Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 08-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 317/309/175

Height: 5'5"

Default I have to make this work

Hi, this is my first time joining anything like this. I've been reading through some of the forum posts over the last few weeks and have finally worked up the courage to register. I'm really hoping to find some support and tools to control my weight and emotional eating so that I can get my life back. I've always struggled with my weight since childhood, but in the past several years, it's just been completely out of control. I'm 317 lbs now, and I'm so angry with myself for getting to this point. I'm frustrated with the physical pain of carrying all of this weight, with the exhaustion and debilitating self consciousness and depression. I am not living my life, and I'm not a good mother to my children because of the physical and emotional strain I'm battling.

I'm so ready for all of that to change. I'll be thirty years old in a year and a half, and I don't want to enter the next decade of my life feeling this way. I know that a major factor in my weight gain is depression and emotional eating/binge eating. I'm trying to lose weight on a budget, and it's not easy, but in the last couple of weeks I've started drinking only water, except herbal tea with Splenda occasionally, and I've begun eating much healthier. Portion control is tricky, depending on if I'm on an emotional rollercoaster (just taking that day by day) but I'm proud of the progress I've made with that in the past couple weeks as well. I joined My Fitness Pal this morning and started my food diary. Things are on the right track. A major goal for me now, aside from calorie counting and trying to start exercising, is just to learn how to accept and love my body just the way it is. I know that's a big piece of the puzzle for me in staying motivated to meet my goals.

Anyway, sorry this is so long. If anyone has any tips or suggestions for me, particularly with trying to lose weight on an extremely tight budget, I'd be so grateful! Thanks for reading.
Ruthie142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #2  
Starting out Huge

S/C/G: 255/244.8/125

Height: 5'2"

Heya Ruthie! Welcome! I myself just joined up yesterday and I'm also in the "I'm so not going into my 30's like this" path. It's so tough and this place is awesome because everyone here really gets it.

Losing weight on a budget can be done. I myself am also working with a budget. Luckily my mom has a farm and I've planted a ton of veggies in her garden patch so I can get some free produce going to help out.

I'm totally new to calorie counting as well and it's definitely a real challenge. I wish you all the best and hopefully we can be there for each other. I know you can do this!
mjmelwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #3  

Height: 5'8''

Hey Ruthie, welcome! I'm doing this on a budget too. For starters, I'm drinking tap water! Haha! My boyfriend is totally disgusted, but oh well.

I've only been doing this "regime" for a couple of days, but so far I don't see it becoming a strain on my budget, mostly because I don't plan on buying "special" (low fat, low cal, etc) stuff for myself.
FatCroat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmelwel View Post
Heya Ruthie! Welcome! I myself just joined up yesterday and I'm also in the "I'm so not going into my 30's like this" path. It's so tough and this place is awesome because everyone here really gets it.

Losing weight on a budget can be done. I myself am also working with a budget. Luckily my mom has a farm and I've planted a ton of veggies in her garden patch so I can get some free produce going to help out.

I'm totally new to calorie counting as well and it's definitely a real challenge. I wish you all the best and hopefully we can be there for each other. I know you can do this!
Thank you so much! I feel so much more motivated and positive now that I've just taken this small step. Our garden this year was a bit of a bust, but I've found some good deals on produce so far, so that's helpful. Thanks again, and good luck to you too. Hopefully we'll be able to support each other through this, and celebrate when 30 rolls around and we're in a much better place (and smaller jeans )
Old 08-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatCroat View Post
Hey Ruthie, welcome! I'm doing this on a budget too. For starters, I'm drinking tap water! Haha! My boyfriend is totally disgusted, but oh well.

I've only been doing this "regime" for a couple of days, but so far I don't see it becoming a strain on my budget, mostly because I don't plan on buying "special" (low fat, low cal, etc) stuff for myself.
Thank you! I'm drinking tap water too, and it's not so bad! I will only drink water if it's really cold though, so I'm trying to get in the habit of checking that I've got all of my water bottles filled and in the fridge before I go to bed at night. I can't afford to buy the "special" stuff either. I think it's probably a good thing, that way I can just focus on eating more of the unprocessed, healthier stuff.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #6  
Hobbit-lass

Height: 5'2"

Hey there, Ruthie, welcome! I know you'll find what you need here, this place has been nothing but warm and welcome, and UNDERSTANDING. It's so great being around people who get how you feel about these things! And I totally understand doing things on a budget -- add me to the list of those drinking tap water. :3

But again, welcome, and good luck
fairandfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairandfree View Post
Hey there, Ruthie, welcome! I know you'll find what you need here, this place has been nothing but warm and welcome, and UNDERSTANDING. It's so great being around people who get how you feel about these things! And I totally understand doing things on a budget -- add me to the list of those drinking tap water. :3

But again, welcome, and good luck
Thank you! I'm sure this is going to make a big difference. I wish it hadn't taken me so long to look for support. Thanks again, and good luck to you too!
Old 08-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 246/232/165

Height: 5'9

Welcome! I'm new also, but I believe in you. If you put your mind to it, and stay focused...you can do anything! At least that's what I keep telling myself...
blueyes1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 270/270/195

Height: 6'1"

I am new too Your post was one of the first ones I have read. I have to say you CAN do it on a budget. The easiest way is to make everything... we have a veggie garden too, but it isn't doing so hot at the moment. Good luck. You'll do GREAT with your weight loss.
chameleon1575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by chameleon1575 View Post
I am new too Your post was one of the first ones I have read. I have to say you CAN do it on a budget. The easiest way is to make everything... we have a veggie garden too, but it isn't doing so hot at the moment. Good luck. You'll do GREAT with your weight loss.
Thank you so much! I've already seen results, with two pounds lost this week. And it's amazing how much more energy I have now that I'm not eating junk. Good luck with your weight loss, and thanks again for the encouragement!