Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 12-27-2005, 06:13 PM   #1  

Default any buddies for almost 49 yr old???

Hi been here years ago but decided that this year will be it, as i will be 49 this week and am determined to be fit at 50. healthy, fit and foxy would be good.
I have just had a hysterectomy that has put me into menopause with few symptoms so far!!!! YAy
but was hoping someone would like to join me in loosing weight, I have around 50 lbs to loose and want to do it by years end 2006. My birthday is new years eve and that is my goal. 50 lbs by age 50.
so would love someone my age to buddy with, amout to loose doesnt matter and neither does the menopause stuff. lol
Just figured that age can give some pespective.
Hope to get some replies.
fit4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 06:55 PM   #2  
scl

Thumbs up I'll "buddy up" . . .

greetings. Happy upcoming birthday!

I've just completed an education program that (1) consumed life (2) didn't support weight loss goals! I've got a list of "my choice" to do tasks to accomplish . . . including returning to a slimmer version of myself!

My goals for 2006: loose 25 - 35 lbs. Like you, I could stand to loose 50 lbs. But my past experience tells me my personal goal will be a realistic "fit" for me this year, especially with an over 45 metabolism.

So, if you're interested, let me know!
scl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 09:26 AM   #3  

Thumbs up Great I will join you

I am starting today, got up felt like it was time. Weighed myself on my new scales and was 190.0 so figured a not so nice round number so will start today. Told dh that if he insisted on cake for my bday it was going to be a single portion one at the store and we will share it. I am sure the kids arent coming out. IF they do they they will bring angel food cake and it isnt too bad.
I think this time starting out will count cals. and do mostly GI diet. WW and TOPS arent around me ( live out in the country) so will try that again. the cal counting helped me way back when....
so heres to our goals and support .......... We CAN and WILL do it.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:31 AM   #4  

It sounds like a new team is starting...would love to join to -

I VERY much need to lose 60 pounds - I have the over 40+ metabolism as well... I am hoping to count down to a slimmer me.

212 tipping the scales here -
Dee2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:18 AM   #5  
djm

would love you join all of you i am trying to lose 50 by 50 also. i have until june 06
djm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 12:35 PM   #6  
scl

Smile good morning!

Sounds like we have a great start! My goal today, after an appropriate breakfast, is to clean the fridge and pantry. I did a treadmill and light weight session, and -- ugh -- took measurements for a baseline to track progress. They say recording everything keeps us more accountable. Helped once before. Lots to do. I'm only off from work this week, so I have to keep up!
Old 12-28-2005, 06:44 PM   #7  

hi all was so glad to see some other replies, Do you guys want to start a group or whatever. I dont know how but surely we can find out. What do you think is a good name? I only know how to find this if i scroll down this thread so a group in the other area would be better.
i like fit by 50 but some dont need that or arnt quite that age... how about fitnhealthy? gee i dont know any ideas???
today I did well, we had to go to the city ( live an hr away) to see my mother she is in hosp with pneumonia and COPD. so walked in the city while dh fixed dads puter then we went to hosp. first walk I did alone since my surg. lol dh has been taking good care of me.
hope you all had great days too. cya Cin
Old 12-29-2005, 10:02 AM   #8  
scl

Smile How about fitNOTfat2006 ?

Greetings, all.

I read a message this morning the admins move threads from the buddy up to group forum when it appears a group has formed. Not certain how to do so intentionally.

I'd be interested in hearing how different folks will approach this year's goals. After years of trying, the first major successful weight loss I achieved was with a low carb approach. By using the 80/20 rule (be "good" 80% of the time or more), I've maintained the drop and managed fluctuations. I wish, however, this wasn't the only thing that worked for me. I have to travel a lot, and participate in regular work "events" -- for example, an event the entire first week of January -- where I can't control the menu. It doesn't help that when I have intermittent days when I feel like ANY consumable item is up for grabs, as if I could eat cardboard and pencil erasers, even though I tell myself I shouldn't be hungry. What's with that, hmmm?

Ok, have to start my day -- looking forward to checking back later to seeing your responses!

Ciao, bella!
Old 12-29-2005, 11:52 AM   #9  

Ah, the over 40/trying to survive perimenopause group! Finally! I kept going into posts and finding 20 year old/unmarried/nokids- which is so off from where I am!

I'm 47 and have gained so much over the years. Unfortunately, anti-depressants have kept me unmoved by the gain and make it hard to get worked up, but I'm using a new year/new you attitude. It's easy to not look in the mirror and just chalk it up to "My Mom was heavy when I was my daughter's age and now she's not" but I can't do it anymore.

So- 2 kids, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 1 hubby. Technically, I'm a WorkAtHomeMom, but alot of what I do is elsewhere. Main point being that I'm finally available for the kids after school and eves. I do a number of part-time things to bring in a small amount to supplement my DH's salary. This is a change and has made it tough, but I want to be there for the kids. That's another reason to lose weight- they are young (13 and 9) and I need to be healthy for quite a while.

Can I buddy with you too?
busyrae42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 05:08 PM   #10  

Default hi and welcome

I hope you do as that is what I was doing. reading all the posts and most were 20-30 and I just dont feel the same click so hence my first post.
I hope that the admin do make us a group. lol we wont be able to find ourselves.
today I didnt do great, did ver well yesterday my first day but today was good, then 2 cookies and then a phone call. I had my hyst. dec 1 and have never felt better. while in hosp. my Blood pressure in my r arm was very very low, so they suggested I go to dr. so last week went to dr. and she did my bp and was the same in both arms, she listened to chest and back, belly everything and said no noises but will send me for chest xray to maybe peek for clots etc.... well here the drs dont call if there is nothing wrong. so this am. get a call saying what is your work schedule ( i work at the nursing home attached to hosp) i said i am off cos of surg. oh well can you come tomorrow they need to see you for results. so of course OMG whats wrong with me. that bit of medical background can be bad.... anyway go to dr tomorrow at 11. wish me well!!! i dont want surg. for anything let alone heart or clots...eeek
so that had me eat 2 more cookies and a square while dh 2 sisters came to visit. guess that isnt as much as i would normally eat so not bad but.....
so now i have had my tea, it is 6 pm and i will not eat anything else. way I feel i dont think I will cos nauseous now. lol
hope you all did better than I or at least your best.
any ideas on a name for our group?

cya
Old 12-29-2005, 05:46 PM   #11  

hi again just saw the title of your thread scl... I like it although would like something that shows that we are not 20 and 30 year olds. Likebusyrae said she had to search to find a thread that wasnt all younger people. I just need to relate to what we go through with it being harder to loose at this age, menopause or premen., just our life experiences at this time in our lives.
how about fit not fat at 40+ that will show we want to be fit and that we arent way young?
let me know what you all think or if you like the other name no problem.
anyway gotta go.
cya
Old 12-29-2005, 07:11 PM   #12  

Default Fit Over 40

I agree a title that reflects our demographic is a great idea.

Will think of you tomorrow at 11- good luck with the doctor. I'll be cooking away- we're having a Hannukah dinner for 170(!) and I'm doing green beans and chocolate fondue. Others are doing the rest, but I said I'd be there for the day to help. Don't know what I'll do with the kids yet. DD can help, but DS will be cranky hanging out all day.

Shopped at Costco for tomorrow and avoided all the 'bad' stuff except one mix for DD who loves cinnamon rolls. Trying to watch what I eat today and will somehow fit in a walk although it's getting late. Have laundry to do and all that other stuff too-
Old 12-30-2005, 09:40 AM   #13  
scl

Cool Fit NOT FAT at 40+

Hey, I actually have a book with the title above (with out the "all caps" emphasis). It's one of the stack I pulled out for inspiration / preparation.

Pantry is clear -- I tossed all kinds of items, stuff I didn't even know was there from years back. Also packed (and froze for rest of the family) the rest of the holiday cookies and candy.

Progress this week involves 4 of 5 days on the treadmill. Totally certain I didn't burn enough calories to make up for the pie I ate, but I've tossed out the rest after one last piece day before yesterday.

Loving the demographically aligned team. I'll search the site for how to get set up as a group. Meanwile, anymore thoughts on a name? Will the above work?
Old 12-30-2005, 11:15 AM   #14  

Yesterday was good food-wise. Does shopping at costco count as walking? I guess even if it doesn't we got lost in the 'mall' (outdoor) and walked quite a bit. DS and I were buying for tonight's dinner for Hannukah. In keeping with the 'new me' I got more fruit and pretzels for the chocolate fondue than cake/marshmallows. All that chocolate isn't a big problem for me somehow- it's the crunchy stuff that usually gets me.

So as I read email, etc. before waking the kids I realize that I need to start eating breakfasts. I'm somewhat lactose intolerant, but have the special milk (DS is VERY intolerant to milk) so should have bought granola or other healthy cereal. I think there's some cheese and biscuits in from last night.

So, off I go to cook all day. My lunch break will be a walk if it doesn't rain!
Old 12-30-2005, 01:53 PM   #15  

hi all, well the dr apt. was fine. I love this nurse practitioner she spends way more time with me than dr and listens well. found out she is only 2 wks younger than I am too. anyway the exrays were great, and Bp the same in both arms. so she said get someone to check it once a month at work and otherwise all fine. she also checked my belly and stuff and said doing remarkably well for total abd. hyst dec 1. so I am pleased and raring to go.
have done great with food today, pouring rain so havent walked. must address that issue somehow, get some rain gear or something.
anyway i love the fit not fat at 40+ but i too have read that book think we may be plagurizing? how about fit and healthy at 40+ then it is changed some.
I love the buddy group thing and yes if SCl can get the group started great!!!
I will have to add you guys to the buddy thing, i see it in our personal stuff but once added not sure how to use it. lol
anyway must go, think will go for a walk if not pouring! be alone dog and dh wont want to go. cya.