Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 05-08-2006, 05:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 202/200/150

Lightbulb Trying to Lose Weight in College is NO FUN!

The worst thing happened this year. I stepped on my scale and it told me I weighed 200lbs. I cannot believe it. I have let my life spin out of control. But I'm not going to let it continue from here. I am going into my fifth (and last) year at Northeastern University in Boston, MA. I don't want to remember my college career as a place where I was overweight and absolutley miserable. I've been a part of a neverending battle with my weight (among other things) for as long as I can remember and I am making the decision to start now and make a PERMANENT life change. I've decided to look to new places for support because I've learned that the people I look to for support are not a healthy support for this particular mission. That's why I'm here! I'm not on any particular plan except a healthy eating plan.

If anyone wants to team up, meet up, or just adopt me into a support circle, I could sure use it. I have about 50lbs to lose (from 200 to 150 lbs)

Lemme know...I use the journal feature on this site toooooo...look for my entries...and I looooooooooove comments

~Jess~
thecanadian213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 212/205.5/150

Hey! I would love to team up! I have 55 pounds to lose, from 205 to 150. I am also in college, i am going into my second year at Scripps College in Southern California. I am doing the weight watchers point system on my own, I am just too broke right now to afford it. I also have been fighting my weight for years and years. I hate the fact that i gained 11 pounds this year. DAMN COLLEGE DINING HALLS!!! You would think that they would learn to cook healthier foods! So here's to us! What do you say buddy? Let's team up and take our colleges by storm! They won't know what hit them when we are at goal and looking great! Feel free to message me anytime. Hope to hear from you!
cereschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:51 PM   #3  
Angela

S/C/G: 191/163/140

Height: 5'6"

Hi There!!

Don't worry, you are not alone...We have all had our OMG moments! The number on the scale might be different for everyone, but the feeling is much the same......College was tough for me too, i not only gained but the freshman 15 but a few more also!! The late night pizza, cafeteria food, keg parties, and sedentary lifestyle really do a number on the body! It looks like you are pumped to make a change though. You can do it!!!!

I am new to the site, but also what you might call a 'healthy eater'. You might want to check out the calorie counters thread, there seems to be alot of nice people with good, sensible advice about food.

I'm not sure if you have an excercise plan, but I used to live in Boston and thought it was the greatest city to just walk around. I particularly loved the Back Bay area and the Boston Commons. I find that if I just eat healthy and don't add excercise my body loses weight much slower. Besides, the weather in Boston is beautiful this time of year!!

I'm glad that you've figured out that there are people in your life who don't support you. They can make losing weight 10x more challenging and often hinder our best intentions. I've gotten to the point where if i know someone isn't supportive, I don't even let them in on my weight loss plans. It just makes life easier.

I'm not a member of any specific group but would also love to have a few buddies. Send me a message whenever you want! I'd love to know more about you!

It seems from your message you are pumped to do this! LETS DO THIS TOGETHER!!!

Sincerely,
Angela
wish4fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:55 PM   #4  
Angela

S/C/G: 191/163/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Buddy Up Chicas!!

It seems that me, you, and CERESCHICK are on the same page!! Lets keep in touch girls!!! You are both goin on my buddy list
wish4fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:47 PM   #5  

Hey Girls,

I couldn't not reply, everthing you all have said sounds so familiar. I'm in college too, in the end of my first year at the moment. I love college but it's definitely not to most ideal place to be when on a diet.Soo many temptations! The fact my best friend weighs 95pounds doesn't help the self-esteem either. I've already gone through many years of school being overweight, I'm determined college isn't going to be a repeat performance!Looking forward to talking to everyone!
Irish_cailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:57 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I graduated in 2004, but know the pain of trying to lose weight in college very well.

One thing that -really- helped me was to avoid the dining halls whenever possible (do you have a small fridge in your room? Our dorm also had a little kitchen with a stove and oven where I cooked sometimes), carry healthy snacks to class so when you do get to the dining hall, you're not famished from a day of classes with little to no eating...I used to pack yogurts, light babybel cheeses and crackers, fruits, and veggies in a hard-sided tupperware - throw it in the bag, and nothing gets crushed by a notebook.

Also, don't discount one of the major advantages of being a student at a college - most schools have a gym/workout center free for student use. One of the top things I miss about college was the free cardio equipment - treadmills, ellipticals, stairclimbers - and weight machines. I wish I had taken advantage of them earlier in my school experience!

Had to throw in my two cents since I am (in my head at least) just barely out of undergrad.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:21 AM   #7  

Thanks guys! I totally appreciate all of you jumping in! :-) I can't even express how finding this site has really helped me so far, eventhough it's only been a week. I really look forward to talking with you ladies :-) Have a good morning!
Old 05-10-2006, 11:20 PM   #8  

Post Hey !!!!!

HELLO LADIES!!!

OMG!!
I am soooo happy I finally found some college kids like me!! I am in my first (well now going second year) of college and am soooo stressed out all of the time. Not only is school hard I also work part time at a hospital and commute to college.I go to stony brook university in NY and have to commute to my 8:00 am classes and then go to work from 3pm-11pm.I am so stressed and always hungry.I am pre-med so you can only image the course load.I am very aware that clases and life is not going toget any easier so I have to do something about the extra weight .
I have tried every diet known to man and all they have done is made me more tired and depressed.I mean they took off like 10-15lbs but then I just gained it back.I am just really TIRED of being fat. Recently I just gave up dieting and I realized that I was so much happier when I didnt care about my weight or what i was eating. So, I concluded that maybe if I make small changes to my life that are permanent vs. big ridiculos ones it would make a world of a difference. It is cool that I could find college students on this site because( no Offence ) I dont have kids,disabilities, or illness that is stopping me from taking the weight off.It just makes it easier for us to understand eachother.
Right now I weigh 230lbs. and am 5'9". I really want to be a skinny model but ,I will settle for a dove girl commercial. I would love to get into the 9/10 jeans I actually have in my closet and be 155lbs.
Let me know ladies!!What do you think!!
jazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:44 AM   #9  

Hey Jazy,

I haven't been a member of 3FC too too long but for the few weeks that I have been, I have DEF found all the ladies on this site (both in the forum and the journal section) to be VERY supportive! It's like a second family!

I TOTALLY understand what you mean about being happier and less stressed when you're not on a diet and just not worrying about your weight or anything. I find the more that I think about how overweight I am etc I end up getting REALLY depressed and start to eat more so I've decided that this time around I'm not doing a "diet". I've just created a healthy eating plan that works for me. I have just decided what are good foods for me and what are foods that I eat when i'm stressed and that I shouldn't eat too much of. The weight isn't falling off (mostly cause this week and last have been WAY too chaotic for exercise) but I FEEL a lot better about things when I'm not hiding in food. It's nice

I also relate to the chaotic schedule thing. I am on coop at Northeastern University right now and i work at one of the local hospitals in a sleep research lab. My schedule is NEVER the same. I also work alot of overnights which doesn't help stabilize anything.

Hang in there! We're all here for each other! I'm adding you as a buddy!! So feel free to post here oooor private message!

Have a wonderful day

~Jess~

PS...I LOVE SMILEY FACES!!
Old 05-11-2006, 12:08 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 238/238/150

Height: 5'2"

Staying slim in college is hard to do. I was in college for 6 years and gained 50 pounds over those years. Your schedule sucks, the stress level is high and the food at school is never that healthy. It's hard to pack a lunch or healthy snacks cause they get smooshed in your backpack or hot (well down south the heat is a factor). My suggestion is to try to eat as healthy as you can at school and when you are home, kick butt! Walk everywhere you can and drink lots of water. Good Luck!
Alison79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:52 PM   #11  

Hey ladies!! Thanxs for the add jess!!!

I am happy I actually got 7 hours of sleep today.so, i am charged.To me sleep is very important I cant function properly without atleast 5hours a day.I bought a lean cusine to eat for luch at work tommorow.does any one else eat them ?I think they taste good(well maybe certainone like any pasta) but, they sometimes tend not to fill me up.oh, it was also on sale for $2.95 so I new it was a good deal.
I havent done any exercise yet but i wil try to get in a good stretch later.I did this morning. I really havent eaten anything today but i had some almonds. Don't worry I am going to eat .I just want to take it easy today .I think that for me when I start dieting I like my system to be clean and clear so I fast for a day or two. But, then I add some high protien the following day and then start whatever diet I am on.
Technically I am not on any real diet because I really dont have the time or disciple to be really strict with myself but, I am with jess on the eating healthier thing!!

Alison - you have a good point on the water and exercise thing.I got that down. My thing is food.I am going to start to pack a lunch more often maybe keep like fruit cups and pretzels in my car. thank god I dont have a big problem with weather.It dosnt get tooo hot in may and june in NY.But, it is very crazy in july and august.

alright ladies check you out later!!!!!
HEY is anyone going to SUMMER SCHOOL THIS YEAR to get ahead!!!!
Old 05-11-2006, 10:04 PM   #12  

hey ladies hope everyone had a good day !!! stay strong!! night!
Old 05-11-2006, 11:02 PM   #13  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi , welcome to the forum. It looks like you found a lot of college buddies. I remember really packing on a lot of lbs. in college due to pizza and beer of course. Good luck on your new changes and remember these years as the fun ones.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 04:31 PM   #14  

Hey y'all,

Just dropping a note to say hello and make sure everyone is doing well:-) I'm pretty happy, I'm back down to 195! 7 lbs gone! Yay! I'm going to start training to run a 5k this summer (hopefully tomorrow!) yay!

Drop a line and let us know what's up!
Old 05-17-2006, 05:59 PM   #15  

hey whats up!!!
I hope everyone is doing good.
congrats jess on your 7lbs victory !! goodluck on working out!!
wish me good luck to on my working out to !! i hope to start jogging on friday!!
well I will update on thursday on my weight loss I hope for at last 7lbs weight loss also.
bye!!