Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 07-14-2014, 02:23 AM   #1  

Default Hi, just joined an ounce ago.

Hi:

For the past few years that I have been searching for online support, I would occasionally see this forum and skip past it worried it was meant to be some joke on being a fat chick, and the one thing that always entered my head was that hideous sign I thankfully haven't seen in several years now that said, "No fat chicks allowed." It robbed me of my dignity and I took it personally. I have to come out and be honest here. I just cannot take any jokes at my or any heavy person's expense. Nothing has damaged me more and I am sure I'm not alone. I have spent many years suffering in isolation. I have tried every diet and have lost weight, but regained it all. I am also hypothyroid. I have read every Geneen Roth book (and several other authors as well) and am trying to figure out what it is that has kept me in this endless loop.

I do not watch any commercial TV, but I do watch PBS; shows that focus on and exploit people with weight to lose are revolting to me. I am a musician and it is what sustains me. All I want to accomplish is a healthy lifestyle and to lose no more than 45 lbs. I have no wish to be skinny. Thanks for reading my first post. Best to all of you.

Last edited by 1hatchling; 07-14-2014 at 02:36 AM.
1hatchling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:09 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

glad you investigated a little more! I'm with you - i can't stand the fat 'jokes' or exploitation.

weight management is a journey, not a race, and there are a lot of lessons waiting to be learned. welcome aboard!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:37 PM   #3  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Welcome! Glad you came in, lots of nice people here who understand the difficulties of dealing with being overweight.

Can't stand the fat-bashing culture we live in. There's alot of general woman-bashing in our culture, too, and I swear it seems like the worst thing the world thinks a person can be is a fat woman. So hurtful!

But you won't find any of that in here, we are all really nice! I hope you jump in and start posting -- the way to feel a sense of community is to begin sharing and chatting! Don't hold back!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:46 AM   #4  

Thanks so much for the welcome Jiffypop and Mrs Snark! I have been trying to find a great site that would actually fit me without my having to go into a dressing room. However, I do worry that such a great site would actually have me as a member. I am sooo glad I found this place! I had been getting a bit too cynical!
Old 07-16-2014, 07:52 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 432/180/200

Height: 5'11

Welcome to the forum and best wishes on your WOE.
TheSatinPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:10 AM   #6  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I'm glad you reconsidered this site, as it has nothing to do with fat bashing. It's all about support and information. That said, it's not a perfect place....like anything else. There are some ruffled feathers occasionally, but overall, it's great. I hope that when you said that you're worried that such a great site would have you as a member as a joke, right?
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:20 AM   #7  
Old Cackler

Groucho Marx lives on!

we don't have a lot of rules around here - play nice, be respectful, report spam [because the mods can't be here all the time], and don't advertise pretty much cover it.

if you have an issue, report it to the moderators [use the little egg with the explanation point in it to report a post] and SOMETHING will happen.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:03 AM   #8  

Hi, Oh, yes, yes, I was quoting Groucho -- he-he. It is wonderful I found this site just when I needed inspiration and a sense of belonging the most. I am blown away at the weight loss I have seen here. I am trying to begin by being mindful and aware of what I am eating and if I am truly hungry or not. I am looking forward to spending much more time here!