Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 09-02-2016, 02:00 PM   #1  

Default Deciding What's Best for Me in Massachusetts

Greetings All!

I'm writing to you from the great state of Massachusetts where it's finally quit being oppressively hot and humid, and we're dipping into the cooler days of fall slowly but surely.

Fall is my favorite season, but I find myself kind of... low-key unhappy. My weight has a lot to do with that. I'm 29 years old, and when I stepped on the scale yesterday, I weighed 270lbs. Not my biggest, but gosh darn it, it's not where I want to be. I've read a lot online about how my PCOS impacts my weight loss results. I think that's right. While it may be harder to lose, it's not impossible.

I've had varied amounts of success--I lost about 60lbs when I was 25, plateaued for a while, gained a little, lost about 40lbs doing the paleo diet (talk about something not being sustainable long-term!), and got down from my heaviest (320lbs!!!) to the lowest I've been in memory at 215. And then I gained again. I've gone up and down a lot in the last year or so. A close friend of mine lost an incredible amount of weight in the last year--about 120lbs. But he's a dude, and he hit the gym hard twice a day, and figured out the right strategy for him. When I asked him to help me do the same, I was frustrated when the results weren't similar. Though I lost about 20lbs in a little over a month, I was MISERABLE!

Which brings me right up to now. I've pulled back hard from everything relating to taking care of my body in terms of weight loss for the last three months. I recently found resolve to do right by myself and get back on the wagon. I'm looking for a sustainable way to lose weight, keep it off, and not sacrifice going out with my friends or feeling guilty about having a treat from time to time.

I've decided to ask my PCP to refer me to a nutritionist. Hopefully I can get on the straight and narrow soon. Until then, I'd like to do this on my own, and I'm looking for support. I should be happy! I have a great career, a successful side business of my own, a SUPER supportive boyfriend, and a great group of friends. But if I'm not happy with myself, I'm not going to be truly happy.

I've never done anything like this before. I've struggled with my weight for my entire life, and I've only really let a few people in on it in a real way. Maybe that's what I've been missing? I should be honest and open about how I'm feeling, and then maybe I'll be more motivated to stay on track and continue my journey toward loving myself a little more. I'd really like that.

So, with all that mushy stuff and sad back story said, I'm super excited to be a part of this group, and I'm hoping to find the support and courage that I need to succeed.

I look forward to chatting with you!

Marissa

Last edited by MarissaSaint; 09-02-2016 at 02:04 PM.
MarissaSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 04:42 PM   #2  
mam1958

S/C/G: 307/267/160

Height: 5'6"

Marrisa,

Welcome from a follow Massachusetts resident. I am in Western Mass.
I too Have PCOS. But I am 57.

Great place to be and there are threads that help with how to deal with PCOS.

For me the best thing I ever did for myself was buy Rob Thompson's Glycemic Load Diet book. It really explained alot for me.

Good luck on your journey.

Mary
mam1958 is offline   Reply With Quote