Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 02-21-2014, 01:12 PM   #1  
Time for Change!

S/C/G: 160/159/125

Height: 5'5"

Default plumped and ready to roll

Hi everyone. I've been reading the posts on this site for quite a while off and on, and finally made the decision to join you all in the quest for weight loss and management.
I am 5'5", 40 years old, and a little more than pleasantly plumb. Although I have watched my figure very closely for most of my life, it wasn't until about a year and a half ago that I began this constant struggle to lose weight. Before, anytime I noticed I was starting to gain a few pounds, I would simply watch my diet and increase my exercise and I'd lose it right back. But at the end of 2012, my doc changed a medication I was on, and oh my wow I blew up like a balloon! In the matter of 3 weeks I put on almost 30 lbs! Needless to say, I got off the med in a hurry, and honestly expected my weight to drop back... BUT it DIDN'T! At first, I even put on a few MORE pounds. Then I stabilized. I've tried nearly everything, had my thyroid checked, (I'm exhausted all the time) and done massive amounts of research. Nothing will make even a few pounds disappear.
I've put myself on the back burner for quite some time, and a few days ago, I decided it was time to concentrate on ME for a change. I got a tanning membership, researched and purchased some vitamins and supplements, and made a trip to the grocery store to stock up on the RIGHT foods, so that I wouldn't be tempted to munch on the wrong things or starve myself.
To reward myself, I decided to go make use of my tanning package. As I stood nearly naked in front of the full length mirror in the tanning booth, reality hit. Those bulges and lumps I'd been hiding under baggy clothes and sweats were right there in front of me and I couldn't deny their existence any longer. It was then that I made a promise to myself. Not only do I plan to reach my goal weight, I plan to do it in a way that improves my overall health and appearance as well. So I have decided that instead of following some specific diet/fitness plan, I will follow the one i created myself.
I look forward to getting to know you all, and wish everyone the best of luck as we conquer this beast!
AbnormallyAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:16 PM   #2  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

Welcome, this is a great community for support.
I'm 46 and I started this journey at 172 pounds.

We have a very nice group of 40 somethings, please check us out.
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:20 PM   #3  
Time for Change!

hi sum38! Thank you! I look forward to being able to give and receive support here, and am excited to hear about everyone's success!
Old 02-21-2014, 06:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/176.4/155

Height: 5'4"

Welcome! I am in a similar place, minus the parts about medication and tanning
TheFinalFifteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:13 AM   #5  
Time for Change!

thank u!
Old 02-22-2014, 11:39 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 157/155/140

Height: 5'6"

Welcome - Last year I lost 12 lbs over a number of months and gained it all back in 1 month. Big lesson learned. You can take it off but if you don't change the mind set it's worth nothing. Which is where I fall off the wagon still.

I'm back to losing but am doing it better (hopefully) this time.

Good luck
wantochange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:49 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 236.4 /217.4 / 153

Height: 5' 7.5"

Welcome to the new YOU. The yoyo dieting as we all know never works so I am thrilled to see you searching for a new and healthy way of life.
stubbornostrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:59 AM   #8  
Time for Change!

Thank u fpr the welcomes! And yes. watching my daughter struggle with her own demons of fluff, I realize that both of you are right; we have to change the entire mind set, and yo-yo dieting will just end up causing us more heartache!
Of course I am definitely aware that I can LOSE the weight by hitting a fad diet hard, or restricting my diet to the extreme...but I also know that it won't stay off unless I make changes that I can live with for the rest of my life.