Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-28-2014, 10:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 362/362/200

Height: 5'7"

Default 362lbs and scared

I know I need to lose weight. But I'm scared. I'm 27 and have been fat since forever. I'm afraid I'll never lose weight. I'm afraid I will lose weight. I'm afraid of who I will become if I don't have the protection of fat.
I know I need to get over my fears and just take the plunge, but my weight has been my identity for so long.

How have you dealt with losing weight? Has it changed you? Howso?
aletha409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

penmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:03 PM   #3  
Don't Stop Believing!!!!

S/C/G: 222/Ticker/150

Height: 5'5 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aletha409 View Post
I know I need to lose weight. But I'm scared. I'm 27 and have been fat since forever. I'm afraid I'll never lose weight. I'm afraid I will lose weight. I'm afraid of who I will become if I don't have the protection of fat.
I know I need to get over my fears and just take the plunge, but my weight has been my identity for so long.

How have you dealt with losing weight? Has it changed you? Howso?

I think everyone deals with weight loss differently. Your fears to me seem normal. I think if you know who you are inside, who you will become won't be any different then who you are now. You will be you, just a smaller version of you.

My opinion is to look at the benifits that your weight loss can give you. Also, everyone I have talked to on here has been great. I have read all through this site and the encouragement that is given is amazing. We are all here for you!!!!!
donijo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:09 PM   #4  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

You will always be you, unhealthy or healthy.

Being overweight will not protect you from life, no matter how bad you want it to.

What being overweight will do is keep you from being able to celebrate, and enjoy the good things!

What being overweight won't do, is keep you safe from life's hardships, crisis and tragic life events.

It's a choice.

Choose to live or not.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 304/235/180(for now)

Height: 5'6''

Default feelin ya

Hi Aletha - I am new around here too and scared. I am not sure if what you're feeling is normal or healthy...but I can assure you that I know what you're feeling and have had the exact same thoughts.

In the past year I have lost about 60lbs. Some the tough way and some through illness. I still have another 60 to lose (at least) but I can tell you that even now the exercise part seems a lot less scary with a little less weight. Getting up the stairs is easier, I can move better, everything takes just a little less work... and it's pretty awesome.

You're probably going to fail and start again... I think we've all been there. But, try and make the gaps between start dates a little shorter. Pick one small thing to start with, maybe something diet related and go with it. I have found that having a lot to lose the beginning isn't actually that tough, small changes make a big difference. I had a lot of luck with myfitness pal.

You're still young (I turned 30 in august and can speak with wisdom!!) and time will keep ticking into the future whether or not we're fat. It's worth the effort!

Good luck!

p.s. your cow pic is sexy.
AxelGoldstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:08 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 388/ticker/175

Height: 5ft 7in

Hi!
You and I are very similar in age/weight/height. I'm just restarting my journey after a year. I haven't lost enough for anyone to notice yet, but I semi-dread when they do. I have similar fears. I was overweight by the age of 5 and haven't been a healthy weight since. If you want a weight loss buddy feel free to private message me!
msbiscotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:39 PM   #7  
diamondgeog

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcirerf View Post

You will always be you, unhealthy or healthy.

Being overweight will not protect you from life, no matter how bad you want it to.

What being overweight will do is keep you from being able to celebrate, and enjoy the good things!

What being overweight won't do, is keep you safe from life's hardships, crisis and tragic life events.

It's a choice.

Choose to live or not.
Agreed

Whatever your fears trust me being overweight is a LOT more scary. Not just diabetes and heart disease, but cancer and dementia are linked to it as well. Plus your everyday life is so much harder. Moving, breathing, just being is harder.

You will find when you lose weight not only your body changes, but your mind clears up, your energy goes way, your moods go way up, clarity goes up. You will not believe how much better life is.

Your quality of life goes up so much. Sure it will be unexplored territory how others view and treat you. I am a guy but with me it has been nothing but positive. Dozens of co-workers and friends saying how great I look and how proud of me they are.

Whatever 'difficulties' might come from losing weight, they are not even close to the real, every day, even every moment difficulties of being overweight.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:43 PM   #8  

Height: 5'5"

Starting is SO overwhelming. So many things might happen. Things that you want to happen might not happen.

So I have made a conscious effort this time to take it day by day. Eating well? It makes me feel good. Exercising? The endorphins help my mood, and my body feels stronger. Feeling like I'm taking care of myself? Makes me feel better about myself in general.

You aren't going to resolve your weight issues today. Or in a year. Or, if you're like me, ever. But you can make things better today. For today. And eventually, you can work through all of the surprising mental stuff that goes along with weight loss.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:11 PM   #9  
diamondgeog

I do have to say the you will always be you comment needs a little context for me.

This is and isn't true I believe. But it is a good thing. I have much more clarity now. My thinking is quicker and crisper. I am in better moods. I feel more connected to life, and well the universe and everything.

I think people underplay this. Of course we know our bodies are impacted by weight. But once you loose a significant portion of weight you realize the mental side was being impacted as well. Makes complete sense upon reflection.

So just like your true health and strength physically emerge with weight loss. So does your true mental health and true(er?) self emerge as well. Or at least a clearer self.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:00 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 302/217/181

Height: 5'7"

i agree with everyone who has posted previous to me. i just wanted to empathize a bit, and share.

i was off and on terrified of losing weight. weight very much did feel like a protection for me. in fact, i was stuck around 250 for well over a year trying to battle this fear.

for me, it has to do with feeling safe from rape. just stating the facts. it happened to me and was related to how i looked and i have spent a long long time hiding under layers of fat.

just recently i had a (strange!) person hit on me online, and my first reaction was to set off all alarms and freak the heck out. but i was able to come back to it and just thank him for the compliment and go on my way. it was very empowering for me.

i dont know what prompts this fear in you, but for me, it seems to come and go in waves. i am definitely not done with overcoming fear related to weight loss, but i am also ready to face it.

this is a great support community. i hope you are able to utilize it and reclaim your health.

Last edited by katerina11; 01-30-2014 at 06:00 PM.
katerina11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:06 PM   #11  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Welcome 2 The Forum, When your ready join us in the Feb. 300+ Chat Thread for daily support
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote