Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 07-30-2013, 02:26 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/265/165

Height: 5'4

Default Newbie seeking support

Hi Everyone,

I am new here and need all the help I can get. I have been overweight for about 21 years now (probably considered obese at 278) and did the yoyo dieting in my twenties and early thirties. Since late thirties, I have progressively gained weight. I snack all the time and have a huge appetite. I need to lose about 120 pounds and don't even know where to begin. Over the last 3 years I have suffered with some depression, procrastination, and can't seem to stay focused.

Recently, I sustained a bad ankle injury which showcased just how huge I am. It has been a long recovery and I still can't walk 100% but I am ready for a change.

I must overcome this area in my life. I have ended up on this website a few times before during web searching and decided this time I would join. I'm tired of being weighed down and ready for a change. My family doesn't understand. and I don't have a clue where to begin. Open to all suggestions and support.
ImWeighedDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/231/135

Height: 5'8"

there is a ton of support here and people in the same boat! You made the first step by seeking help, now it's just changing your mind set to "I CAN do this"! And you can!
UilleannMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #3  
Hobbit-lass

Height: 5'2"

Welcome! I wish you all the luck in your journey!

With what helped for me, was deciding... this is it, this is the moment. I'm still at the start of my journey but I feel so good about it so far, and about myself and what little I have accomplished. So, start at the beginning - for me, that was getting myself to eat better and to exercise at least a little. And it's grown from there.
fairandfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Hi ImWeighedDown! I yo-yo dieted for years and counting calories was always my go-to weight loss plan. It works for many people, but I've always had a problem with cravings/bursts of hunger that always knocked me off the wagon. I gave up even trying 4 years ago and now I'm back at it with a weight loss plan that is new to me, but which I think makes sense for me. And lo and behold, it has stopped my cravings so I don't feel hungry all the time, and I'm losing weight! It's called the Slow Carb Diet, and although I don't know all the rules to it--I just have an idea of the basics from an article I read online--apparently I don't need to because this is working for me. You don't count calories. You don't have to exercise (although I do plan to start taking daily walks just to get in better shape). All it is is eating lean meats, fish, eggs, legumes (beans), and non-starchy veggies and then avoiding all fruits (except tomato and avocado), breads and grains, dairy (except eggs and cottage cheese), sweets, and starchy veggies (potatoes, corn). But the great part is that there is a cheat day once a week in which you can eat anything at all and it's actually recommended, so you don't have to feel guilty about it! The cheat day works to keep your metabolism from slowing down and to keep you from feeling like you are denying yourself and falling off the wagon because of it. You may gain some lbs immediately following cheat day but in the big picture, you just keep losing. When I read above that you snack all the time and have a huge appetite, I wondered if carbs affect your body in the same way that they affect mine, so this might be a type of diet plan that would work for you too. Whatever plan you choose, good luck! You can do it!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:13 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 278/265/165

Height: 5'4

Thanks all for the welcome! I appreciate it.

I am EXCITED. I went to the doctor today and my weight was down to 264 after being immobile (must have been the crutches). At any rate, I am motivated and will start diving into the forums for additional ideas.

Jacqui_D,

I am going to start the slow carb tomorrow. One question, will I need to pay attention to my portions eating the foods you listed?
ImWeighedDown is offline   Reply With Quote