Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-05-2015, 01:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/216/190

Height: 5'2

Default Student trying to lose weight!

Hello~ I'm a 17 year old highschooler who wants to feel better and healthier and lose the weight!

I think it was around a year and a half ago, maybe longer, that I decided I had needed to lose weight. At the time I weighed 245 lbs, almost 250, and I got scared when my doctor said that I was pre-diabetic. Then I got to 208 within half a year, thanks to a medicine that helps to treat diabetes.

Now, fast forwarding to the present, I weighed 220 on New Years Day! It wasn't that bad but my ultimate goal was getting below 200. I was always over 200, even in middle school... Before losing weight my record low was 225, the first time I weighed myself in years, and it was 4 years ago.

The hardest part of weight loss for me is not having support and not having discipline. Or, learning discipline. When you see someone eating a cookie-ice cream sandwich... (last nights dilemma xD) But really, without support I stopped last time. Each time I went to the doctor and he gave me support about weight loss, I perked up and started again.

I'm hoping that I can find friends and a support group, and I'm hoping that I can keep pushing!
kanvrises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

Hey, great job so far

I have a discipline problem too, because I tend to arbitrarily decide that eating well isn't worth it, or I don't care enough about losing weight. So what's really helped me is picking something I have complete control over, for which to reward myself.

For me that's calorie logging. No matter how much I eat, as long as I log all my calories I consider myself successful. And it works for me because when I see how much I'm eating it leads me to make better choices most of the time, and it's easy to get back on track after a "lapse."

I'm thinking for some people it might work just as well to log in a more general way. Like "I had one serving of dessert today and five servings of veggies" or "I drank 6 glasses of water." Just, any possible way to be able to look back and see what you've been up to.

For me the visual indicators (bar graphs of how many calories I've eaten each day other the week, for example) help a lot.

Anyway, I hope you find something that works well for you. It's tough work but it doesn't sound like that tough work stops once you lose the weight. So it's best to make it as easy on yourself as possible so you can keep it up forever.

Best wishes and hope to see more of you on the forum.
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 235/192/140

Height: 5'2"

Welcome Kanvrises! I wish I had been as smart as you at 17 to make the decision to take control of my weight! Wtg!

I also agree with Faiora, logging what you consume makes a huge difference in how you make choices! There are tons of apps for your phone that make it easy. I use myfitnesspal. Good luck on your goals!
ohclementine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 245/216/190

Height: 5'2

Thank you both for your replies and support~ C:

I've started calorie counting and measuring servings in cups. It's really showing me what a serving really means, seeing how the recommended servings are filling me up vs throwing a lot on my plate and eating all of it. I have to eat everything on my plate for some reason, no matter what it is, I can't stand seeing food left on my plate ;;

I'm trying to keep my calories between 1,200 and 1,400 and I started counting on the 2nd c:

And ohclementine, thank you for recommending myfitnesspal! I'm now signed up c: It reminds me of when I tried weight watchers once a long time ago. It feels fun to log in stuff, kinda like a game! c: I've also signed up on fitday, I think I saw an ad for them somewhere on these forums, but I think myfitnesspal looks better c:
kanvrises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 235/192/140

Height: 5'2"

kanvrises, that is so great, happy to help. Just remember 1200 is the lowest recommended calorie intake you should have otherwise your body goes into 'starvation mode' and you stop losing weight and can lose muscle mass which is no good. I found a website that helps you determine loosely how many calories to eat based on your weight and activity level.

www . calculator.net/calorie-calculator . html Don't forget to talk to your doctor about your diet too, he knows more than we do about nutrition and could point you in the right direction. Sorry if this is stuff you already knew! Best wishes for your goals!
ohclementine is offline   Reply With Quote