Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 11-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #1  
Vegetarian, Low carb

S/C/G: 180/168.1/120

Height: 5'2"

Smile Back for the umpteenth time

Even though I'm not new here I thought since I haven't been around for two or three years I'd come back and re-introduce myself.

I lost sixty pounds a few years ago and reached my goal, only to gain it all back since I left. So here I am again. I have discovered that I can't do this without you. Whenever I think I don't need support any more, that's when I turn back into a yo-yo. I have done this (gone from fat to fit and then back again) sooo many times.

Here is what I have found:
  • I have to log my food or I will cheat. Even when I reach maintenance. Period.
  • I have to have support or I will fall off the food wagon.
  • Carbs are my kryptonite. My metabolism converts them instantly to fat. I need accountability about my carb intake.
  • I am very goal oriented and I need mini goals along the way. It is best if I record them and give myself small, non-food rewards for weight loss. Clothes are perfect for this!
So I am looking forward to making new friends as I try (again) to do this the right way.
shr1nk1ngme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #2  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Welcome back! I've been bouncing into maintenance for a couple of years now and I agree. I don't have the same issue with carbs, but processed foods pretty much work the same way. I keep thinking that I should get to do something different now that I'm in maintenance, but it turns out that I need the same structure for planning & logging food and I need to post in my favorite places on 3FC every day for support (some in the morning and some at night so that I'm hanging around health-seeking individuals multiple times a day). I still need goals, too. Right now, I'm working on a daily streak of exercise and I'm up to 128 days. I don't want to break that!

Good for you for making your way back here and knowing exactly what you need to succeed.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Hi Shr1nk1ngme! BACK!! Just like you, I came back in July of this year, after a 4-year hiatus, realizing I cannot do this without 3FC. The advice I would now give to anyone on this journey is "Don't leave!" I keep my old green ticker in my signature as a reminder. There is no other forum on the web like this one, where people understand what you're going through and support you all the way. If I had stayed, I'd already be in maintenance for multiple years by now. And maintenance in my opinion is an even more difficult endeavor than weight loss, so I'll definitely be sticking around for that too! I'm glad you're back! Don't leave.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:58 PM   #4  
Vegetarian, Low carb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenerjoy View Post
I keep thinking that I should get to do something different now that I'm in maintenance, but it turns out that I need the same structure for planning & logging food and I need to post in my favorite places on 3FC every day for support. I still need goals, too.
I think I am learning that this is the only way maintenance is ever going to STICK for me. I just have to realize that I will never be "done" with weight loss. Because the minute I am "done" is the minute I start getting fat again.

Every. Single. Time.

I have done this SIX times in the past twenty years.

Thanks for your support!
Old 11-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 223/223/150

Height: 5'11

Question, do you binge?
busybeejelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:39 AM   #6  
Vegetarian, Low carb

Yes I binge, but only when I am completely out of control ~ off the wagon for several months = binging. But my binges are different; I eat really super healthy. But I still binge. And during the periods when I am not logging my food and participating in a support community I utterly lack portion control.

A binge for me means that I literally eat ALL DAY LONG so it adds up.

Eating a whole can of beans with salsa and melted cheese.
Eating a whole container of cottage cheese
Eating a whole package of spinach with melted cheese.
Eating a cup or more of walnuts/peanuts/pecans/whatever nuts I have on hand.
Eating ten tangerines.
Eating two sandwiches of whole wheat bread with veggie-meat patties & tomatoes.
Eating a whole can of lentil soup.
Eating two cups of my homemade vegetarian chili beans.

I gained 65 pounds eating like this.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:39 AM   #7  

Binge is a large amount of foods, above what you need to be full, regardless of it being healthy or not. This is why majority of people gain weight, other than laziness. Reason why I ask this is because any type of restrictive diet triggers binges and extreme urges. Despite it being a healthy selection of food (key part of it being sweets), still it is not healthy to gain it all back (as you know), therefor there must be a reason and I think you have to solve your binging to get this under control otherwise whatever you do you will always "fall off the wagon". I don't think you should spend your whole life having to maintain like this is a disease, I think this is more down to "kicking a habit" like quitting smoking and changing your perspective.
I've been a binge eater for over 14 years. I read Brain over Binge book and it literally made my binging stop. I mean, I still work at it but it made everything "normal". It is a different approach to binging as to something we are in charge of by not listening to primal instincts and habits we formed due to diets. It makes super sense and I tell you - I feel free. I have to also lose the weight I gained in my last "fall of the wagon" session, but I have NO panic about it whatsoever because I seriously curbed my eating (that crazy voice that screams - eat eat eat eat) without much thought.

Given the fact that you originally now eat healthy, it will be easier for you than me for example, since I love to eat junk
But you need to be able to control your eating without having to write everything down. Read the book, it will really put some light on everything. I went to therapy about my binging and didnt help me at all, just made me go into circles, question myself, my confidence and everything.
Once you solve this "habit", you wont have to do this ever again. I am 100% sure of it.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:53 AM   #8  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I think every one is different. Writing everything down, before I eat it, is the sharpest tool in my weight loss kit. It takes about a minute and a half and it pays off all the next day because I'm not thinking about food all day long. I've got a plan so I can spend my day thinking about other things. I'm happy to do this for the rest of my life.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #9  
Vegetarian, Low carb

Quote:
Originally Posted by busybeejelena View Post
I read Brain over Binge book and it literally made my binging stop. I mean, I still work at it but it made everything "normal". It is a different approach to binging as to something we are in charge of by not listening to primal instincts and habits we formed due to diets. It makes super sense and I tell you - I feel free. I have to also lose the weight I gained in my last "fall of the wagon" session, but I have NO panic about it whatsoever because I seriously curbed my eating (that crazy voice that screams - eat eat eat eat) without much thought.
I am going to buy this book. Today. Thanks!

Amazon, here I come!
Old 11-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #10  

Some people like to write things down, but Ive met many who absolutely feel trapped by this action especially if they think they will have to do it for the rest of the life. Eating should be effortless and enjoyable, not a chore or something we should dread or think about and honestly keep track of like its the main part of our existance. Some people love to be organized but I think the main way to lose weight is to let go of frustration of food and being under its control. If writing down things helps - thats great, but to be able to reasonably think about food like every other skinny person that is not consumed by it, I believe that is the true success. Otherwise we can think that we will always be fat, have issues and need to be under supervision and/or control. I dont think I am ill or have a disability, but just have bad habits that I kept reinforcing. Good luck to all, whatever method you choose