Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 09-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #1  
Junior Me

S/C/G: 171/171/135

Default How to get started?

Hi guys,

I can't believe I'm actually doing this. I have known about this forum for YEARS [like, yeeears], and I have never had the courage to sign up. I'm still not sure if this is a good idea, but I can't seem to be able to do it on my own anymore.

I've struggled with my weight for a long time. I've often managed to lose 20-30 pounds and ended up gaining it all back within a short period of time. Now it seems like I'm at a point where whatever motivation or will power I once had has disappeared for good.

I hope to find someone to talk to here, and I hope to get it together for good. I am very unhealthy [high cholesterol levels], lethargic and not feeling like myself at all. I need... help. Feels weird to say that to a group of strangers, but oh well...
Oh yeah, I'm an emotional eater. Don't know if that's worth mentioning (aren't we all?).

Thanks for reading.
A v e r y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:42 PM   #2  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Hi Avery, and welcome! How could surrounding yourself with a bunch of like minded folks ever be a bad idea? You'll get support here. Have you decided what method of weight loss you'd like to use? There are individual forum sections here for pretty much everything- calorie counting, weight watchers, paleo- you name it, it's probably here. There's also exercise forums, and a general forum where you can vent or whatever about pretty much anything. This is a safe place to talk about all your challenges, successes, struggles, unsupportive family, gym phobias, whatever.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:37 PM   #3  

Hi Avery. Well done for joining up. Don't underestimate the power of positive peer pressure. You'll be surrounded by people who have experienced the highs and lows of weight loss and they can advise you on how to avoid some of the problems that they've encountered in their journey. I have been a personal trainer for over 25 years and the one thing that I have found is that weight loss starts in the mind. Start with some specific goals and break them down into manageable steps. I would also recommend that you look into programs that work specifically on clearing emotional issues and barriers to weight loss (we all have them).

Don't beat yourself up over any perceived lack of willpower or motivation. Take it one step at a time. Make small changes. The weight loss won't be fast but you will at least lay the groundwork for long term success.
ZCPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:28 PM   #4  
Junior Me

EagleRiverDee and ZCTP, thank you so much for your kind words.

@EagleRiverDee: Thank you for welcoming me! I will definitely have a look at the different sections you mentioned. I haven't decided on a weight loss method yet. I only know that I want to consume a lot less sugar. Today was the first day in weeks (months?) that I didn't buy a doughnut on my way to work. I also didn't snack on chocolate or other "goodies" or had a pint of ice cream for dinner (I didn't do that every night though, just to be clear). I know from experience that depriving myself results in binging. However, I would like to drastically reduce my sugar intake. And somewhere along the line I'd also love to start exercising.

@ZCTP: Thank you for your advice! Having specific goals and breaking them down into manageable steps seems like a reasonable thing to do and something that could really work for me. As far as emotional eating is concerned, I have a book on that topic gathering dust somewhere. Note to self: Find it, read it. I'm not quite sure what kind of programs you were talking about though. Could you please point me in the right direction?

Have a great day.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:37 PM   #5  
Badass Brokeleg Bunny

S/C/G: 239.2/199.8/170

Welcome! This is a great place for support. A lot of us struggle with sugar and finding the will to exercise but we support each other and find the strength we need to succeed!
tefrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:16 PM   #6  
Junior Me

Thank you, tefrey! It's good to know that a lot more people struggle with this. I hope I'll find my way around this forum soon, it still seems kind of overwhelming.