Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-03-2014, 03:48 PM   #1  

Default Desperate for help and advice-

Severely Broke leg on September 1, 2013- i am still in a wheelchair and gaining weight rapidly... I went from (169-175) to 233.5.. I am aware that some of the prescriptions I am on cause weight gain ( Celebrex, Lyrica, Zanaflex) and I desperate to start losing this weight.. So I am starting Atkins... Is there any advice anyone can give to assist... I am not going to be able to start exercising again for quite some time yet... My Fibula was snapped in half and my Tibia was fractured in 4 places..
nystateomind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:32 PM   #2  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Welcome to 3 Fat Chicks,

Sorry to hear about those breaks that still have you in a wheelchair after four months.

No smart advice about exercise except that you might want to try whatever upper body resistance exercise that you can do from your chair - possibly using barbells or whatever's handy.

There is a Sub-Forum for Atkins that you could check out.

Good luck on your journey.
BillBlueEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Hi nystateomind! I agree with Bill's advice and I want to add that when you start to reach for food and know you shouldn't, log on here instead and post. Everyone here is very supportive! I wish you the best! Good luck!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:03 AM   #4  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Welcome! So sorry about the broken leg -- yow, that is rough!

Good news, though, I think you can get alot done weight-loss wise without exercise, particularly at the beginning of the process! All your hard work will be done in the kitchen and in your head. I always say that, for me, weight loss is 90% food management, 10% attitude, and 5% exercise. For 105% effort.

As Bill pointed out, there is an Atkins sub-forum, lots of great people in there to give you support!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:44 AM   #5  

Height: 5'8"

Sorry to hear about your broken leg! I would probably focus on getting plenty of protein (which you should get on Atkins), because it's not just weight gain you need to worry about, but also loss of muscle. Protein is the building block of muscles and ensuring enough would minimize the loss (even though there will be loss). It also helps in fat loss. Secondly, I wouldn't go for too big of an energy deficit. You need the energy to heal your body. If you deny nutrients and calories, it'll hamper that process. But that's also perfectly compatible with Atkins.

Best of luck and I hope your recovery will be fast!
SparklyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote