Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 08-26-2015, 10:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/160/135

Height: 5'4"

Question Looking for senior support

I am new here, and hope I am starting off right. I've just turned sixty and have to get this weight off before it gets any tougher to do so. And I've tried enough on my own to know that I can't do it without support and advice. Any help, comments, advice would certainly be appreciated. I have a new grandson due in eight weeks, I don't want to be the chubby Grandma!!
notdorothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

notdorothy! Glad to have you! The support here is fantastic! Take a look around and jump right in! Some threads are more active than others but the more involved you get, the more you'll get out of it! Good luck!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:54 PM   #3  
Fat Free, Sugar Free

S/C/G: 187.4/164/140

Height: 5' 3"

hi notdorothy... what kind of diet will you be trying?

Welcome!
CheesecakeBrownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:49 AM   #4  

Thank you so much Jacqui D! It is good to find new friends with the same goals. I am determined to get healthier, now!
Old 08-27-2015, 10:52 AM   #5  

Thank you cheesecakebrownie! I am not really sure what plan I am going to try. My sister has had good luck with a book called The New Glucose Revolution, and my brother also had good luck with The Low Glycemic Index. I think they may be the same principle. Do you know? What has worked for you?
Old 08-27-2015, 10:59 AM   #6  
Fat Free, Sugar Free

S/C/G: 187.4/164/140

Height: 5' 3"

i'm using Jenny Craig right now, but soon I will be doing it on my own.

My plan will be no sugar... except naturally in fruit. and super low carbs.

lots of vegetables, lean meats.

have you read the book?
CheesecakeBrownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:41 AM   #7  

I just can't afford Jenny Craig, or Nutrisystem. I am going to a used book store on my lunch break to look for these books. My two main problems are my sedentary lifestyle and my love of red wine. I've stopped buying wine and have stocked my fridge with flavored Perrier waters, and with the weather cooling down I will get back to walking. Fingers crossed I can commit to this.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:54 PM   #8  

Notdorothy, I believe the New Glucose Revolution Diet and the Low Glycemic Index Diet are both based on low GI foods. The modified Slow Carb Diet that I'm doing is based on low GI foods also, and believe it or not, it allows 1-2 glasses of red wine daily! Since you are thinking about doing a carb conscious plan, I want to invite you to join us on this thread: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/othe...hread-2-a.html. We have a small but great group of ladies on this thread, and it just so happens we are all in our 40's, 50's, and 60's and very focused on our health. Feel free to join us!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 08-27-2015 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:58 PM   #9  

Why thank you, I believe I will join you! I definitely need an education on this plan. See you there!
Old 08-28-2015, 11:47 AM   #10  

Yay!
Old 08-31-2015, 08:06 PM   #11  

Height: 5'71/2"

Hi Not Dorothy,
I just joined tonight. I've had a 29 year battle with weight ever since I started the fertility drug experiment. The good part is I have one fantastic almost 28 year old son, the bad part is the excessive weight I gained. I would love to lose 80 lbs and be an honest person on my license.

I am going to try what I call the Jenny Craig Wanna be diet but it was originally listed as the Frozen Food diet a few years back. i think Good Housekeeping published it.

Let's keep connected.
Katiecatherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:08 PM   #12  

JacquiD
Very impressed with your progress. What are your tips!
Old 08-31-2015, 09:52 PM   #13  

Katiecatherine! My 1st tip is IF you have cravings for sweets, potato chips, pasta, bread, etc. (sweets and starches), avoid those types of foods (at least until you have better control) because they keep you in a vicious cycle of eating them and craving them. If you can break that cycle, your entire weight loss journey will be so much easier! My 2nd tip is drink enough water! It takes water to lose water weight and to keep your metabolism running smoothly. My 3rd tip, which is no less important than the other two and possibly the most important of all, is if you slip up, it's not the end of the world. Don't let it derail you! Just jump back on plan! The most that will happen is you'll gain a couple of lbs of water weight, which will fall right back off in a couple of days. Tip 4: Be in it for the long haul and don't worry about the day-to-day fluctuations on the scale, because no matter what you do or how "good" you are, there will be daily fluctuations. It's just how our bodies lose weight! Good luck! You can do this!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 08-31-2015 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:34 PM   #14  

Default Welcome

Hi Jackie D,
Thanks for the advice. i hope to have more time over this weekend to plan better. This week was so so. Recuperating from vein surgery and took a little more out of me than I thought it would.

Appreciate the tips and advice

KC
Old 09-08-2015, 11:59 AM   #15  

Hi Katiecatherine! I hope we can keep in touch, we all need the support this group provides. I had started out trying the Low Carb approach but I gave my self a birthday gift of joining Weight Watchers. My first meeting is tonight and I am very excited about it. Their new program fits in with my idea of eating well and losing weight. I really have no excuse for being overweight, I live alone, have my evenings to walk or work out and have a sister and friends who would do either one with me if I would just get off my ever growing backside and do it! How are you doing after your surgery? Getting better?