Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 04-27-2014, 07:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 119/ 99.4/ 85.4

Height: 5ft 0

Default Hi. I'm Amanda, and I'm ready to get to my target!

I was 12 stone (168 lbs) at aged 11 and around 4ft 8 inches. My mom and dad didn't know what to do with me, they were so worried.
I was picked on badly, and I felt ugly. I couldn't shop at trendy shops like other girls my age because the clothes wouldn't fit.
So at the age of 12 I told my parents that I was finally going to take control of my body. My parents, family and teachers were all really proud of me. And the few friends I had, did support me.
When I got to aged 14 I was 10 stone. (140)
At aged 16 I was 9 stone. (126)
At aged 18 I was 8 and a half. (121)
Now at aged 20 (or 21 in a week) and 5ft 0 inches, I am 7 stone 10lbs. (99.4)
I did it slow to reduce stretch marks, and to be honest I really haven't got that many. Which I'm glad about.

Obviously weight loss did not come easy. I don't put weight on as easily as I used to, but I have stopped losing weight, and I want to get to my final target I've had since I was 11 years old, and that is 85lbs.

I found that at school, the more I lost weight, the more bullied I got. I also get taunted by my bigger friends for being too thin and not having womanly curves like them. But, the thing is that I do have curves. And I've got a little flabby belly I can't seem to reduce. And I found it uncomfortable being fat, so I don't really want to be peer pressured into putting it all back on.

My problem is that now I don't put on weight, I take it for granted. I eat tons of food. More than I can possibly stomach. And I hate exercise. I detest it. I was bullied and humiliated in so many awful ways at school that I just can't stand people watching me exercise. And I'm really unfit. I gave up smoking 6 months ago and am still really unfit.

And I suffer with severe depression, that I'm on medication for. But I still don't have that motivation to get past the final hurdle. I've been dieting over 10 years and I just feel like I've been doing it way too long to not even enjoy myself. And it was only after Christmas that I realised I really liked pigging out, stuff the diet. And in 4 months I've put on 1 lb. So I know I should get back to work before I wake up and it says 5 lbs.

Is there any way someone can boost my motivation and suggest a good and easy starter exercise?
Amandaosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:00 AM   #2  
There is no spoon.

S/C/G: 278 / sig / 150

Height: 5'6"

Hi Amandaosc! I'm kind of new here too I absolutely appreciate being teased for being overweight as a preteen/teenager - I was too, and it really can affect your body image for life. You've done an amazing job, getting to 99 lbs!!! Congratulations! I'd like to encourage you to take a moment to reflect on what your current weight really means - you actually weigh proportionally exactly what you aimed to weigh when you were 11.

When you were 11, and were 4 ft 8 inches tall, then your goal of 85 lbs was also on the thin side of normal - specifically, a BMI of 19.1.
Now that you're 5 feet tall, 99 lbs is the equivalent of 85 lbs at 4'8" - your BMI right now is 19.3.
Both of these are at the very low end of the normal weight range.
Look at the BMI calculator here:https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines...MI/bmicalc.htm

I want to encourage you to try not to focus on the actual number 85, and look at the BMI - which is a ratio, relative to height. Weight changes as you get taller, and when you said 85 lbs was your goal, you were 4 inches shorter!
85 lbs at your current height would be significantly underweight. I'm not a doctor yet (one more year!) but I can tell you from a medical perspective, underweight is an unhealthy place to be. It can cause medical problems too, similar to being overweight, they're just different kinds of problems.

You should celebrate that you're at your goal! And since you really are at your goal weight, focus on eating healthy (for your general health as well as your skin, hair, nails, etc!) and toning your shape. You can redistribute some of your unwanted fluff by eating well and toning. Finding something active that you love to do is the best way to exercise. There are some great resources on how to best exercise and eat to keep a healthy body weight and be fit! I'll let other people direct you to the best places to look for that.

Congratulations again on actually being at your goal after all!

Last edited by Sakurai; 04-28-2014 at 01:08 AM.
Sakurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:30 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandaosc View Post
I was 12 stone (168 lbs) at aged 11 and around 4ft 8 inches. My mom and dad didn't know what to do with me, they were so worried.
I was picked on badly, and I felt ugly. I couldn't shop at trendy shops like other girls my age because the clothes wouldn't fit.
So at the age of 12 I told my parents that I was finally going to take control of my body. My parents, family and teachers were all really proud of me. And the few friends I had, did support me.
When I got to aged 14 I was 10 stone. (140)
At aged 16 I was 9 stone. (126)
At aged 18 I was 8 and a half. (121)
Now at aged 20 (or 21 in a week) and 5ft 0 inches, I am 7 stone 10lbs. (99.4)
I did it slow to reduce stretch marks, and to be honest I really haven't got that many. Which I'm glad about.

Obviously weight loss did not come easy. I don't put weight on as easily as I used to, but I have stopped losing weight, and I want to get to my final target I've had since I was 11 years old, and that is 85lbs.

I found that at school, the more I lost weight, the more bullied I got. I also get taunted by my bigger friends for being too thin and not having womanly curves like them. But, the thing is that I do have curves. And I've got a little flabby belly I can't seem to reduce. And I found it uncomfortable being fat, so I don't really want to be peer pressured into putting it all back on.

My problem is that now I don't put on weight, I take it for granted. I eat tons of food. More than I can possibly stomach. And I hate exercise. I detest it. I was bullied and humiliated in so many awful ways at school that I just can't stand people watching me exercise. And I'm really unfit. I gave up smoking 6 months ago and am still really unfit.

And I suffer with severe depression, that I'm on medication for. But I still don't have that motivation to get past the final hurdle. I've been dieting over 10 years and I just feel like I've been doing it way too long to not even enjoy myself. And it was only after Christmas that I realised I really liked pigging out, stuff the diet. And in 4 months I've put on 1 lb. So I know I should get back to work before I wake up and it says 5 lbs.

Is there any way someone can boost my motivation and suggest a good and easy starter exercise?

Welcome to the board--it doesn't look like you have a weight problem at all. Most of us on this board can't look at food without gaining weight--just kidding of course.

Motivation--and you're depressed an on medication. Exercise cures a lot of depression. Find an exercise program--be it playing tennis--racquetball--swimming--running--whatever you enjoy. If you're a social person join Jazzercise to workout with friends--or try a Zumba class. A good workout sends those happy endorphins surging through your brain--and not only keeps you physically fit but mentally fit also.

Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote