Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 07:04 PM   #1  

Question College students or girls wanting to lose 10 by Xmas!

Hi everybody,

I hope that there isn't any thread already like this.

I'm new here...obviously! I'm 19 and a college student, and I have recently (in the last couple of weeks) gained a bit of weight. I was successfully losing weight but I seem to have fallen off the bandwagon and am looking for support and people to talk to!

I have problems with eating wayyyy too much, but I'm fairly active, so I think if I can just stay away from the ice cream and cookies I'll be golden.

Anyone else out there in High School or College or recent graduates looking to lose about 10 lbs?

I'm 5'8, about 137 (was 134 until recently) and I want to be 125 by Christmas and hopefully 119 sometime next year.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:59 PM   #2  
Future Derby Girl

S/C/G: 225/223/135

I have a bit more to lose than you do but I am up to the challenge of ten by Christmas!!!
Old 11-27-2005, 10:28 PM   #3  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

Default I'll join

Hey there!

My name is Dana, I am 25 and from Canada. I would love to join this "ten by christmas" challenge. Currently I am not in school, I was attending teacher's college up until a year ago when I was dianosed with Leukemia...I had a Stem cell transplant in March 2005 and have been healthy ever since!!! weeeeee But unfortuately with treatment along came lack of exercise and weight gain. I was very active before I got sick, very into the whole weightlifting thing (avid reader of Oxygen Magazine), but now am lacking motivation BIG TIME! Part of it being afraid to push myself too much and a part of it just lack of MOTIVATION! Soooooo I would love to post here what we have done/ate each day to keep us accountable!!!

My weaknesses are:
I HATE CARDIO!(except I don't mind walking so much or even classes but as the winter comes walking is a no go...and I have not been to a class since I have been off treatment...a little scared)
I LOVE CHOCOLATE ( its my "trigger" food so I don't even have one bite or else...I can't stop) sound silly I know...
I LOVE TO EAT OUT ( my boyfriend and I eat out probably 2-3 times a weekend)
I AM TOO LAZY TO COOK (but I am willing to do it to lose the weight, who knows maybe I will end up liking it!)

So yeah that is a little about me, I need a do over of today...just a complete WRIGHT OFF! hahaha but tomorrow is monday...

What are the rest of you studying at school, what kind of plan are you on? what type of exercise regimine are you doing?

Fitgal2
Old 11-28-2005, 10:19 AM   #4  

magicalstasia: Are you in school? I'm a Sophomore and an English major/ cultural studies minor.

fitgal2: I'm so glad that you're better. I have a lot of the same weaknesses as you.

What are you guys doing for exercise? I'm going to be walking. I really really hate exercise, and I find that low impact walking is the best for me. I'm thinking of doing two half hour walks today. Does anybody know if it is better to walk twice for 30 minutes or once for 60..? I also do a Pilates DVD for toning. I just started again yesterday, but it's really hard to remember to do it every day.

Food-wise I'm going to try to avoid sweets, too many carbs, and pre-packaged foods. I'm going to really focus on eating fresh veggies and fruits for the most part. Plus egg whites are really good for you, lots of protein and not many calories.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:57 AM   #5  
Want them Muscles!

Hey GG!
Thanks, I am feeling much better! For exercise, I am going to do a Power 90 DvD, and lift weights first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. I am planning to walk on the days that it is not too cold out, or even just walk the malls here for and hour or two (hehehe better than nothing). I am actually doing a 2-day juice/veggie fast for monday and tuesday, no exercise until Wednesday. NOt sure if it REALLY works for weight loss but When ever I do it I just FEEL CLEAN on the inside.

I am slo making it my goal to go to one class before christmas, just to see how my body holds up. (maybe I will do a spinning class, that way I am sitting down if I happen to faint LOL)

I too am going to aviod sweets. I find that if I have even a bite I start to crave the sweets, so better to just not have them at all.

I have also decided to allow my self ONE treat a week, that will be my Vanilla Latte from starbucks (mmmmmm ) and just regular coffee with milk on the other days, otherwise if I am craving something I will drink 1 glass of water and have a fruit/veggie!

ok so that is my "plan" hope you have a great day!!!

Fitgal
Old 11-28-2005, 12:06 PM   #6  

Hello, I'm up the challenge as well. I have been trying since the beginning of November and I've had no luck. Only one pound . I joined a gym then too and I've been going for 40 min. Then I try to do sit ups after. I only did that about once a week though.

My weekly goals:
Eat breakfast-eggs
Don't drink a lot (beer especially)
Gym at least 4 times a week
Abs at least 3
Lift weights 2-3
When I work at the restaurant....DON'T SNACK

Good luck GuillotineGreta, Fitgal2, and magicalstasia!
Old 11-28-2005, 03:43 PM   #7  

I would love a christmas challenge. That is my original plan anyway so it would be great to go through it with other people. I am 22 and a college student. we could set a day for weekly weigh ins and stuff.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:32 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR'sGirl
I would love a christmas challenge. That is my original plan anyway so it would be great to go through it with other people. I am 22 and a college student. we could set a day for weekly weigh ins and stuff.
Great, how about Mondays?
Old 11-28-2005, 04:44 PM   #9  
Want them Muscles!

Hey all,
Mondays are fine, I tend to "splerge" over the weekends, so maybe this will force me not to!! haha

Are we all going to post daily menus? Daily exercise?

Fitgal
Old 11-28-2005, 06:18 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitgal2
Hey all,
Mondays are fine, I tend to "splerge" over the weekends, so maybe this will force me not to!! haha

Are we all going to post daily menus? Daily exercise?

Fitgal
I think that would be good. It will keep us on track. Sometimes I work double shifts, so I may not be able to post right away, but I will do it the next day.

I did NOT go to the gym today, shame on me. I've been relaxing and I don't have a better excuse.

I also have no food in my house so all I ate today was a piece of cheese and some leftover turkey that my mom sent home with me. That is terrible. I am going to start better tomorrow.

Any more suggestions for us??????
Old 11-28-2005, 07:23 PM   #11  
Future Derby Girl

S/C/G: 225/223/135

Hey, I am looking for exercise videos, anyone know of some good ones??? Oh, I will weigh in on Mondays too, I hate doing that but I need to keep myself on track on weekends, and that is the perfect way. So far I have found that my biggest cravings for junk food come in the evening, does anyone have a solution??
Old 11-28-2005, 07:39 PM   #12  

Hey guys! I am definitely in on this. There aren't many college students on this board so it's great to finally join a group of people who know what it's like to juggle intense studying, a social life with constant binge drinking, and being on your own with the cooking (late night pizza... eech!). I am 21 so drinking is definitely one of my big issues because I can do it in restaurants and bars and everyone is like "hey we're 21 lets get trashed."
Old 11-28-2005, 11:22 PM   #13  
Want them Muscles!

Default Haha oh college!!!

Hahaha
I can relate to the drinking...the crowd I used to hand out with were really into it...Me, not so much...my trick-->water and bar lime...it looks like a real drink and if anyone asks its vodka, water bar lime...plus they will be sooo trashed that they won't even notice...however if you do feel like a REAL drink go for the vodka, water bar lime, or even something with diet soda...less calories...

Oh and I can totally relate to the "cooking on your own". I was the queen of stir fry, so my housemates called me. I did findout that it really is not hard to get the roomies to join in on the cooking fun, whats hard is healthy meals...Not everyone understands the desire to be healthier...or a smaller size. I just told my roomies flat out when I started my new way of life...I said to them, I am not lucky like the rest of you, I am not blessed with a fast metabolism, I HAVE to watch what I eat and exercise. Before I knew it, I had them curious and wanting to cook healthy too! I have an idea for getting your rommies to join in: set a night and designate it as "cultural Cuisine" night. Each roomate will be resposible for a night where they find the recipie, buy the ingredience and EVERYONE helps cook...and even if you don't have roomies, gather a bunch of friends and do the same thing!

So today, I went to see the musical Miss Siagon...I was disapointed. But we did go for dinner before hand, I was sooooo good. Had a salad and stir fry, I ate all the veggies from the stif fry and left the rice, by that time i was soo full I could not eat the rice...haha oh well.

Magicalsita~ I hear Tea Boe is great I have the Power 90 DvDs I find these kinda boring, but they are good for the days I can't make it to the gym...which seems to be all too often (hummmm)

Gliterdone~coudos to you for relaxing, you got to do it once and a while- besides, you don't want to creat an aversion to the gym if you really don't feel like going don't (just don't make it a habit) otherwise workingout will become something even more negative...find other ways to exercise-- I go window shopping LOL for like two hours LOL

Last edited by fitgal2; 11-28-2005 at 11:42 PM.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:38 PM   #14  
At it again

S/C/G: 166/160/140

Height: 5'4

I wanna join!

I'm a 19 year old soph. and a Mass Comm major
10 pounds seems like a pretty good goal. I just need to lose something.
My main goal is to start using the weight room at our rec center, I always feel strange going in there.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:45 PM   #15  
Want them Muscles!

Eggers! Welcome!
If you have any questions let us know...I am sure someone here will be able to give you tips...oh and don't be scared of the gym...everyone had to start somewhere!

Idea: do you know anyone in Kinesiology? Physio? Ask them to show you the ropes!
Closed Thread