Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 02:06 PM   #1  

Default Big girl needs some help! Anyone with gallbladder problems?

Hey everyone! I had a major set back, gained 10 pounds! I'm feeling really depressed, I really need to get back on track. I have gallstones, my doctors told me to follow a fat free diet until I've made up my mind about surgery. I'm having a hard time following the diet. If you got any info or advice I would greatly appreciate it. Or if anyone can offer some support that would be great too! I need some help staying on track!

Last edited by suchaprettyface125; 11-10-2004 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:20 PM   #2  
tired of being fat

Default hi There

Hello,
I just wanted to say that after I had my daughter (3 1/2 years ago) I had gallbladder surgery. The pain that I felt every time that I had an attack was so much worse then haveing the surgery. Although before I did have it I was eating practically NO fat and did lose 10 pounds in 2 weeks. I gained it back 3 times over, because after the surgery I felt I could eat anything and not worry about the attacks. Didn't even think about the weight gain part of it. In any event what ever you decide to do I'm sure will be best for you. I wish you all the best. Have a healthy day.

Lori
Old 11-10-2004, 02:22 PM   #3  

have you had any problems, beside the weight gain?
Old 11-10-2004, 03:05 PM   #4  

I had surgery about 14 years ago. I still have to eat pretty low fat because I have found that if I don't I have terrible heartburn.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:13 PM   #5  
Healthy and Positive!

Default Me too!

It's interesing to come in here and see this today. I just had my ultrasound yesterday and got the confirmation this morning that I have gallstones. I have a consult with the surgeon tomorrow, and I'm definitely going to go on and get it done.. I'm done with that pain! I've been told so many times that the surgery for it is a snap.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:38 PM   #6  

Hi....my hubby just had this surgery....he had 2 attacks...during the night...had an ultrasound done...that night had surgery. He says the surgery was easy compared to the pain he was in during the attacks. He is about 2 weeks post op and feeling fine. He was painting the night after his surgery. I told him to take it easy but he said he was fine. The only after effects so far has been tiredness and his belly still hurts. They just made 4 small incisions on his belly. As for his diet...the surgeon said anything he felt like eating was fine. But will know more in months if he had to change his diet any. Anyways goodluck in your decision.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:16 PM   #7  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Did he want you to remain totally fat free? Or can you have certain "good fats"? When I first started trying to change my eating, I went all fat free. There's so much you can find that it makes it easier. I replaced pretty much all my meat with soy substitutes. I taste tested many soy products. IE: Veggie cheese in provolone and pepper jack are good, but the others pretty much stink. LOL

I used veggie crumbles in cooking, veggie breakfast links, veggie weiners, etc., and used Amy's organic and soy luncheons for work. I looked for everything that said fat free on it and ate lots of veggies and fruit.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:15 PM   #8  

he said mostly fat free, very very low fat. I'm vegan so meat isn't a problem but soy dream is and junk food is. I'm trying to eat better. I did pretty good today. I'm so greatful for all the advice and responses! Thanks so much!
Old 11-16-2004, 11:59 AM   #9  

I had gallbladder surgery two years ago. I had just had my youngest daughter when I had my first attack. I thought I was having a heart attack. My first attempt at surgery did not go well, because when they put me to sleep my heart stopped. Turns out I had developed cardiomyopathy during my pregnancy, and my heart was only working half of what it should. We had to postpone surgery for a little while. But I got to the point where even a dry piece of toast would set off an attack, so we did another echocardiagram and my heart was back to normal. The surgery was sooo less painful than the attacks I was having.

Goodluck in whatever decision you make.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:56 PM   #10  
Addicted to potato salad!

Chalk me up to gall bladder surgery as well!! It was an absolute breeze! I suffered with the attacks for a year and a half because I didn't have health insurance. (Don't get me started...) My advice for dealing with the attacks when until you get the surgery is to walk it off. As much as you don't want to, it helped the pain to pass quicker. You may walk bent over and I wouldn't suggest walking far from home, but get up and walk if you can. Also, to avoid attacks, the trick is to avoid anything that makes your gallbladder try and do it's job. It was explained to me that the gall bladder was made for early man to help hid digest tons of food that he's eat after going days with not much to eat. When he finally got ahold of some food he would eat a ton and the gall bladder produces extra bile to help the digestion of it along.

Well, now that civilized humans eat three times a day plus snacks, it gets under used and the bile it produces calcifies or something and turnes to stones. Then when the gall bladder gets used, it sometimes stirs up the stones and one gets stuck...or something like that.

Anyhow, the trick is to avoid food that you would need extra bile to digest (this is fast becoming a gross post)...such as fatty, greasy food. Ask the doctor if you can have some Prilosec once a day to help reduce the bile production as well. I think it was prilosec...the purple pill? That helped tremendously until I had insurance and could get the surgery.

Which...surgery is definitely your choice, but let me tell you, your stones aren't going anywhere on their own and life if definitely much better lived without that nasty little body part known as a gall bladder. The surgery...well, coming home from surgery sucked with my front all bandaged up, but really, you go in to the surgery, they put a mask on your face and next thing you're waking up and it's over. Then you have a few hours of recovery, all which is nothing compared to an average gall bladder attack...and next day, you're eating toast and tea and can look forward to a future with never having another nasty attack again!! After the bandages came off, I was amazed at how itty bitty the incisions that I had. Seriously, the stretch marks from being pregnant are much more my problem than the surgery marks. I have to really look hard to find them.

Good luck with whatever you decide...

Techwife
Closed Thread