Salomon

• Hi Everyone,
    I was wondering what everyone thought about eating salmon almost everyday? My COD told me that it is very high in sodium At a previous visit they told me that if the choice was pork and beef OR salomon, that salmon would be the better choice. I eat chicken everyday @ lunch so I don't want to eat it for dinner. I need help!!! I salmon and can eat it everyday. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks :smile:
  • canned salmon or fresh? I have some frozen salmon and it says 2% of the daily recommended for sodium.
  • Hi Barb,
    It's fresh from the seafood dept. @ the grocery store. I've never tried the canned kind and the frozen gets too dry for me. Thanks:smile:
  • Well according to the frozen stuff I have it does not have alot of sodium. Maybe someone else would know more but I disagree with your COD.
  • Thanks Barb, I hope others can chime in with their thoughts too.
  • I would imagine that smoked salmon is higher in salt, but fresh should be pretty low..

That said, it is one of the more fatty fishes, so my COD said to change it up now and again.. We eat talapia and orange roughy, as well as shrimp quite a bit.. I think I'd go nuts if I had to eat chicken for lunch every day and salmon for dinner..
  • Fresh Salmon is good, but too much of anything isn't. The portion in your program is right for you. Tilapia is so fantastic. We used the recipe in the book for Tilapia Italiano...and we loved it.

TILAPIA ITALIANO (1P 2V)

5 or 7 oz tilapia filet (size according to plan)
    1 tsp crushed garlic
    1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
    1/2 teaspoon oregano
    lite salt, to taste
    2 tomatoes diced
    non fat cooking spray

Rinse Tilapia under cold water and pat dry with paper towels
    coat skillet with nonfat cooking spray
    Saute garlic over medium heat for 1 minute
    Sprinkle fish with oregano, lemon pepper and salt
    Add fish to pan, saute on each side until opaque
    and remove from pan and keep warm
    Add tomatoes to pan, heat over medium high flame until reduced by half
    Return fish to pan and heat
    Serve Hot
  • ^^ We did the same recipe, albeit with with orange roughy and it turned out just great!

We used diced, canned tomatos rather than fresh, but you get the idea...
  • I don't have my book in front of me, but isn't salmon a limited protein? It used to be 3 yrs ago (my first go round on this plan) but maybe they've changed that. The explanation back then was that it took longer to digest than white fish, so it affects your weight loss in a negative manner.
  • I posted a list of the items that dh's counselor had highlighted in his book as being more "stay with you" foods that we should try and avoid or limit to only once a week... the list is long, but that whole section of seafood that starts with "Bluefin Tuna" and ends with "Yellowtail" is highlighted. AVOID if you want to lose weight as quickly as possible according to his counselor. That list also includes beef, pork, liver, and turkey lunch meat.
    I'll also add that they continually sing the diversify, more variety song!!! So I would not suggest chicken everyday for lunch unless you are fixing it different ways. Believe me, we eat chicken or turkey 8 out of 10 meals, but I fix it soooo many different ways that we don't get tired of it.
    Also for the new year, I decided to make Tues. and Thurs. our change up days. So I've made tuna, tilapia, shrimp, beef and chicken stir fry, and this week, we're having pork bbq that dh is putting in the smoker tomorrow in addition to a turkey.
    So... I hope that helped!
    Hugs,
  • Thanks everyone all this was a huge help. You all are the best.I will definitley(? sp) keep these in mind. to you all.
  • Thanks Dan and Lori for the amazing recipe for tilapia. to you guys. That recipe was YUMMY!!! I'll definetly be making that again. You guys ROCK!!! for all your help
  • I also recommend the Horseradish Parmesan Tilapia.

1P, 1/2D, C

The amounts are kind of a guess, since I do this by eyeballing it. You could also grill or broil the fish, but I like the brown coating that the garllic powder gives when it's panfried.

1 Tilapia Fillet (size according to plan)
    Cooking Spray
    Morton's Lite Salt
    Pepper
    Garlic Powder
    Onion Powder
    Horseradish Sauce
    1 oz Kraft Reduced Fat Grated Parmesan

Spray skillet with cooking spray and preheat over medium-high heat.

Place fish on paper towel and pat dry. Sprinkle each side with Morton's Lite Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder and Onion Powder (maybe 1/8 tsp each side of the garlic powder and onion powder, a little less for the salt and pepper).

Place fish in the pan and cook until the sides start to become opaque (a little less than five minutes).

Spray the top of the fish with the cooking spray and flip the fish. Keep cooking for another five minutes or so. You will know the fish is done when you insert a fork in the thickest part and it flakes. If you aren't sure how that should be, try putting the fork in the side where you know it is done. It should feel the same way in the middle.

Remove fish to serving plate. Drizzle horseradish sauce on top, and top with parmesan.

Also, I like Boars Head horseradish sauce, or some other "saucy" kind. I have found the Kraft to be too much like mayo. It's too thick to get all over the fish.
  • Sounds like another winner.. ANYTHING to make fish taste better.. !
  • I was basically told last week to totally give up the salmon because it was too high in fat and one of the worst fish to eat because of that. In the long run it had no effect on the plateau I've been in the last 6 weeks, so for tommorrow's grocery store run I plan to pick up my salmon and enjoy it!

In all fairness, I was annoyed with the plateau! (it was the first time I didn't have a diary with me on top of that) I met with a counselor who I had never seen before who basically told me no tomatos, pineapple, or watermelon also. Obviously nothing changed.