Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 09-22-2015, 03:54 PM   #1  
flyin purple people eater

S/C/G: sz 20/22 --> sz 10/12 --> sz 8

Height: 5'8"

Default You ladies (and a few gents) are awesome!

I don't think I've ever been on a more warm, compassionate and highly articulate chat forum before. I stumbled across this site a few weeks ago when I googled info about how losing weight can mess with one's self perception. I found a lot of wisdom and kindness here and kept coming back to read more threads, then decided I wanted to "meet" you all!

I have already lost a significant amount of weight this year; I find scales triggering so I don't know the numbers but probably around 100 lbs. I have gone from UK size 20/22 to a solid 14 and plan to lose about 25lbs more, or get to a size 8... No idea if those numbers jive, or if I'd need to lose more/less to get to that size. I know sizing is nebulous, but I am ok with using that as a frame of reference.

I recently blogged about my weight loss, shelvesinmymind.blogspot.co.uk, if you want to see a couple of pics.

I have had to work through some big mental blocks about food, along with kicking my sugar addiction at long last. I feel like I finally have a normal relationship with food and am in control over what goes in my mouth.

But I do feel like I need a bit of hand holding at times. Losing a ton of weight is weird and brings a lot of self confidence issues into sharper focus. I have become self absorbed recently and am anxious to reach the finish line in a way I wasn't when I first started. The more I look at myself in the mirror, the bigger risk of feeling dissatisfied rather than proud. Silly!

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi but I started rambling instead! I'm 34, American, living in England, with an English hubby and five kids. Health is my prime motivator, but looking cute on the school run is awesome, too.
Raisin5Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 257/230.0/156

Height: 5' 8"

Raisin: Welcome! Looks like you have been doing well. Just remember now you will have the zip to really keep up with your 5 babes! Keep up the good work and best wishes on your journey.
lemonthyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:28 PM   #3  

Oh definitely! I feel much more energetic - a few weeks ago my five year old wanted to do star jumps with me while we were shopping in town. Hey ho, I did them with her! I wouldn't have done that six months ago....

Thanks, lemon.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:36 PM   #4  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Keep up the great work Raisin and
love2b150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:44 PM   #5  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Hi Raisin and I can relate. I am British living in the US. Nice swop eh? But for me some of the biggest psychological issues were with the new me once I had lost the weight (110lbs), not the actual losing. My advice is to be patient and let your body settle. I never reached my goal (160lbs ish) because my body was just not going to take me there. But it also took my body about a year to adjust to the new size. I look better now than I did with my initial loss as my muscle tone has settled in. A big shift for me was focusing more on exercise once the weight was gone. That has really boosted my physique, self-confidence and energy levels. I have also shifted my diet from a weight loss one to a more health-based one. So instead of eating less I eat a lot of healthy stuff, but only stuff that is good for me. In some sense I broke myself down (fat) to build myself up again (muscle).

Then there is the how people react to your loss stuff. This was really hard for me 100lbs+ down to the point that people did not recognize me. People always complain on here that nobody notices their losses, but when people do and en mass it can really play with your head. But equally as weird is that a year in, people will also forget the old fat you and adjust as well to only know the new lean you. So it gets better.

Phew, so many stories to tell. But nice work! And give it time.

Last edited by IanG; 09-22-2015 at 08:52 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:56 AM   #6  

Thanks, love2b!

Thank you for sharing your perspective, Ian. I will be patient.
Old 09-26-2015, 01:06 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Hi Raisin! Congrats on your amazing weight loss so far! I think using your clothes to gauge your progress rather than the scale is an excellent idea! As you approach the "finish line," please research as much as you can about maintaining weight loss, because so many people lose a great deal of weight but believing they are finished, slowly (or quickly) put it back on again. Start preparing now for what it's going to take to keep it off for good. You may come to realize there's no reason to be in a hurry because the journey doesn't end there. I wish you the very best! I'm so glad you decided to join us! Good luck!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote