Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 01:17 PM   #1  

Default newbie here looking for some support

hey everyone! my name is courtney and i'm a 19 year old living in north carolina. at not quite 5 ft and 153 lbs i'm about 40 lbs overweight. i want desperately to shed those pounds. right now i am reading jay mcgraw's book the ultimate weight loss solution for teens. i was born with heart complications and have had several major surgeries to correct them. it is difficult for me to exercise because a-i'm out of shape, b-i have no motivation, and c-my enlarged heart causes me to get out of breath more easily. i came here in hopes of finding a "buddy" to help me throughout my weight loss journey. my family and friends are not very supportive so i figured that people who are going through the same struggles would be able to help keep me accountable, ask me about my progress, share their experiences and progresses with me, etc. so that i know i am not alone in this battle. thank you all so muc for taking the time to read this. feel free to send me a message or even an e-mail. thanks again
Old 08-13-2004, 01:24 PM   #2  
xO kAiTIkaT xO

Smile

hello! i would be your buddy if you need one! im a little younger than you though. im 13 and im going into 8th grade.

let me know if ya need a buddy!

-kaitikat
Old 08-13-2004, 08:56 PM   #3  

Hi Courtney Elaine - I'll offer any support that I can give. I think it's really hard to be young and heavier than you'd like to be. There's so much pressure out there in our culture. My parents used to nag me a lot, but never really offered the kind of support I needed. How are you planning to get in shape?
Old 08-13-2004, 10:30 PM   #4  

Thanks tiredoffat! I need all the help I can get. My mom always nags me that I need to lose weight, but then she brings nothing but junk food into the house. I finally got onto her the other day and she bought home a bunch of fruit and salad stuff. But anyway, my plan right now is to start eating more fruits and veggies, drinking more water, cutting down (and hopefully cutting out) junk foods and sodas. As for exercise, I'm not really sure what I want to do. I need something that will keep my interest. I get bored very easy with work outs and then I lose my motivation. My grandparents that live next door have a treadmill so I figured I'd hop on that bad boy. I have a few exercise tapes too that I'd like to try out. Ideally I would like to join a gym, but I live out in the country and there aren't any near me. Anyways, thanks again for the support. It's really nice to know that I'm not alone. I'm so glad that I found this place. The people here are great!
Old 08-14-2004, 04:04 PM   #5  

Hi Courtney Elaine,
What a pretty name. I'm a 45 year old mom, but I feel like I can identify with you since I had a similar issue at your age. I'm just wondering - is your mom overweight? Are there any athletic groups in your area such as pick-up volleyball games, a running club, tennis, a hiking club. It would be great if you could find a group to work out with that could also support you. I don't know if you have a boyfriend or even if you're interested but sometimes a group like that can be a great way to meet and socialize too. Another thought is are there any running races in your area. If so perhaps you could train a little at a time and work up to a short race. I'm going to do the swim portion of a triathlon in September - my sister talked me into it.

Finding a group is hard for me since my schedule with three sons is hectic.

You have a great attitude. I'm sure that you'll achieve your goal.

sw 210/gw 150 (just think you're right where I want to be weight wise)
Old 08-14-2004, 07:13 PM   #6  
I AM MY KIDS MOM

S/C/G: 208/162/135

Height: 5' 2.5"

Welcome

Hope you love it here!

You have come to the right place and we are all here to support you
Old 08-14-2004, 09:13 PM   #7  

Thank you so much mompen!

Tiredoffat,
Thanks for the compliment, I like my name too Anyway, I came here looking for someone my age to help me through this, but also for someone older who can offer guidance. I would appreciate all the help you can give me. Yes, my mom is overweight as well. She has diabetes (so does her father) and I'm really worried that on top of all my other health problems, I will end up a diabetic also. Cancer also runs in the family..really scary! Like I said before, I live way out in the country, plus I don't yet have a car, so it's really hard for me to exercise anywhere but my home. I do have access to a treadmill and there is a baseball field/track about ten mins from where I live. Other than that, my choices are extremely limited.
Good luck with the triathalon! And thanks again for the encouragment. That's something that I need, that way hopefully I won't get discouraged. My biggest fear is slipping back into my old, bad habits of overeating and spending too much time in front of the TV.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:34 PM   #8  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Hi Courtney! I just posted over on the Success board, but there's lots of supportive advice in there if you want to check out my response: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...43&postcount=6.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:06 PM   #9  

That was a great post almostheaven, thanks! Very encouraging
Old 08-14-2004, 10:52 PM   #10  

Almost Heaven I read your tips too - wow! Thanks.
Closed Thread