Fit day servings - confused!

• So a small banana (6" to 6-7/8" long) has 93 cals, 0 grams of fat, 24 grams of carbs, and 1 gram of protein according to fit day.

I weighed my banana with and without the peel.

With peel - 5.43 oz yields (154 grams) of what I think is a small-medium banana = 90 cals, 0 grams of fat, 23 grams of carb, 1 gram of protein.

Without peel (which is obviously what I eat so I thought this would be more accurate) - 3.03 oz yields (86 grams) = 50 calories, 0 grams fat, 13 grams carb, 1 gram protein.

What do you think?
  • Any time you can go by weight, rather than an arbitrary "small, med, large" distinction, you are going to get more accurate results.
  • Well, it depends if fitday's information is based on a banana weighed with or without the peel. I don't recall if it states that or not. If the calories are based on the weight of a banana with the peel, then the 90 cals would be right...this would also seem to correlate better with the measurement cals.
  • I've also wondered this: if fruit calories are based on the fruit's weight with the peel, or the fruit's weight without. Oranges and bananas both have pretty substantial peels!
  • Fruits are normally weighed WITH the peel...but the calories, carbs, etc. are for it WITHOUT the peel-because you don't eat the banana peel, or orange rind.
    For a fruit like an apple, however...the calories, fiber, etc. are WITH skin-because skin is usually eaten.
  • I always err on the side of caution.

I count peel, stem, seed.... the whole kit and caboodle.
  • anyone here try www.thedailyplate.com love it much betta than fitday. it has a more comprehensive food list and it's very easy to use. A friend recently sent me to that site and I can't say enough good things about it! I even put a link on my myspace cuz I'm a big geek! hehe.
  • thanks for the link, lottie! will check it out.

yeah, I usually weigh my apples with peels since I eat those, but bananas?!
  • thedailyplate.com looks confusing. I just tried looking up sweet potatoes and there were so many of them with different numbers. With fitday, if I look it up I get the choice of fat added in cooking or fat not added.
  • I checked out calorieking and fr 3.03 oz of the edible part of the banana contains 77 calories .3 grams fat 19.7gr carbs 2.2 dietary fiber and .9 gr protein

hope that helps some
  • thanks