Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 09-07-2016, 11:33 AM   #1  

Default Completely new

Hi, this is my first time here and I hope joining your group will help me with my weight loss journey.

I was overweight ever since I was a child, even more than I am now. There were some pretty ugly things happening and I learned to turn to food for comfort and releasing frustration. I've worked on this quite extensively and now I believe that losing weight is the final piece of the puzzle on a journey to a life unburdened by my past.

My great motivation is my boyfriend of two years. We will be moving together in 6 months and I realize any weight loss will be more difficult while trying to make things work for two people. I also want to be beautiful for him when we enter that phase of the relationship - he is incredibly supportive of anything I decide to do, he tells me how beautiful I am inside out... and I don't know, it makes me want to be the best person I can, because he makes me believe I have that potential. I also want to be more fit (that goes also for him, he's super skinny, but about as fit as I am) so we can go on longer and more difficult hikes together, something we both love and sometimes feel limited in.

I have spent the past several year dealing with inner demons, one of which was my relationship with food. Listening to my body and understanding it's needs has done wonders to stabilize my weight - it was always all over the place, 15 pounds up and down, just a normal April. I would severely restrict for several weeks and then, understandably, go on a rampage. The worst part is that it mostly wasn't even about the weight, I just wanted to disappear by not eating. You know the floaty, thoughtless out of body feeling when blood sugar drops? As if you were turning into a ghost, into nothingness? That. Sounds healthy . And I was afraid to stop because of fear of gaining even more weight. It took time to realize that the reason I can't control myself when I let go is BECAUSE of not eating enough in the first place. My body's actually pretty awesome to be able to override my stupid brain and make me eat. Well, it really took me too long to see that this system has exactly zero redeeming value. So I begun to change it. Yoga did wonders, too. I remember vividly this one time after a session when I was completely in awe over what my body can do, relaxing, and completely without conscious thought heard myself say "I love my body". That was a very powerful moment. I also did a lot of experiments with food and I believe I arrived at a way of eating on which I thrive. Naturally, the body aims at maintenance, which is something I've been at for over two years now. I believe it is now safe for me to start losing weight. I think that my past effort will help a lot with maintaining the final weight as well.

I have about 30 pounds to go. For some it is a lot, for some it is nothing, for me it's quite a bit. It will be bringing me to a weight I barely had when I was nine, so pretty new territory. I'm doing a mild caloric restriction with controlled macros. I'm a big fan of numbers I previously found calorie-counting quite prone to chaos if done by a chaotic person, but meal plans are too rigid for my taste. What I did is that I actually calculated multiple meal options that are perfectly interchangeable and give me a lot of freedom without having to guess the grocery list. So far it's going perfect.

I came across this board before when researching nutrition and could hardly believe how nice and supportive everyone was. So I can't wait to have a proper look around
Ameline is offline   Reply With Quote