Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 06:00 PM   #1  

Default In need of support and ideas!

Dieting sometimes feels neverending, doesn't it?
I joined this board in hopes of gaining some insights for my husband and I who are just plain bored with our diets and our menus!
Looking forward to meeting you all!

Lauren
Old 05-18-2005, 10:04 AM   #2  
stbakd

hi lauren try jazzing up your menu with differant meals.drink lots of water. glen
Old 05-18-2005, 12:01 PM   #3  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I'm not sure why you'd be bored with them. Are you trying to eat healthy now compared to how you used to eat? Ok, so what did you used to eat? For example:

Say you used to have spaghetti, you can still do that, just switch to whole wheat pasta. Use ground turkey instead of ground beef, or try it with no meat at all. I make my sauce using a can of no salt added diced tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, oregano, garlic and green peppers.

How about if you like meatloaf? Try a turkeyloaf instead.

Substitute mashed potatoes with mashed cauliflower.

Substitute breads with whole grain breads.

Eating healthy doesn't mean giving up good foods, it just means using healthier ingredients for the most part.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:34 PM   #4  

I love to cook but hate that "nouveau" stuff. My dh is a basic meat and potato kind of guy so I wanted to be able to stay with that. I fix those kind of meals, but changed them, ie chicken fried steak, fried chicken, salisbury steak, beef stew etc. You can make a HUGE difference in meals that you eat now just by changing how they are cooked. Use Pam instead of oils or butters, use egg beaters instead of eggs, make gravy with ff beef broth instead of fat drippings, use ff buttermilk instead of milk in mashed potatoes and no butter, use ff chicken stock and egg beaters to make dumplings or noodles. Unlike most, I don't see white flour at the enemy, just a LOT of white flour as bad. I try and keep my pastas, rices, breads etc in a good range, like once a day instead of every meal. The other stuff may be better for you, but it does you no good if you won't eat it right??? I found that you can keep your good ole comfort food but make it much healthier and lower in fat and calories. Boredom means that program is NOT for you, find something else before you start eating badly again. PM me if you would like some of these recipes. I would be glad to send them to you.

Faye
Old 05-18-2005, 08:30 PM   #5  
AndreainNovaScotia

I gave up the frying pan a few months ago...I never have a piece of meat anymore...rather ill use 1 bl/sl chicken breast lots of veggies like colliflower, brocolli, peppers, bok choy, etc. and make a stir fry using vegetable broth instead of oils...for me an my husband (who's a lot cheaper to feed since he started using Merida, thank you very much)

There is a product I use quite regularly too called TVP (texturized Vegetable Protien) now before you go ewww, and turn up your nose, hear me out...I use it with Ground Beef or Ground Chicken....You re-hydrate it with veggie broth or chicken/beef broth and use it in you lasagna, chili, etc...Its not too appetizing on its own, but you'll never know the difference in a dish like that, and its cheap too.....It contains soy so its really good for you..

Another thing i do is make my salads into meals by adding protien like cheese (smoked types are really good), and trail mixes....Better than croutons for you and more satisfying....Apples are another good add in

hope this gives you some help
Closed Thread