3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/introductions-8/)
-   -   A fat med student. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/introductions/289119-fat-med-student.html)

DrAsh 10-27-2013 01:12 PM

A fat med student.

cleancowgirl 10-27-2013 01:42 PM

Welcome to the forum Dr Ash.
I am an Intensive care nurse and have been overweight for the last 10 years. Stress and dealing with it with Chocolate, fatty foods and things that gave me momentarily stress relief. I realized I could not be a role model teaching my patients to change their lifestyle when I was not doing the same. There was also mitigating factors but you feel like a big hypocrite with the adage "Do as I say not as I do" This is a good site. Good luck with your journey and medical career.

tefrey 10-27-2013 02:02 PM

Hi DrAsh!

Welcome, and congrats on taking this first step!

I avoid processed foods so I don't use weight loss shakes, but maybe someone who does will respond. If you are worried about side effects though, there are plenty of diets available that rely on food you prepare yourself and plenty of people here that can give you some advice.

Good luck!

happybug 10-27-2013 06:00 PM

That's a valid point that I think many people over look; that weight loss shakes can have side effects and that they're not for everyone. A lot of them contain guarana which I can't have. But even the ones that don't have guarana in it I found still gave me a headache and made me constipated. Maybe research some healthy eating plans and find which one suits you. Sometimes just making a decision to cut out take away, sugary drinks and limit alcohol, while being more active can make a difference. Good luck with your studies!

Jacqui_D 10-28-2013 12:13 AM

Hi Ash! :welcome: I'm not sure why you have to resort to shakes because you can't exercise, but it sounds like you know these shakes may not be the best solution. You really don't have that much weight to lose according to the stats you provided, so if you are not on a time limit, why don't you just concentrate on eating a healthy diet, limiting portion size, and drinking more water? And I imagine you have plenty of walking to classes if you are on campus as a med student! I'm sure you want this to be a lifestyle change that will last, not just a temporary fix, so why not start making those changes now? Then you won't have to worry about side effects. Good luck! You can do this!

kaplods 10-28-2013 02:48 AM

I'm currently using "The Simple Diet" which uses shakes, entrees (such as frozen dinners) and at least 5 servings of fruit and vegetables.

The program (based on the book, The Simple by Dr. James Anderson and dietician Nancy Gustafson) is based on the HMR program which is the leading weight loss program used by hospital and medical school weight loss programs.

Dr. Anderson is a weight loss researcher and uses the program himself (he lost quite a bit, but I don't remember how much. It had to be 40 lbs or more, because I wouldn't have been impressed with less, having so much to lose myself).

Diets that use shakes and other meal replacements do not have to be unhealthy, as long as you're eating a wide variety of fruits and vegetables, taking in sufficient protein, and enough calories to avoid feeling weak and lethargic.

The Simple Diet guidelines address those issues and explains all the guidelines.