Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 03:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 266/225/130

Height: 5'1"

Default Looking for someone using Dr. Phil's plan with 100 lbs. to lose.

Hi. My name is Melody and I am ready to stop dieting and finally change my life using the Ultimate Weight Soluction book by Dr. Phil. I have been dieting for most of my life and I lose weight, then gain it back. I'm ready to get of the weight roller coaster and make permanent lifestyle changes that will help me reach my goals and maintain my weight in the long run.

I am 28 years old, married to Cliff, and Mommy to a 2-year-old boy named R.J. I also teach 7th and 8th grade English and attend graduate school. I have some health issues - family history of heart disease and I have 2 herniated disks in my back that bother me from time to time. For the most part, I am relatively healthy.

My current weight is 246 and my first goal is get under 200 and then to get to about 130-140. I am 5'1" tall.

Melody
246/246/199/130
Old 04-20-2004, 04:44 PM   #2  

Hi Melody!

My name is Tammy, I'm 34 years old, married, and I have a five year old son. I started on Dr. Phil's program on February 17 weighing 291 pounds and I've lost 28 pounds since then. I still have about 103 to go to reach my goal of 160 pounds. I've recently started re-reading the book, just in case I missed anything the first time! I love Dr. Phil's approach to weight loss, the changes he recommended were easier to implement than I expected. Even my husband has lost 10 pounds, and he doesn't even know he's on the program! I'm cooking so much healthier now, and the food still tastes great! I try to exercise almost every day, and the amount of fitness I've gained already is amazing! I'm excited about that because heart disease runs in my family, too. My mother has had a heart attack and now has a defibrilator in her chest, something I want to avoid at all costs! My son loves my new energy, too. I can run and play with him now. Before I was just too out of shape! And my feet and knees used to ache a lot, now they don't!

I'm so glad I finally gave this a try. After watching the successes of the challengers on his show, I was inspired! And the changes I've made really are things I can live with forever! And I learned a lot about myself doing the audits and exercises. Give it a try! You can do it, and it can last a lifetime! There's so much to gain!

Good Luck!
Tammy
Old 04-20-2004, 05:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 266/225/130

Height: 5'1"

Default Hi Tammy

Hi Tammy! It sounds like you have had a lot of success with Dr. Phil's plan. Do you think you can maintain his plan from now on? I really want to be able to change my life because diets just don't work because I go up and down and back up again. I really think I lifestyle change is the only approach that will work for me permanently. I plan to put my husband on the plan, too. He needs to lose quite a bit of weight himself.

Good luck as you continue on the plan.

Melody
Old 04-20-2004, 08:01 PM   #4  

Hi Melody!

I really do think I can stay on Dr. Phil's plan forever. It's just a different way of eating and cooking. Instead of using butter, I use Pam. I take the skin off of my chicken, I eat slower, I eat smaller portions, etc. When I plan dinner at night, I keep in mind the "four quadrant plate" he talks about on page 185. I don't measure my food or keep track of calories, either. I know a lot of people think it's essential to do that, but Dr. Phil doesn't seem to want us to preoccuppy ourselves with food, "unless you are wired up with some kind of weird overly analytical brain parts that most of us don't have and take pleasure in weighing and measuring food, you do not have to go to these extremes". If you stick to the number of servings of protein, starches, fruit, veggies, dairy, and fat that he recommends, there's really no need to count it all up. My sister had tried Atkin's diet and she was miserable eating with such restrictions. I told her to look at what you can eat with UWS, and she was amazed "You can eat so much!" With UWS, there really is no restriction, it's all about moderation and portion control. And for me, it's been working! And it hasn't been as hard as I expected it to be!

And I feel good about teaching my son a healthier way of eating. We used to snack on potato chips, ice cream, fried foods. Now we snack on baked Doritos or sugar-free/fat-free jello or pudding. When I shop, I pretty much stick to the perimeter of the store where all the fresh meat and produce are. I hardly ever open a can or box anymore. And no one here is complaining! The changes aren't that hard to put in place. I buy low-fat or fat-free versions of my groceries when I can, and for the most part, they taste great. Food manufacturers have come a long way with fat-free foods!

I know that if you put your mind to it, you can do it. Especially if you really work through all seven keys. It helped me to look into the reasons I ate so much. The first couple of weeks, I did have to battle sugar and salt cravings, but that really has passed. It's like Dr. Phil says, "you replace old habits with new habits". That's what you have to do. And you can do it! You and your husband will feel so much better! A good circle of support is critical, and I'll be happy to offer any support I can. There are times when I need support, too. Every now and then negative thoughts creep in and it can be hard to battle them. But if you really follow the seven keys, you'll see that you can do it! I wish you good luck!

Tammy
Old 04-20-2004, 08:27 PM   #5  

Hi Melody and Tammy!

Hope you'll read and join us at the Dr. Phil Forum.

Melody, I'm fortunate that my husband will eat whatever I put in front of him. One of the things that was a lightbulb moment for me came last July when I was thinking one day about accountability. I am the one who does the grocery shopping, cooks the food and puts it on the table, therefore it is my responsibility on how *we both* eat. And he never complained once, especially when the weight came off. He didn't exercise either, although he should now since he's plateaued after almost 50#. We both feel so much better that we have accepted that this is for the rest of our lives with no regrets. AND I spend $40-50 a week LESS at the grocery store. If we can do it at 50 years old, anyone can.

Feel free to share your thoughts at the Dr. Phil forum where we are rereading the book, chapter by chapter.

dip
Old 04-22-2004, 05:34 PM   #6  
Lisa

diphthong, Melody & Tammy - I'm a new member & am curious about the Dr. Phil plan. I've heard a little about it but haven't paid much attention. Sounds like it's working for you - that's great!

diphthong - what are you doing different at the grocery store that you are able to save that money? Is it just the change from not purchasing convenience foods any longer? I am curious because I'd love to save that in groceries and lose weight as well!

Tammy, do you end up cooking different for your son or does he eat the same things you do? I have three kids (13, 11 & 21 months) and two of them are picky eaters. My oldest would live on pizza if I'd let her! Any tips would be fabulous!

Good luck to all of you!

Lisa
Old 04-25-2004, 07:45 PM   #7  

Hi Lisa!

You should look into Dr. Phil's Ultimate Weight Solution book, it helped me in so many ways. It's so much more than just a food plan, as so many "diet" books are. He helped me to realize that this really is a lifestyle change, I needed to make changes that I can live with forever, and so far it's been working for me. My relationship with food has changed.

I usually don't cook different foods for my son. He seems happy with the way I've been preparing meals, I'm not sure he sees much of a difference. The changes I made were pretty simple, I cook with less oil or butter, I buy leaner cuts of meat, I prepare two vegetables with dinner every night (usually a green salad with fat free dressing and a steamed veggie, maybe carrots or broccoli), I buy a lot more fruit. I agree with dipthong, we have saved money eating this way. Most fat-free or low-fat versions of food don't cost more than their full-fat cousins, and we buy a lot fewer "bagged" snacks, like potato chips, corn chips, cookies, etc. I'm buying less meat, too. I used to eat so much meat at dinner, I could polish of 1/2 a chicken all by myself. Last week, I baked a whole cut up chicken (no skin!) and we got three meals out of it! We had the baked chicken the first night, I diced up the leftover chicken and made a chicken/wild rice dish with lots of tomatoes, green pepper, onion for the second dinner, and on the third night, I took the leftover chicken/rice mixture and made stuffed green peppers. In the past, I would have just left the skin on and oven fried the chicken in oil, and we would have eaten it all the first night!

And with this plan, I don't feel like I'm depriving myself of anything. We still eat out a couple of times a week, and I try to make healthier choices and I eat a little less. I try not to overcomplicate it. I try to exercise almost every day, that's made a big difference,too. If I start out the day exercising, it makes me want to eat better.

Give it a try! Good luck!

Tammy
Old 04-28-2004, 08:12 AM   #8  

Hello everyone
I think I am in a similar boat- I have 80lbs I would like to lose and am not interested in doing another diet (which never work for me). Dr Phil's books offer plenty of good advice and this group could help to fulfill the circle of support. My friends and family do not have weight issues so they can only be so helpful to me while I pursue the goal of a healthier lifestyle.

I need to get on a scale again- I think I weight about 250 at 5'10 me goal weight is 165. How can we help each other progress?

Thanks
Jen
Closed Thread