, 1/2 c sf/ff yogurt and some fruit like blueberries or dried apricots. 164 calories and you already have 14 to 15 grams of fiber!

As most folks have said though, be sure to drink your water!
Old 03-20-2007, 09:57 AM   #28  

Default Does this make it easier to read??

We welcome everyone with tips, recipes, support and general conversation. We’d love to hear how the boosting of fiber has helped you consistently lose weigh. We'll report our fiber count daily or weekly, whatever works best for you.

High-fiber foods:

Generally require more chewing time giving your body time to register when you're no longer hungry, so you're less likely to overeat.

Tends to make a meal feel larger and linger longer, so you stay full for a greater amount of time.

Less "energy dense," which means they have fewer calories for the same volume of food.

Speeding up the time it takes food to pass through the large intestines, thereby diluting toxic and carcinogenic compounds

Helpful for those who want to lose weight, since fiber absorbs water so you feel full and satisfied throughout the day.

Can help improve your eating habits, which can lead to weight loss and more energy!

If your goal is to lose body fat, increasing your fiber intake can help in three ways:

The typical adult consumes less than 20 grams of fiber per day. This is about 50% of the recommended amount of dietary fiber for good health.Eat Fiber to Lose Body Fat.
  1. High fiber foods can help control appetite by reducing insulin levels in the blood, a hormone that stimulates appetite.
  2. The body uses more energy to digest and absorb high fiber foods than refined or low fiber foods - burns more calories
  3. High fiber foods are filling but are low in fat (many are fat free)
Old 03-20-2007, 10:03 AM   #29  
it's always something

I like Fiber One Honey Cluster cereal. It contains 15 grams of fiber per serving, and it's not twiggy
Old 03-20-2007, 10:09 AM   #30  

Default Cookbooks??

Breakfast is really easy for me. I love oatmeal and throw in an orange or something and I have a high fiber breakfast. (normally 11-12 grams)

Lunch is either left overs or a can of soup. I only have 30 minutes and take my puppy for a walk so it has to be quick. I like bean with ham and it has 8 or nine grams of fiber and is also low fat. I know it has a lot of sodium but it probably isn't a bad trade off, right. Also, I miss saltines. I have seen whole wheat saltines . . . does anyone know if they are worth it??

Dinner is where I struggle. I didn't know that potatoes weren't ok . . . I re-read parts of fiber35 last night and realized that. Normally, I try to use WW pasta and either make a mac and cheese or spaghetti sauce. I have also made recipes with beans and whole wheat tortillas.

Any ideas for a high fiber cookbook?? We are so very plain . . . most of the recipes in the book are too "crazy" for us.

For snacks I have a fruit (orange is my favorite) but now I will probably have some pudding with fiber 1. That sounds pretty good!!

Don't worry . . . I have some milk and vegetables.

Thanks. Gina
Closed Thread