Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 07-21-2017, 07:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 235/135

Height: 5' 1 1/2"

Default New to a support forum

Hi,
I am new to group support, so hopefully I don't break any rules. My son suggested a group forum may help motivate me.

Since I was 13 (I am 60 now) I have been on/off diets, I have tried everything from a grapefruit diet to a shot diet! My weight has gone up and down like a yo yo. I am so very tired of fighting this battle and have been trying to find some motivation to try once again.

Currently I am taking a product called Calotran as I have heard good things about it. My experience so far after 2 1/2 months has not been successful, so after calling the folks at Calotran they sent me free of charge a "cleanse" that I was to use for one week, to help jump start the weight loss, but all that did was hurt my backside! Going to give this stuff another month to see if it will finally work!
Sometimes I think my stress level or my slight depression could be blocking any success, I just don't know. Currently I need to get rid of at 100 lbs, so any suggestions or advice is appreciated. Thank you
gwtwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:16 PM   #2  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Hello and welcome, gwtwfan!

I am not familiar with Calotran. Maybe someone else here is. I guess my suggestions and advice would center around what has worked for me: Cut out all processed foods. Use portion control (or calorie counting). Do SOMETHING every day physically, even if it's only a 20 minute walk outside. Walking can also help with your depression and stress.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:37 PM   #3  

Thank you very much, I appreciate your advice.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:31 AM   #4  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Hello.
Me: fat child, dieting since 17, now 62.
I've twice lost large amounts and twice regained most of it.

I find simple the best thing ~ eat less and move more ~ but find it hard to remain motivated. I'm currently trying the 5:2 intermittent fasting diet, which seems to be helping. That and walking 4 miles a day ~ not necessarily all at once, though sometimes I'll do a longer one.

Good luck in finding your way!

Last edited by Rosinante; 07-22-2017 at 03:31 AM.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:58 AM   #5  

Thank you for your story, walking is not possible since it is about 100 degrees outside and will be for the next few months as I live in central Texas, but I have a stationary bike that I try to ride a few days a week, don't always succeed, but try anyway. I just hate exercising, hate to sweat as it just grosses me out. I just seem to lack the drive to want to do anything! My son is getting married next year & I thought that would kick my backside in gear, but it hasn't! Just don't seem to understand where my determination to get rid of the excess weight has gone to.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 291/240.6/147

Height: 5'7"

Hi and congrats on your son's upcoming wedding. How exciting!

I'm in Louisiana and it is HOT here, too! I started walking outside after I drop my daughter off at school and I was really enjoying it (who knew!). I was using the time to listen to some great podcasts and I really looked forward to it - then the unbearable heat set in and I'm an inside walker now. I like the Walk Away the Pounds DVDs because they are super easy to follow and don't take up a lot of space. On a rough day, I can tell myself I'm just going to go to the first mile or half mile and most of the time I end up finishing. I can still listen to a podcast and turn down the volume because they are just THAT easy to follow along with. I am so ready for cooler mornings so I can get outside again.

I have also been on a diet pretty much my whole life and I've tried everything...pills, injections, low carb, low fat, low everything, grapefruit, alleged "hospital" diets, etc. I've finally found Weight Watchers and it just really clicks for me. I've used products in that past that have been later recalled and found to be dangerous (I miss you, Redux!) so I'm a little leery of those kinds of things, but you have to find what works for you. With this version of WW, I have been able to control my T2 Diabetes as well as keep living my life, which is important. I can still drink wine and eat tacos and I'm finally learning a bit about balance. It's my THING and it's working for me.

Good luck! You don't have to get everything perfect at once. If all you can manage is the diet end right now, then fine. Do not let the perfect be the enemy of the good - don't give up on weight loss because you can't work out the exercise portion at the moment. You can still lose weight while you figure that part out.
TheSecondHalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:41 PM   #7  

Thank you for your ideas, I have done WW 3 times now, the very first time in 1989 it way my new years resolution & I did great, attended the meetings and lost nearly 50lbs (only needed to lose 70 at that time). Then I divorced, moved with my 2 sons in with my folks and that 50 + found me again. So I went back on WW for a second time, didn't do as well, but I met & married my second husband, was married for 7 years and divorced again. But this time I was able to get my own place but still didn't lose any weight. When I turned 50, I was looking a my pictures and decided it was time again, so I join WW online and was able to drop 70 lbs! I was doing really good and then my best friend in the entire world died. It didn't take long to gain 20 lbs, but I didn't want to gain all the weight back so I joined a support group TOPS (taking off pounds sensibly) and all that did was frustrate me! Their scales one week would match mine, then the next week they wouldn't, they didn't have a permanent location so the scales were moving all the time so they didn't stay regulated. Anyway, I met my boyfriend & he likes to eat out a lot, so the extra 40 lbs found me again!! I moved last September from one state to another and I thought for sure the weight would drop off without any issue since I am not eating out anymore (left boyfriend in other state), but alas I was wrong! Now I need to drop 100 lbs and I just can't find the determination to do so. I think WW is a great program, but not sure if I can do it again. Sorry for the life story, but I really appreciate your ideas.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:54 AM   #8  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I can see why outdoor walking is out! I'm in the UK, which means walking is a lot more comfortable, provided you don't mind walking in the rain, which I don't.

When the weather's very bad, I walk indoors. It's a very tiny house but I've invented a route that takes about 1,000 steps. I get pretty cross at having to do it but crosser still if I don't.

Well done on the static bike! I bought a home exercise thing (Wondercore 2, don't know if it's a thing in the States or not) but haven't dared use it yet ~ I assembled it myself, and am terrified to lie back on it in case I crash to the ground.

For some people, a child's wedding next year would be a big impetus ~ for me it would be one more pressure I can live without. How would it be if you could challenge yourself to diet for just one day? Or even half the day, I've done that before now. And then praise the heck out of your self when you succeed? It sounds a bit clunky but it's surprising how powerful self-praise can be, even while you know you're being a bit over the top.

One day a week. Success breeds success, it might just help.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:07 AM   #9  

Thank you, the one day at a time sounds like a plan, I may give that a go! True the pressure of not wanting to be a fat mother of the groom is a bit overwhelming as I think of all the photos that will be taken makes me want to cry! Trying to keep positive, I want to make both of my son's proud of their mom, so maybe one day, one meal at a time will help! Thanks again for your input.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:15 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 198/198/170

Height: 5'2

Of course I am not a doctor but it sounds like your depression issues need to be dealt with first or you are never going to be able to be successful. If there is one thing I have learned in my 46 years dealing with my weight issues it is that you have to deal with the underlying issues FIRST. Try not to take on A TON of change all at once. Take things one day at a time, one step at a time. Get to a doc, get some meds maybe to help with your depression and then identify what else you can do to help promote your happiness-- it could be anything that gets you out of the house. What do you like to do? Think about what you like to do and then try and create a way you can do it regularly. For example, I like to play softball and scrapbook- oh and SING! I play softball on 2 teams, 2 nights a week from MAR-OCT. I go to scrapbooking weekends with my BFF. I sing with my 3 girls! Do things you LIKE.... first step. 2nd step is to find a way to move that you LIKE! Swimming? There is an incredible online workout series through beach body on demand that is called "YOUv2". Its an easy 30 min of fun, semi dance like moves that ANYONE can do -- check it out. You can do it in your living room. STEP 3 - take all of the processed foods OUT of your house...focus on lean protein, veggies and good carbs. Look on Pinterest for shopping lists and recipes. Don't do any of these things at once, do them slowly, one at a time.... THAT's my advice.
JMmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:20 AM   #11  

Default Well done for keeping going.

You are still looking for your way through this dilemma. Well done! Don't give up. This is for you and you're worth it. Food is NOT your friend. It is simply fuel for the body. Look for reasons why you eat what you do / why you do it. It takes thinking. Keep a journal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwtwfan View Post
Hi,
I am new to group support, so hopefully I don't break any rules. My son suggested a group forum may help motivate me.

Since I was 13 (I am 60 now) I have been on/off diets, I have tried everything from a grapefruit diet to a shot diet! My weight has gone up and down like a yo yo. I am so very tired of fighting this battle and have been trying to find some motivation to try once again.

Currently I am taking a product called Calotran as I have heard good things about it. My experience so far after 2 1/2 months has not been successful, so after calling the folks at Calotran they sent me free of charge a "cleanse" that I was to use for one week, to help jump start the weight loss, but all that did was hurt my backside! Going to give this stuff another month to see if it will finally work!
Sometimes I think my stress level or my slight depression could be blocking any success, I just don't know. Currently I need to get rid of at 100 lbs, so any suggestions or advice is appreciated. Thank you
Loosemoose54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:29 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 265/148/132-136

Height: 5'6" - 64 YO

There are so many ways to get to where you are going. I have started a new journey with a plan called Bright Lines Eating and have dropped 12lbs since July 24th (realizing you usually drop a lot first week) and last week lost 2.2 lbs. I am 62 and us older ladies have a fight ahead of us! You can see I need to loose a lot of weight

It is a flour and sugar addiction approach. I am a snacker and being limited to 3 meals a day that I have to plan out the night before has taken a lot of stress off me. They have a quiz you can take to see if that behavior applies to you Well you can google that approach and the book is only 15, the kindle is 9.99 on Amazon and it may be another option. I have not even been here long enough to get a weight ticker so take that into consideration. One thing I like about the approach is its simplicity and working with your internal mindset.

I think there is a lot of help and information here.
grannynancy is offline   Reply With Quote