Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 01:13 AM   #1  

Default Can't be a loser

Hey ladies-

I have been on the get in shape wagon for almost 5 months. I exercise 5-6 times a week either at Curves or out walking. I havent lagged at all which makes me quite proud. I never worked out before this and every time I did it didnt last for more than a few weeks, 2 months was my longest. I am up to 5 now but I'm afraid I am loosing motivation. I have lost a grand total of 27.75 body inches since I started back in July. I was really excited as I was loosing the inches but I have not lost a SINGLE pound. I keep hearing that inches are what count and not to pay any attention to the scale. I have been trying to keep that in mind, but its still frustrating! At this point even loosing 5 lbs would fabulous! I have tried so hard ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I do NOT want to loose motivation I am doing so well. The inches are coming off and my clothes are getting bigger every day but those pounds just wont start falling off. Any words of encouragement? They would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-11-2004, 08:19 AM   #2  

I know you know this, but you are gaining muscle and losing fat, which is why your scale weight has stayed the same and your body is getting smaller. I can definitely sympathize because we all like to see that scale move! Why don't you ask the ladies at Curves if they can calculate your body fat percentage before and now and convert that to pounds of fat lost. That may help. I would recommend that you find other ways of motivating yourself, like maybe getting a map and logging your miles on the map from your house to say Paris. Each week you can log how many miles you have walked and see how close you are getting. That's just a suggestion. Or how about drawing a circle the circumference of what your hips and waist were and what they are now. You can draw the first circle in one color and the new circle inside that in another color. Each time you lose an inch or two you can draw a new circle inside the other. It would help to visualize how you are shrinking.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:01 AM   #3  

Hey, Piink, did you check out the replies from us? I think mapping your mileage is a great idea, too. As hard as it is, you need to think about changing your focus. Perhaps look to another goal for awhile, like meeting a mileage goal or clothing size goal. Also, have your eating habits changed? Are you eating smaller meals with snacks in between or are you sticking with 3 meals a day? Just know your metabolism is kicking in. Think of how much fat your body is burning now since you've been exercising so much! But you need to feed your body and at the right times. Do you eat before bed? Anyway, I'm not sure if this helps at all. Don't give up! You've worked so hard. You have changed and for the better. Do you have before and after photos? Take a look at those. Also, put on the clothes and feel the difference in how loose things are. That's your positive reinforcement. Keep it up. You'll get there.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:56 AM   #4  

Piink, you also may want to change up your exercise routine. I don't know if you have access to some resistance machines, but our bodies get used to the exercise we do after a few months. Maybe Pilates or swimming would be a good alternative. Just something to think about.

Good luck.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:08 PM   #5  

Hello
I totally know how you feel. I was there for sooo long. I knew I was losing something becuase my clothes fit better but the scales never went either way. What got me out of that was water. I started drinking more water. then I sarted to see the pound on the scale moving. I went from 250 to like 230 in two weeks, it was incrediable. It really just literally started to come off. Now at 190 lbs I notice that when I have a week where I didnt drink alot of water, I will actully gain or stay the same. But when I drink the water , watch what I eat and exercise I lose anywhere from 3 - 9 lbs! Maybe something to think about?

cheers
Phoenix
Old 11-11-2004, 11:01 PM   #6  

Wow thanks to all of you who replied. It feels good to know that you all can sympathize and your suggestions were great. Spoild, I definately want to try them out. The mileage mapping and the drawings those are great ideas! Rebecca,just these past 2 weeks I started walking 3 times a week and Curves 3 times a week. The first 2 months I was doing pilates 3 times a week. Phoenix, you are right I have not been drinking my minimum 8 glasses a day. I did when I first started and lately I have been lagging on the water business. I am definately going to start drinking up again! Thanx again for the great support girls!
-PiinK
Old 11-11-2004, 11:09 PM   #7  

Rebecca- you are right I need to change my goal at least for now. I definately need to focus on something other than the scale.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:45 PM   #8  

Hi there yes I think water is what every one needs I am back on water to it is easy to drop good habits and if you have read or been on lots of different diets you will notice every one of them say drink at less eight glasses of water ... so try it and see if it will help Grandma 57 Jean
Old 11-16-2004, 10:18 PM   #9  

Hi grandma Jean= ] thanx for replying to me. I need to get better at checking this every day. Before I know it days have gone by. I ve been trying extra hard to drink my water. i got in all 8 today. But I'm fighing off a sweet tooth today. Blah. I'm feeling good though. I hit the gym early this morning and I wore a cute outfit today. Including a pair of pants that hadnt fit me in about a year. Today was a good day. How is everyone else doing?
Closed Thread