Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 05-17-2014, 05:51 PM   #1  
Hello!

Height: 4'11"

Default Oh, hello! - Long Post

I rediscovered this forum after four years.
I always lurked and I figured if I'm coming back why not go ahead and introduce myself.

I'm a 23 year old college student, recently married, self conscious, picky, childish at times, young woman. I reside in West Michigan and can't see myself moving away from here.

I've struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember. I've been through eating disorders and diets, only to be disappointed. I've had a million and five tests done and there is no medical reason as to why I have such a rough time losing weight and keeping it off. I've always watched what I eat and I never see results unless I go to some sort of extreme.
I'm frustrated with myself and the lack of knowledge about why my body keeps weight. So I started upping my work out schedule even more. I'm currently working back up to being able to run a 5k again with a couch to 5k app.

I'm hoping to use this community to help encourage me and make my support system a bit larger than just my husband. Maybe I'll find someone who has the same issue too. Thanks for reading! Can't wait to get involved
alyrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:11 PM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

Welcome!
I am not new to losing weight, or new to this site. I just wanted to say that it is not impossible, and even if it seems like it is taking forever, if you are persistent, it will come off. Just think that if you weren't trying, you would likely be gaining.

I just started again, and I went an entire month weighing my food, counting every single atom of food that I ate. I was exercising-hard. And NO WEIGHT LOSS. None. Not a single ounce. I only recently lost a little. But it is finally starting to happen. Just don't give up.

Make sure you are actually eating what you think you are eating, because the biggest reason for not losing is eating too many calories. Exercise helps us to look good naked, and make our hearts strong, but what you eat has the greatest influence on your weight loss.

Now get going and don't stop!!!
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:38 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 432/180/200

Height: 5'11

Welcome to the forum.
TheSatinPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:52 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyrh View Post
I rediscovered this forum after four years.
I always lurked and I figured if I'm coming back why not go ahead and introduce myself.

I'm a 23 year old college student, recently married, self conscious, picky, childish at times, young woman. I reside in West Michigan and can't see myself moving away from here.

I've struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember. I've been through eating disorders and diets, only to be disappointed. I've had a million and five tests done and there is no medical reason as to why I have such a rough time losing weight and keeping it off. I've always watched what I eat and I never see results unless I go to some sort of extreme.
I'm frustrated with myself and the lack of knowledge about why my body keeps weight. So I started upping my work out schedule even more. I'm currently working back up to being able to run a 5k again with a couch to 5k app.

I'm hoping to use this community to help encourage me and make my support system a bit larger than just my husband. Maybe I'll find someone who has the same issue too. Thanks for reading! Can't wait to get involved

Welcome--you just described a problem that 99% of the people on this board have. Losing weight only to see it come back, plus some.

I believe it comes from all the crazy diets, usually centered around losing a lot of weight fast--and by eliminating certain daily foods from your diet to get you there. One of my favorites--(the liquid diet or the all protein diet--meat, bacon, and any kind of meat you want to eat is just fine--just "no" carbs, ha.ha.)

The problem with these kind of diets is that once you eat a piece of bread you gain all your weight back, and add on another 10 to 20 pounds after that.

Losing weight is really not rocket science. The key is to eat less, move more. Its calories consumed during a day versus calories burned. A calorie is a calorie no matter where it comes from. Carrot or cookie.

True success comes from realizing that. Knowing that 2 slices of bread turns into one and if I want some cake it won't be a piece of cake it will be a sliver. Therefore, I am not eliminating things I like, just eating a lot less of it, while I am replacing some unhealthy with healthier choices.

It's not a way to lose 20 pounds a week, but you're really not supposed to lose more than 2 pounds a week anyway. They have discovered that weight lost quickly comes back twice as fast, and long term success comes with slower steady weight loss. Albeit, those that have a lot of weight to lose--they lose weight quickly at first, but then slow down. If you don't have a lot of weight to lose--it will be slower--because you're close to your idea weight anyway. Just be patient stick with it and you'll get there.

My favorite new app--that stays with me all the time is myfitnesspal that you can upload to your smart phone or computer to help you keep track of the calories you're eating during the day, and you can add in exercise there too. Very easy, and extremely effective if you're consistent about entering your food during the day. Another handy gadget if you can buy one is Fitbit or Jawbone UP that tracks the amount of steps you take in a day. These two will sync together--giving you even more information about your activity level.

Anyway good luck to you on this new permanent life-style change.

Last edited by Kscott; 05-17-2014 at 11:53 PM.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote