Old 02-24-2007, 10:47 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 139/136/130

Height: 5'2''

Default Newbie is starving doing hot yoga--- needs help!

Hi! I'm new--- just completed 2 days of Express and 1 day of the gold plan. I am starving!!!!! Please tell me this gets better because I chewed off 2 fingernails and am about to eat just about anything in sight!
I also do 60 mins of hot yoga which is suppose to burn 400-500 cals so I am wondering if I need more food. Please advise---- I'm not confident that the counselors know what to do. They tell me to cut down on the yoga but I LOVE it and it feels awesome-- major sweating and getting stronger.
So far I'm down 3.2 pounds--- I like this! But, my willpower is dwindling because I am so hungry!
Thanks for any words of wisdom that may be helpful!
Susan

Last edited by got2run; 02-24-2007 at 10:56 AM.
got2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 01:46 PM   #2  
Megan

S/C/G: size 14/ pudgy size 10/Size 8

Height: 5'5"

Susan,

How many days a week are you doing the Yoga? I know, I've been losing inches and not pounds for the last 12 weeks. COD, will not let me switch down from RED to GOLD because I work out an hour most days. They know to expect at least one weekly tantrum from me over the scale! On Friday, they put one of the regional manager's who's also a trainer on the phone with me to talk me out of the insanity. The first thing she said to me is that as long as you're working out 5 hours a week you will not move below RED because they're isn't enough calories on gold or purple.

Best advice I can give you is to make sure COD knows what your realistically work-out, it makes all the difference in terms of what plan you're on. Ther's one counselor at COD that told me I shouldn't be working out if I want to lose weight. However, COD manager preaches inches will always be better than dropping pounds!

By the way: I've lost 13 pounds and change in 12 weeks, but I dropped 15 1/2 inches in the same time. Typically it should be 1/2 an inch per pound that you drop. I'm dropping 1.23 inches per pound!

Last edited by marzbe; 02-25-2007 at 01:52 PM.
marzbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 02:11 PM   #3  

Thank you so much for your reply. You sound like you are really doing well on LAWL-- I'd be thrilled with 15 1/2 inches and 13 pounds in 12 weeks! Wow! You probably are building muscle and that is why the scale won't budge as fast as you would like it to. You also probably know that muscle weight more than fat but takes up less inches--- so your weight can stay the same but you get smaller! The great news is that building muscle increases your metabolic weight and your firing up the calorie burning machine...this is all good!
I do Hot Yoga 5-6 times a week. It is really intense-- my heart is pounding and I'm sweating buckets. I know I'm burning a ton of calories. Do you know hoe many calories are on the Gold, Red, and Purple plans? And on the Red what do you get extra that isn't on the Gold? I think I really need to move up--- I'm starving and my workouts are suffering too--- I'm pooping out!
I'm almost to goal-- within 5 pounds and I want to lose it before I go to Hawaii 3/12--- so maybe starvation is ok for now?
Thanks again for your help-- sure appreciate your reply.
Susan
Old 02-25-2007, 03:41 PM   #4  
Megan

RED plan is :

2 1/2 proteins
4 vegetables
3 Fruits
3 Starches
1 Dairy
1 Fat
2 Lites

I know it's an extra starch and the extra 1/2 protein compared to GOLD or PURPLE. Also the portions are large on RED, COD manager said to go to GOLD I would lose basically a whole protein a day because of the difference in portion sizes. With our weights, without workout GOLD is the only option.

It definitley sounds like COD doesn't know workouts. I used to love doing the Bikram, unfortunately there's no studio locally that offers it, and I'm not trekking into Manhatten for Yoga Classes.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:15 PM   #5  

You think I should go up to Red???
Old 02-26-2007, 01:08 AM   #6  
The hotness! (AKA Kim)

S/C/G: 180/170/125

Height: 5'3"

There is a hot yoga center right near my house that I have always been interested in checking out... I think I will now seeing how much you enjoy it. Anything I should know going into it?... and is it a problem that I am in the worst shape of my life? I mean really, this is bad, I haven't seen a treadmill in about 2 months (I know... so shameful!) Think you could help me out with a few pointers to keep from being completely embarassed? Thanks!... and I have no idea about moving to the red plan or not... like I said, I'm not one for getting my a$$ to the gym these days... but I'll ask my COD tomorrow what they think about it.
The best ME I can be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:50 PM   #7  
Megan

Kim,

If you've never done Yoga before DO NOT START WITH HOT YOGA! I was practicing several days a week for over a year before I even attempted it! And if a studio opens up out here that has it, I'll be back practicing 5 days a week Ashanti or another non-hot method in a classfor at least a month.

Yoga in general is an amazing strength builder. I do my salutations almost daily, as a matter of fact I grew an inch in college after I picked it up. Toning your core muscles definitely makes a massive difference.

COD laughs at me, because I readily admit I'm addicted to the stability ball and spend hours a day on it. I've been averaging 2 inches off the waist every 4 weeks, obviously it's working.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:21 PM   #8  

I agree, Hot Yoga is not for beginners. I did regular yoga first for a few weeks then switched to Hot Yoga or a combination. It can be really intense but so WONDERFUL! I am totally addicted. Good luck on your Yoga adventure "The Best ME I Can Be." It is very satisfying to the soul & body!