Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 10:58 AM   #1  
CuteChubbyCanadianChick!!

Cool Canadian Newbie

[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Hello!! I'm a 26 year old female from Toronto, and I'm really new to these message board things ... I guess basically that I'm looking for a few people that I can chat with and get to know a little better. I have about 50 pounds that I'd like to lose, but before I can commit myself to a specific weight loss plan, I' d like to talk to a few people who have either been through what I'm going through, or are in the process of doing it right now! My friends and family just don't seem to understand my desire to lose my weight and my fiancee thinks I look fine the way I am (Bless his heart ) I know that it's just a personal thing that I'd like to do so I feel better about myself. Anyways.... thank you for reading this and hopefully we can talk soon!![/COLOR]
Old 09-10-2004, 11:10 AM   #2  
Cdn Lifetime WW Member

I too am Canadian and would like to chat with someone who understands weightloss. My DH is a diabetic who has an extremely high metabolism and could eat at McD 7 days a week and not gain a pound.

I lost 30lbs on Weight Watchers and highly recommend it. The initial idea of spending money every week to weigh in is a little daunting but when you look at other things like Jenny Craig or LA Weight loss, it is actually cheaper to do it this way and it rewires your brain to food. Enough Preaching!!

I am 33 and have a 2 year old son (the cause of my weight gain, but worth it all the way). I am happily married to a wonderful man who also thought I looked good the way I was.

When are you planning to get married?

Maura
Old 09-10-2004, 11:26 AM   #3  

We're aiming for Sept 2006, but the way things are going now.... looks like it'll be 2007. I was considering weight watchers, but I don't know if I could stick to the points thing.... I don't do very much cooking for myself because I live with my in-laws and my mother in law cooks for the family. I have a hard time with healthy choices because shes and old fashioned Italian who LOVES to cooks YUMMY, FATTENING foods!! I think I might be addicted to carbs too..... does WW help you with things like that?
Old 09-10-2004, 12:17 PM   #4  
Cdn Lifetime WW Member

Wild,

You may want to look into the new Core program. You don't count points except for stuff that isn't on the core food list and that list includes all of your lean meats, all veggies, all whole grains, all fat free dairy. I bet there is over a 150 items on the Core list. Then you get 35 Point for other stuff.

Let me know if you want a quick list of the Core foods.

Tobaccy - Sorry I can't help you I don't make Poutine. Good luck on your quest for new ways of preparing.

Maura
Old 09-10-2004, 12:35 PM   #5  
Cdn Lifetime WW Member

Wild,

I was wondering if you wanted to start a Canadian Thread with me? We have unique food and there are a lot of weightloss tools that the US gets but we don't.

Maura
Old 09-10-2004, 01:55 PM   #6  
Vermin's Mum

Location: Nova Scotia (in my heart of hearts--headed there in a bit under 2 years)

Tobaccygirl,

I've made a slightly healthier version of poutine by making my own gravy with chicken broth so I can control the fat content (I'm partial to usinging corn starch as a thickener), and cutting my own fries but instead of frying them, broiling them in the oven. This crisps them nicely, and gives great colour, but vastly cuts down on the fat. As for cheese, try substituting shredded monterey jack--its mild flavour is at least somewhat similar to cheese curds. If you can find it, go with a reduced fat cheese.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:20 PM   #7  
Vermin's Mum

Location: Nova Scotia (in my heart of hearts--headed there in a bit under 2 years)

Maura and Wild,

May I join in on your thread? I'm not in Canada yet, but am getting ready to apply to immigrate, and spend as much time as possible in NB or NS.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:30 PM   #8  
Cdn Lifetime WW Member

The more the merrier Willendorf. What's your story about moving here? I love to hear when people choose my wonderful country to move to. I have a Aussie friend who is in the last stages of citizenship.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:47 PM   #9  
Vermin's Mum

I have wanted to leave the States and move to Canada for many years, but have only just recently been in a position to make the change. I absolutely love Canada and am a much better fit philosophically there than in the States. I think your priorities are much more in order and certainly a lot saner than are the case in the US. I also have a LOT of CDN friends who tell me they think the stork dropped me off in the wrong place by mistake. *grin*

I just graduated with my BSN and have passed my boards, so I now have skills that are very much needed in Canada, and which will improve my chances of being accepted by immigration. I would file my paperwork now, but I have a two year work commitment to practice where I am now, so I am timing my application so that I will hopefully have landing papers about the time that obligation is fulfilled. (I got 15k in scholarships, and so long as I work the two years I won't have to pay any of that back. Sweet deal, eh? )

At any rate, NS is calling my name and I'm very much looking forward to buying a house and settling down there. I've been researching immigration requirements, the cost of living, labour market, weather, etc for nearly 3 years now, and have given a lot of though to where I would want to settle. What provinces are you all from?
Old 09-12-2004, 03:41 PM   #10  

Maura,
Hey Girl!!! I haven't had a chance to respond in a couple days because I was out of town for a wedding, but I think a Canadian thread would be a fantastic idea!! Thanks for the advice about WW, I think within the next couple weeks I'm gonna make a commitment and try out at least one meeting!!
And Tobaccygirl.... as far as POUTINE goes, I think Maura has a great idea with the baked fries as opposed to the deep fried ones, but personally I think that you can't go wrong with a nice beef gravy. I usually just take the stock from a nice lean roast and thicken it up a bit with some corn starch solution and a few flavor accents (Mrs. Dash works wonders!) and VOILA!!
Willendorf, Actually I was born in NS, but have live in ONT for most of my life. I'm hoping for my honeymoon that we can take a trip down east. I haven't been back in YEARS, but I have friends and family that tell me its beautiful down there, so hopefully!!
Old 09-12-2004, 03:50 PM   #11  

Another question I had was..... Has any one here tried "Curves"? You know the "30-minute weight loss gym for women" There's one right down the street from me, and I was thinking about checking it out, but I don't wanna spend all that money on a membership if I'm not going to stick with it. Every time I see the commercial on the TV, I feel like I'm gonna cry because they all say things like " in 30 minutes I became a bigger woman..... in a smaller dress size" ect...., and that song!!! "This little light of mine.... I'm gonna let it shine..." DANG!! Just gets me deep down inside somewhere!!
Old 09-12-2004, 04:52 PM   #12  

Default Fellow Candian who wishes to join

I am 32 and have lived in Toronto all my life (never actually been anywhere) and I would love to join you guys. It has been awhile since I have joined a thread and I really need it for motivation. I have a 11 year old daughter, finance, 2 cats, a turtle and three goldfish (three for now because really they are the turtle' food but he can't seem to catch them) My life is revolves around making them happy and work. I haven't had alot of time (or the energy) for friends lately and I think joining a thread would help me be more social.

You guys talking about poutine makes me hungry. I can't go near any sort of potatoe as I know that my body hates bad carbs and as long as I stay away from them I continue to gradually lose weight, so no potatoes, rice or bread of any kind for me right now. So far I have lost 37 pounds since March and looking to loose another 25. I find when I join a thread that has a challenge I hold myself more accountable and do not cheat as much.

I could also help with the immigration process to Canada if you need any advice as that is what I do for a living. but it sounds like you know all about it already.

Dale
Old 09-12-2004, 08:12 PM   #13  
Vermin's Mum

Pleased to meet you Dale.

My big question about immigration is when to file my application. I have that work commitment here and I know landing papers are only good for a finite period, so I need to time things carefully in order to be free to move when those papers come through.
In the interim, I'm going to sit for my CDN boards and get my license to practice as an RN (I have a BSN, which is what the provinces are working towards) and open a CDB savings account. That way I can easily prove that I have the requisite funds to resettle (though as an RN employability is NOT going to be a problem) and that I am able to work ASAP once I do arrive. Hopefully that will help my case with immigration.
If you can think of anything else I can do to improve my odds of acceptance I would love to hear them I'll be putting my three children on my application as well, ages 13, 15, and 17 currently. With respect to my eldest, how many days a year must she physically reside in Canada to keep her status as a landed immigrant? She may choose to attend University in the States as opposed to Canada but does not want to lose her imigration status.

Wild,

I have a Curves membership now and like it. Its quick, easy, and reasonably convenient, though I do wish they had Sunday hours. There is a nice sense of community as well, and that helps keep up the motivation to go. Other than that, I'm on my 1st week of WW, doing the flex plan. So far no loss (pouting a tad) but I am sticking to my daily points range, so I'm hoping I see a change soon.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:22 PM   #14  
Cdn Lifetime WW Member

Hey there everyone.

Talk about not being able to chat in a while.

Wild, I love weddings. Where was it? I know the comercial you are talking about. I have a neighbour who goes. She has twin 3 year olds (when I think my life is tough I just think of her a quit wallowing in self pity) and she loves it.

Willendorf (is that what you want us to call you?) - I sure does sound like you are a Canuck at heart, so we would be happy to have you!!!

Dale - You are more than welcome to join. Sure sounds like you have a full house there. I just have a son, husband (an amazing one at that (just let my mother stay for 8 weeks ) and I can understand how hard it is to get out there with friends.

Wild - You posted is just the time it took me to hit "Post a Reply". I can't think of anything but I will chat with my aussie friend and see if she has any tips. She has had an application since before 9-11 (which added about a year and a half on to the process) and is a resident (pardon the pun) expert. I think I will start using my membership to our local pool once a week as me time.

Does anyone have mother-in-law issues?? I love mine but sometime she frustrates me soo much. We live in Airdrie (just outside of Calgary) and they live in our home town of Winnipeg. We are just starting to work through debt issues and all I get from her is "why aren't you coming home at Christmas??" Well for starters it cost us $3000 and that would put a serious dent in our debt reduction in 3 months time. . she always has her 2 cents to say except when we say for her to pay for us to come, then silence. AAAHHHHH! Thanks for listening just needed to get that off my chest.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:12 AM   #15  
Vermin's Mum

Willendorf Woman is a reference to the Venus of Willendorf, which is a beautiful little statuette that was carved in paleolithic times in Europe. The Venus is an even more robustly shaped woman than I am, and is thought to be a fertility symbol--what I love about her is that she seems so serene and comfortable in her body. I also love the fact that she was obviously cherished enough in life to serve as a model for this statuette, girth and all. Do a web search on Venus of Willendorf and you will find a lot of images of her--the actual statue fits in the palm of your hand, and the detail is rather amazing given her size and the fact that she was probably carved with stone tools.

My real name is Katlinel, but most folks call me Kat. I'm a 37 year old single mother to three teens (13,15,and 17), three cats (1, 5, and 11), and two rats. I have a good 90 lbs to lose and right now seem to be holding steady at 222. I wish the scale would go dowm, but at least I can take comfort in the fact that its not moving up.
Closed Thread