Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-28-2017, 09:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/200/175

Height: 5'10"

Default Losing Weight with Previous Eating Disorder History - Help!

Hey everyone. Im new here.
20 year old large-framed 5'10 female from Canada (my shoulders are about 24 inches across the back).
I am 200 pounds with about 22% body fat. I also have a resting heart rate of about 60 BPM.

I was severely anorexic in high school, (was hospitalized), and have since found joy in martial arts, but still struggle with food guilt/body image issues.

Went for an annual check-up with my doc to find out I am 200 pounds. This, considering my eating disorder history, really threw my mind for a loop, as myself and my family/friends all thought me to be about 155-160. On top of that, he said although I look fine, the scale doesn't lie and it needs to go down, or I'm going to have health issues.

Given my stats above, I usually eat around 1800-2000 calories a day of fruit/veggies/chicken/fish/greek yoghurt/brown rice, while cross training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Krav Maga, swimming and cross-fit style jump rope. (I exercise every day, usually for about 2-2.5 hours at a time). I also don't have a car, so I walk or bike everywhere.

I wear size 8-10US jeans, and size 8US shirts. (with a couple of 12's in there, if they're from designers that tend to run small.)

I did agree that I should probably be leaner than I am, so my doc has put me on a 1400 calorie/day diet (which I have been following for about a month now), and this is throwing a whole host of problems for me.

1) counting calories is starting to trigger my past eating disorder behaviour
2) since starting this diet, my performance in my martial arts classes has diminished greatly, with my speed, reflexes and stamina all going downhill. My instructors have voiced their concern, but I hesitate to tell them anything. My BJJ instructor knew my weight for tournaments, (although didn't ever tell me, out of consideration of my ED history - I usually compete in open classes because there aren't as many women, anyway). Instructor was not concerned in the slightest.
3) I cannot seem to recover after practice anymore. Before this restriction, I could do a tough MA class, take a day of moderate exercise, and be ready to go again. I seem to stay exhausted, and cannot heal little nagging injuries like I used to. I also bruise much more than I used to.

so far the diet is working (5 pounds lost, although I cannot see a difference in the mirror), I feel awful physically. I did not think I was fat before this, but now I guess I am.

I am trying my best to stick to this diet... but I just don't feel good, physically!

Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you.
PS: I tried to attach pics of me but cannot figure out how, will try to for reference in comments
theproblematic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:10 PM   #2  

You're 22% BF and active on a regular basis? Eat quality protein, lots of veg, and whole starches for the most part? And your doctor is recommending you eat 1,400kcal/day when you have history with an eating disorder?!

I say this respectfully, but you may want to get a second opinion from a different doctor - because to me, that sounds like BS. I'm not a doctor or health professional, but what you're describing sounds like a VERY extreme and potentially uninformed recommendation in the face your MAYBE being marginally overweight (and that's a big maybe).

If I were you, I'd be looking to have a conversation with a dietitian or nutritionist who has experience working with those who have had a checkered past with eating behaviour. Or if possible find a new GP who A) has additional training/education in nutrition and/or exercise physiology, and B) can work WITH you to find some healthy strategies that don't leave you feeling like ****.

Welcome to 3FC!

Last edited by Defining; 01-28-2017 at 10:13 PM.
Defining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:28 AM   #3  

S/C/G: Round 2: 173/173/155

Height: 5'3"

Welcome to 3FC!
wefrogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:14 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Wow, I totally agree with Defining. Find yourself a new doctor, stat! Doctors learn a lot of stuff in med school, but there is also a lot they don't learn (I don't think they focus much on nutrition, body image, and eating disorders) and the individual doctors vary greatly in their level of commitment to life-long learning. In addition, your doctor simply doesn't seem to know how to interpret a BMI with an athletic build (my husband has a similar problem, but his doctor understands that with his massive thigh muscles he is destined to be officially "overweight."). I hope you can find one who has more of an interest in those topics and can help you more effectively.

I'm no doctor or health professional of any kind, but your diet, exercise, and stats sound awesome to me!

Last edited by yoyoma; 01-29-2017 at 10:16 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 245/243/130

Height: 4' 9.5"

I also agree with the other posters about getting a second opinion or at the very least visiting a nutritionist! They have lots of good information. The biggest point, is that you were feeling fine and performing well it seems on the old diet and exercise routines...and now, you aren't. So that is your body's way of letting you know something isn't right. At the very least, bump up your calories for a few days back to the old way and see how you feel. Because besides of weight, health is always more important and being "skinny" isn't always the healthiest. Good luck my dear!
alystical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:14 PM   #6  
=)

S/C/G: 230/219/170

Height: 5'8

I too agree with the other folks! Get a second opinion!
ThisIsMyRealName is offline   Reply With Quote