Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 12-19-2014, 12:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 232/230/160

Height: 5'5"

Default Crazy time of year to start!

Hi everyone! My name is Colleen, and this is my first time on the forum. Although, for full disclosure, I have been lurking for a couple days. Anywho, I started my diet MD managed, basically very low carb diet last week. Yesterday was my very first weigh in after 1 week and lost 2 lbs. I admit, I was a little disappointed that I didn't have much water weight loss, as I have swelling and tightness in my legs that is annoying and I'm looking forward to getting rid of it. Next weigh in is Christmas Eve. Is anyone else crazy to start two weeks before Christmas? I mean, people have brought by banana bread, fudge and other yummies. I have been good and not touched a thing that wasn't part of my plan. I have questioned my sanity at starting this at this time of year, but i feel like starting a diet in January is cliche. Everyone knows New Years resolutions were made to be broken, and I didn't want that thought tainting my mind. So, here I am, in it for the long haul. I have tried a thousand times to lose weight with some moderate success, but this time I feel different about it. I think I may have had my "lightbulb moment" or whatever.....
CocoVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 300/145/160

Height: 5'10

Hey colleen! welcome

I have successfully gone through many holidays and still continued to lose weight. I use only holidays and special occasions as pre-planned "cheat" days. If you know when your going to cheat on your diet you can pre-plan the extra minutes working out ect ect. Also when people give me chocolate or something along those lines i still eat it... I just break it into pieces and freeze it and have it for desert every night. For easter i had gotten a giant chocolate bunny... took me 3 months to eat it but i broke it down into 50 calorie servings. If you deny yourself anything you will go into a binge at some point and thats what breaks the cycle and you will keep eating and pack the pounds back on. You just have to re-think the way you eat and you will do great I wish you much luck and success!! Enjoy the holidays but get back on track on the 26th!
Calicofox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

I think it's fantastic you're starting now!

I read somewhere that people who start diets on Mondays aren't as successful, and it has to do with people making resolutions that depend on them sticking to a plan perfectly, presumably so they can say "I started on this date" or "it took me this long" or something along those lines. I think the same would apply to New Year resolutions—it's easier to stay off track when you "mess up" once, if you feel like a failure because you had grand plans.

Personally I get through vacations and holidays by logging calories even when I'm overeating. It's no big deal to overeat sometimes, as long as you know you'll get back on track after a day or two. You're doing a different kind of diet plan than me, but you might still be able to use the same basic principle to stay on track. Some people keep a journal of what they eat (just writing it down, not logging calories or anything) and if you were writing in a journal every day (even when overeating) it could help serve as a reminder to stay on track, once the holidays are over.

Anyway, welcome to the forum! Hope to see you around here in the various subforums.

Last edited by faiora; 12-19-2014 at 02:40 PM.
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 232/230/160

Height: 5'5"

Thanks guys! I am excited and appreciate the motivation ������
CocoVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4

You're not crazy at all to start around the holidays. Anytime is a good time to start.

Best of luck to you!
Streudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:36 PM   #6  
Truffle Queen

S/C/G: 302/260.8/150

Height: 5'8"

Welcome! Good luck on your journey.

-PT
PinkTaffeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 250/199/125

Height: 5'1"

Welcome!

If you're looking for company in the crazy column, I started 3 days before Halloween
vchan000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:13 PM   #8  

I just started 2 days ago. I also started around the same time in 2011 and lost 60 pounds. Over the years I ate indiscriminately, so slowly gained some back. Now I am back in control. My diet is basically is to allow my body to get most of its energy from stored fat. No sugar (even fruit) No crabs (expect from low carb vegetables) loads of water and 30 min on the treadmill per day. I found the diet on the trantiendiet website. It is hard for the first 10 days, but gets easier. Wish me luck....Good luck with your journey and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!
waterstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:26 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I think it's smart to start right before the holidays. You are strictest with your diet when you first start out, so you will fare better through the worst time. Just think, if you wait until after the holidays are over to start, you will probably have an additional 10 lbs to lose.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 01:53 PM   #10  
Proverbs 31:10-31

S/C/G: 200/146/120

Height: 5'1"

I agree! If you can start and make it though the holidays, a super tough time, then the journey will be that much more succesfull! I love peoples ideas of cheat days on the bidays and planning. I think I'm still going to try and keep in my calorie count with food, but I'll log the extra wine drinks even if it goes over and try not to feel guilty about it. It's one day!!!
I started my journey at the end of november and even with Christmas parties I'm doing okay I've lost about eight pounds in three weeks, which seems a little high to me but I'm guessing its part water weight.
SenseAndSensibility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:03 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

8 lbs in three weeks is a great start! Everyone drops weight quickly when they first start because of water weight, but it gives you incentive to continue. Also, don't get discouraged if and when it slows down, because then your body is adjusting to the loss.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:07 PM   #12  
Makin it stick

S/C/G: 208/ticker/155

Height: 5'7''

I think starting around the holidays is a great idea shows that you're committed to the plan.
superherothin is offline   Reply With Quote