Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 07-10-2015, 04:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 212/200/150

Height: 5'5¨

Thumbs down Feeling discouraged, please help

Hello - I've lost 10 pounds in six months. I feel my progress is too slow. I've made huge changes to my diet, like no man-made sugar and 3 vegatable smoothies a day, and started going to the gym. Is this all really sustainable? What's going to keep me going? I don't want weight loss to be my life as it's starting to be. There is so much out there to do.

What keeps you going?

See pics of my ten pounds lost attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 202lbs Weight Pic 6.30.2015-4.jpg (14.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 212lbs November 28 2014-1 - Edited.jpg (20.6 KB, 9 views)
sofyisalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

sofyisalive! Congrats on being down 10 lbs! On how fast, well, we all lose at different rates. We just have to keep going if we really want to get to our goal! It would be hard for me to give you advice on what you might try doing differently without knowing what your typical meals consist of or what kind of diet plan you are currently using. Are you calorie-counting, doing low-carb, doing an organized program, just making healthier choices? Good for you on going to the gym now! That's great! As for not having to focus on weight loss, I don't know how to do that if you are actively trying to lose weight. Pretty much, if you want to lose weight, you have to make a concerted effort, which means you have to pay attention to it. And even in maintenance, you have to pay attention to what you eat. I do wish you the best! Good luck!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:21 PM   #3  
Hungry for Health! (-:

S/C/G: 141/108.8/BMI above 18.49

Height: 5'2"

Thumbs up

Sofy, welcome! What I've discovered is that I do have to put a lot of time and effort into losing weight and keeping it off. That's just the price I pay for getting and staying slim. And it's worth it!

Have you checked out one of those calculators that tell you how many calories you need to eat to lose weight? I'd find one that is reliable and medically-approved, and then dive in. You'll find your own way to approach weight loss, and design your own custom-made system.

It will take time - it's taken me around three years to lose almost 40 pounds, but I can't tell you how many benefits there are, because they are endless! If I can do it, anyone can. Good luck and God bless!

HungerWerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 01:54 AM   #4  
Proverbs 31:10-31

S/C/G: 200/146/120

Height: 5'1"

I think part of the problem people can have is not eating enough... if you're as gung-ho as you say, maybe you're under eating! I also wouldn't recommend any form of eating you don't want to continue your whole life.

ten pounds is amazing progress, it really is. You can do this, and time is not the enemy. Trust me, eventually you'll be looking at those lost pounds wishing other people didn't notice the differences! Don't make yourself miserable. Try a new plan, one you enjoy doing. Find a plan, modify the heck out of it until you like it and it works. Make small changes first... you've already cut out sugars. look at something else to change. Don't be afraid to talk to your doctor either, maybe their is something else holding you back from the progress you want.
SenseAndSensibility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 02:24 AM   #5  
I Can Do This

S/C/G: S 270/C Ticker/MiniGoal#1 170

Height: 5' 5"

Congratulations on the 10 lbs sofy! I agree with the prior advice to find a couple calculators and try experimenting a bit with calories and other macros. Not every plan works for every body. I looked at a lot of different calculators and daily rdi charts and just started finding a mid range for a few things (calories, protein, sodium and net carbs for me). Then started tweaking until I came up with a nutritional "budget" that makes me feel good and helps drop some lbs.

I know my tastes well enough that I know I couldn't do low carb. But I've also discovered thru trial and error that I have to keep net carbs around 150 daily. Higher than that and I'll gain or plateau for a very long time.

I understand what you're saying about not making weightloss your life. When I first started, I committed to myself that I was simply going to eat better. I wasn't eating to lose weight. I believed then and continue to believe that as long as I eat a healthy diet with a few occasional treats, my body will find a healthy weight.

Sometimes I do slip into the "dieting to lose weight" mentality. That's not a good place for me...I start being a bit obsessive about what I eat and the next thing I know, I've slipped into a little binge.

Perhaps take the weightloss thing out of the mix for now. Just think about eating well and getting proper nutrition. I mean, that's something we all need to do on a daily basis, right?

Best of luck to you!
Vickie Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 01:40 PM   #6  
Fit by 50

S/C/G: 243/243/130

Height: 5'5"

Hi and congrats on the 10!

I understand what you mean about not wanting weightloss to be your life - you don't want it to consume you. That's why I focus on something sustainable, fad diets DON'T work for me because I know I will miss certain foods. I have found WW to be especially happy in the past because it helps you to eat what you like but in moderation - it's a lifestyle shift verses fad diet. IMO

For now I am just watching my intake and trying to find healthier alternatives for my snacking and adding exercise which has been sorely lacking in my life.

I would suggest two things: don't give up! and Yes, please make sure you are eating enough! If you are not giving your body enough, it will think you are "starving" and switch your body into save mode, hoarding any fat you bring in.

Perhaps you need to also vary your diet a bit more and change your exercise routines.
BabyMama37 is offline   Reply With Quote