Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 04-29-2014, 01:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 353/see ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

Default Just Starting

Hi!
I was googling something related to weight loss, don't even remember what now, but came across this site and LOVE it! I had to join right away.

My husband and I have been struggling with our weight all our lives and just started another weight loss journey. I am absolutley determined this is the last start though.

The kicker for me is when my daughter's field trip came up and they were asking for parent chaperones -- I wasn't sure if I could go, becuase I wasn't sure if I could fit in the seats on a charter bus.

I decided this is enough, I have given up so much of my life for food and it's past time. I am almost 32 - it's time to do what I want when I want and not have to be in fear of if I can fit in this or that!

Which - side note: I just started and the trip is on 5/19/14 - I have a lot to loose - about 175 lbs -- so if anyone does have any info on how roomy those seats are it would be appreciated lol I am still incredibly nervous about going!

So we decided to start New Atkins - I've used it before and I feel it works and I know cutting carbs is essential. I tracked what I was eating for a few days on the carb counter and WOW! 209 carbs on day, 190 the other.

I have been feeling so miserable too - and I know that's why. So, I started Atkins on Sunday, April 27, 2014. I wasn't sure what my weight was b/c my scales were broke. So I orderd some new ones and they arrived today. I'll weigh in again on Sun b/c that's when I started but my weight won't be a full weeks worth of loss, but only missing 2 days.

My husband has had a bad problem with soda, he is giving it up, has given it up and we are determined to follow Atkins to a T.

He has some major back problems as well so walking and excercise is not an option for him right now but as he looses he will begin to incorporate walking. I plan to start now however.

Today is day 3 and I have SOOOOO much energy ! Seriously -- it's been a struggle to sit in front of my computer at work all day because I just wanna get up and do something. I have had the hardest time getting up in the mornings, always tired and always feeling in a fog. I am feeling the exact opposite now. Woke up easy this morning, in fact wanted to stay in the bed a little longer because it was cold, but I couldn't stand laying there, I had to get up and move!

I am pumped right now and I know that this feeling won't always last. But, I am sticking with this no matter what!

Glad to be here and look forward to getting to know you all. My husband doesn't want to share with anyone that we are 'dieting' because he hates the pressure and expectations. But I'm a sharey kinda gal so finding this online support group was perfect for me!! I need to talk to people and see your progress, and share mine and encourage each other.
Ali06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:10 PM   #2  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Welcome!

It sounds like you have a great plan and how nice to have a partner to go on this journey with you! And how FANTASTIC that you are feeling so good.

Lots of great people and info on this site, and I think the low carb area is very active so I know you will get lots of good info there!

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 04-29-2014 at 06:10 PM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:19 PM   #3  

Sounds like a great start and I agree, this is a great forum. Good luck!
HungryInNewZealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:43 PM   #4  

Default Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Snark View Post
Welcome!

It sounds like you have a great plan and how nice to have a partner to go on this journey with you! And how FANTASTIC that you are feeling so good.

Lots of great people and info on this site, and I think the low carb area is very active so I know you will get lots of good info there!
Thanks so much and I did check out the low carb area already - happy coinsidence they were doing a week 1 induction challenge that started the same time I did with Atkins So even more encourgement and people to partner with!

And I just checked out your blog and photos -- WOW!!! You are an inspiriation! Congrats to you on your incredible success! And so quickly too!
Old 04-29-2014, 10:27 PM   #5  

Height: 5'9"

Congratulations on deciding to change your health, and your hubby's too! I too have decided that I am not going to be another victim to heart disease or diabetes, so this time it's for real! I have been around here a long time, gaining and losing and gaining again. But I am like you, because this time I know it's going to be forever. I am not going to let myself stop me from having good health.

I did atkins, and I did south beach, but this time I am mostly just "doing" whole food, with the exception of protein shakes for weightlifting. I am not eating wheat any more, and I feel no more cravings. My sugar intake is very limited, only from what I get in whole fruits.

I am convinced that sugar and processed foods are, to me at least, addictive, and I don't need them. I won't say I won't ever eat them again, it will just be a long time I think. The atkins plan is very good for cutting appetite, but I had a bit of ketogenic "flu" any time my carbs dropped below 50 grams per day. Right now I eat around 120-130 without trying, most coming from some dairy and 1 or two small servings of fruit. I also really really like vegetables, so a really carb-restrictive diet isn't for me.

I hope you like the site and the support you will find here. I have reached my goals with the support and information posted by the great people here. It has been a steady source of support and information over the years. I just wish the last time had been the last time, so I didn't have to start all over. Just remember that when it gets tough. There will be some days when cupcakes are really tempting, or peanut butter calls your name. Don't give in! And if you do, don't stay in the refrigerator kicking yourself and shoveling in pudding (I have done all of this). Just get back to business, and use your husband to keep you going. Welcome to 3FC!
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:30 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandis View Post
Congratulations on deciding to change your health, and your hubby's too! I too have decided that I am not going to be another victim to heart disease or diabetes, so this time it's for real! I have been around here a long time, gaining and losing and gaining again. But I am like you, because this time I know it's going to be forever. I am not going to let myself stop me from having good health.

I did atkins, and I did south beach, but this time I am mostly just "doing" whole food, with the exception of protein shakes for weightlifting. I am not eating wheat any more, and I feel no more cravings. My sugar intake is very limited, only from what I get in whole fruits.

I am convinced that sugar and processed foods are, to me at least, addictive, and I don't need them. I won't say I won't ever eat them again, it will just be a long time I think. The atkins plan is very good for cutting appetite, but I had a bit of ketogenic "flu" any time my carbs dropped below 50 grams per day. Right now I eat around 120-130 without trying, most coming from some dairy and 1 or two small servings of fruit. I also really really like vegetables, so a really carb-restrictive diet isn't for me.

I hope you like the site and the support you will find here. I have reached my goals with the support and information posted by the great people here. It has been a steady source of support and information over the years. I just wish the last time had been the last time, so I didn't have to start all over. Just remember that when it gets tough. There will be some days when cupcakes are really tempting, or peanut butter calls your name. Don't give in! And if you do, don't stay in the refrigerator kicking yourself and shoveling in pudding (I have done all of this). Just get back to business, and use your husband to keep you going. Welcome to 3FC!
Thanks so much - I agree with you totally - the processed foods and sugar are no good for me either. Prior to starting this diet I had begun to make small changes already and we ate almost nothing out of a box. I garden and grow most of our veggies, but a lot of natural products - eggs from farmers market, etc. But it was still a very carb heavy diet.

I am a bread L O V E R!! So giving up bread is really hard for me, and sweets, and milk, and ... well you get the picture lol But I can still have cheese!!!

But seriously, I normally am always craving something, I don't get that when I do Atkins which is a big help. In fact last night I could only eat about half my dinner - that's another thing I'm doing is paying attention to how much I am eating. I work a lot of hours and many meals are spent in front of my computer and I end up eating a big plate full before I mean too... or shovel it in between of meetings lol and then eat so fast I don't realize I'm actually full.

So portion control is huge for me no matter what it is. I'm a veggie lover too, even more so a fruit lover. No fruits for a bit will be tough, but worth it in the end. I am planning to stay on induction much longer than 2 weeks, I want to drop at least 50 lbs before I move to phase 2.

Atkins tells you to have 12-15 of your 18-22 carbs from veggies, so it really is actually heavy on veggies if you follow it as it says - I read the book and it does seem to be different than what I remember in the past though. Or maybe I just read what I wanted to back then haha!

Typical day for me is breakfast, veggie and egg scramble - I may add meat or cheese just depending on day/mood/meal plan or 2 boiled eggs, tomato and ham. On the weekends will probably use bacon or sausage on occasion, but we dont' eat a lot of that anyway. Lunch usually a salad of some sort or leftovers. Snacks are things like - cheese stick, or broccoli and ranch, or a couple pieces ham, etc. Dinner - meat and veggies - tonight it was chicken and onions sauted with boiled cabbage (chicken broth, pepper and butter - 3 tablespoons for the big pot which is about 10+ servings).

Main thing is finding something you can stick to and works with you and your lifestyle. For me Atkins is really easy to get my hubby on board with - you don't have to feel like you are starving, and can stay quite full without being crazy on sugar or calories.

Today though I didn't have enough carbs/calories - 15.6 net carbs and 943.8 calories. And I'm feeling it too ... all that super energy I had this morning has faded away lol But I know it's because I didn't eat enough today - that's where my job is an enemy to my waistline lol Been stuck in meetings and different things - I can see right away I am going to have to really increase my efforts around food planning, more than just dinner. I need to have veggies, meats, and cheeses cut and sliced and prepped for snacks. Lunch decided upon and readied as much as possible before hand.

And you are so right about not letting a mistake sabotage all of your progress. I have been so guilty of that in the past myself. I know not to, yet I find myself doing it.

But this time it's for life. It just hast to be. Hubby's health is not horrible, but not great and right on the edge of some major problems if he doesn't act, and same for me too. He's 10 years older than me which increases that urgency - and I'm just tired lol Tired of being fat. I was speaking to an old friend from high school today - we were laughing at how back then we thought we were just gigantic whales!!! I wore a size 14!! Now I still could have lost weight of course, that wasn't ideal, but I thought I was enormous. If i only knew! HA!

Even back when I got married, I was a size 20, still needed to loose - but what I'd give to be starting there! Oh well, I'm starting where I am, and no need to focus on coulda, woulda, shoulda - just what is now!

Best of luck to you!!
Old 04-29-2014, 11:31 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungryInNewZealand View Post
Sounds like a great start and I agree, this is a great forum. Good luck!

Thanks and to you also!
Old 04-29-2014, 11:51 PM   #8  

Welcome, you certainly have the right attitude starting out. If you have an I-phone, android or smart phone there is a great free app you can put on it called myfitnesspal. You may already have one? I use it all of the time to track calories and carbs--and the weight that I was stuck on for months has now finally gone down a couple of pounds. I am now only 4 pounds from my goal weight because of it. I also bought a Jawbone Up--very similar to the Fitbit that tracks how many steps you walk in a day--and those will sync with the myfitnesspal app--to help you keep track of what you're doing each and every day. At least I can't ignore it--because my cell phone is always right there.

Here is also a very easy site to let you know where you are at now--so you can start.
http://www.webmd.com/diet/calc-bmi-plus

Eat less--move more

Last edited by Kscott; 04-29-2014 at 11:53 PM.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote