Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 03-06-2016, 01:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 160

Height: 5'7

Default New and hoping to get help!

Hello there, Just joined the website, hoping to get great advice and a better understanding of losing weight. A bit about myself, I am a nerd, love star wars, love anime, love reading manga, drinking coffee, and saying witty things. Love pc gaming and getting into loving running. I graduated college and work as a Behavior Interventionist working with autistic children. I like to think I am a funny guy to be around, caring, and patient. I am a bit homebody, prefer to be indoors than outdoors, not necessarily just where I live just anywhere indoors. Not sure what else to right here sorry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15040722308056641641.jpg (17.3 KB, 9 views)
Losangelesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 202/128/129

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Sorry if this post seems kind of disconnected but I wanted to answer all 3 of your threads with one post. I'm more of a lurker here and I lost the vast majority of my weight before I ever found this place so 99% of the times I hesitate to reply because I am a guy too and now quite thin. But I too am still fighting that stubborn chest and gut problem.

When I was around 200 lbs back in 2001 I set a goal of 129 (the lowest # for a large frame male). I thought that if I ever got there I would certainly have a flat stomach/chest. Well, turns out that I am not a large frame (don't we all use that excuse when we are large) and doing nothing but cardio will turn you to skinny fat. After I hit goal and still not happy I decided to lift weights. I've been at it for about seven months but I had an unrelated injury of 10 weeks in the middle so I'm still not where I want to be. I am not a runner but you said that you did not enjoy the outdoors so I would recommend you get on Craigslist and find a NordicTrack ski machine. They are very cheap used, sometimes free, last forever and you will see awsome results paired with lifting. While on Craigslist find some free weights or head to Walmart and buy at least a pair of dumbbells. Alternate cardio and lift days with one day off a week.

Now, nutrition (why don't they teach basic nutrition in school): 1000 calories is less than half of what you should probably be eating. I'm only about 5'5" and I never, ever consume less than 2000 calories a day. Now granted, I'm very active. I work out an hour 4-5 days a week, play sports, play drums, bicycle and I'm on my feet all day at work but you have to find that fine line between eating/fueling yourself too much and not enough. No fast food, no processed foods, no diet foods, no sugary drinks. I'm not a big veggie eater mostly because of preparation but lots and lots of fruit. When summer rolls around I'll eat almost 2 watermelons a week by myself. Eat lots of lean protein at every meal. Eat big, big breakfasts, healthy snacks, good filling lunches, and try to avoid dinner. I use dinner time as my reward/reflection time and have a couple of beers. yes, I know that beer is probably the one thing I should avoid to combat the chest/stomach fat but you cannot deprive yourself or you will cave and probably quit. I've been on my journey this time for 102 weeks so I've had time to form good habits and I have no reason to quit now. If it takes me all summer to lose the last 5 pounds while keeping beer in my diet then so be it!

Why do you mention that you probably should not end up back at a size 30 pants? Whats age got to do with it. I'm 46 and I wear a 28-29. At 5'7" you could weigh as little as 125 or as much as 156. That's a big swing with a lot of different pants sizes. But that's the last thing you need to be concerned about. You picked a good time, Spring is just around the corner! Don't make things over complicated, don't starve yourself, get up and start something today.

Edit: You stated that you wanted to spot reduce, never gonna happen. You have to focus on a general fat loss plan. Your body will decide on its own where it wants to start. you just have to be patient enough to let it get around to parts you are really unhappy with. That goes for lifting too. Do not focus on isolation workouts (like curls) but incorporate large muscle groups (like squats) at one time.

You don't have a ton of weight to lose, you may find more targeted help in the Featherweights or Men's corner.

Last edited by dmnoland; 03-06-2016 at 04:09 PM.
dmnoland is offline   Reply With Quote