Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 06-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 258/258/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Looking for any help or tips to lose 100+ lbs

Hi im new to the site, ive gotten ideas from reading other posts but decided its time to try something different maybe someone similar to me thats had success. Im 26, 5'5" 258 lbs. Ive tried Atkins, calorie counting, hcg, im open to ideas. I have a gym membership and i would typically stick with the elliptical for 30-40 mins but have stopped going. Woul love to be a motivator for someone and have the same. Going on vacation next week so the monday we come back, its on. Im looking to get down to 130 or so. Any help is invited, as well as tips things that have worked for you if youve lost weight or been where i am or are now! Thanks for reading!
MrsSvatba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 227.8/226.6/150

Height: 5'2"

Thumbs up me too, 5'2",222lbs-we will get there

Hi

I looked at this site first in 2008, tried to loose a couple and actually lost some before realizing preggers, it was a sweet surprise but ended up being obese from overweight. Being severely hypo thyroid didn't help matters. Anyway, it was a struggle and long journey finding the right dosage for my thyroid issue but last month, my endo told me you are as close you can get to be a normal person so now is the time to do something about your weight.
my apartment complex has a little gym and the elliptical is the only one that works. I usually log 30 to 45 minutes. Doing so for the past 2 weeks with zero results. So, I added JM 30 day shred video as well. My neighbors say I look a wee little toned. Scale shows or not, I am planning to do keep doing this for as long as it takes. I try to exercise 5 days a week at least.
We can keep each other motivated. I think having a weight loss buddy will help. If interested, please send a Private message.
niru78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 227.8/226.6/150

Height: 5'2"

Default :-(

Just realized, from the last time I checked in here (early 2008) till now, I gained 14lbs, :-(
well, lets loose it all once and for all,
niru78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #4  
Losin' it

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSvatba11 View Post
Hi im new to the site, ive gotten ideas from reading other posts but decided its time to try something different maybe someone similar to me thats had success. Im 26, 5'5" 258 lbs. Ive tried Atkins, calorie counting, hcg, im open to ideas. I have a gym membership and i would typically stick with the elliptical for 30-40 mins but have stopped going. Woul love to be a motivator for someone and have the same. Going on vacation next week so the monday we come back, its on. Im looking to get down to 130 or so. Any help is invited, as well as tips things that have worked for you if youve lost weight or been where i am or are now! Thanks for reading!

There's no secret to it. It's just a matter of sticking to it. Diet is really 90% of weight loss, and it is naturally the hardest part. Calories in < calories out will lead to weight loss, no matter where those calories comes from. However, if you eat mostly clean calories, you will certainly feel better.

Calculate your BMR and TDEE and eat between those tow numbers. For best results since you have so much to lose I'd recommend eating 25% less than your TDEE. A great site to calculate these numbers is http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/.

Your BMR is your Basal Metabolic Rate - basically the amount of calories you would burn if you were to lay in bed not moving a muscle all day. You need to try to eat at least this much every day to sustain organ function and keep your body from freaking out on not eating enough. Going under that number won't do harm to your metabolism though, it's more of a guideline.

Your TDEE is Total Daily Energy Expenditure - meaning it takes into account your activity level and how often you exercise to figure out how much you can eat to maintain your weight. When you subtract that 25% from this number, you create your caloric deficit to allow weight loss to happen.

Something a lot of people fail to realize is you burn calories whether you exercise or not. As an example, I burn about 1700 calories a day just living. Add on top of that I work out 6-7 days a week. I just finished Insanity and started Les Mills Combat yesterday and I'm training for a Tough Mudder so I am running 4 days a week as well. So I burn anywhere between 2300 (on a "rest day") - 3800 calories a day and maintain a 1,000 calorie deficit for 2lbs a week weight loss (even though I average higher than that currently). So I eat between 1500 (rest day) - 2600+ calories in a day. I try to eat mostly unprocessed foods and cook at home, but with heavy training days I do eat out - salads mostly from Panera Bread..mmmmm. Or I'll get a Chicken Salad sandwhich from Jason's Deli on GF bread with potato salad...or a burrito bowl from Chipotle. I'm making myself hungry! lol

I also don't deprive myself: I eat pizza, chocolate, cookies, ice cream...the name of the game is moderation and making sure I have the calorie allowance for those things. Don't put yourself on a super strict diet, you will only stress yourself out and go on a binge fest. I've been there many many times over the years, as I'm sure many other people on this site have.

Good luck!!!

Last edited by MsModelSara; 06-10-2013 at 09:04 AM. Reason: clarifying on calories
MsModelSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #5  
diamondgeog

Kind of agree and disagree with the above post. For me at least I am finding that exercise is the key. If it was a chicken and egg thing, exercise would come first for me above diet. Of course you need both.

But let me explain. I have for the first time in decades now on about my 6th week, worked out every day. I am still very overweight but I feel awesome: strong, plenty of energy. And my appetite is going down...naturally. I googled it and more recent research shows that a hormone that lets you know when you are full gets improved with exercise.

Also I have the extra motivation of not wanting my work to go to waste. There was also a Duke study in December 2012 you can also google that. They had control groups. People doing cardio had better weight loss results than people doing just strength training or a combination.

I am getting my diet together and that is hugely important. But for me at least that would not have happened without the exercise first.

One other thing, I of course, have a final idea of a great weight. It is probably even less than my 220 in my signature. But my goal this year is 250. That is a big number for me. I am shooting for that and right now that is my focus. I personally can't focus on the weight goals much beyond 20 lbs. Just too much for me.

Last edited by diamondgeog; 06-10-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/215/175

Height: 5'4"

I also have about 80 pounds to lose and about 2 years ago I went on a strict diet and lost 50 pounds but that was unrealistic, I started to gain everything back right away and have gained at least 30 of it back, I am starting to walk more and watch what I eat. I have days that because of my schedule I can not eat as well as I am hoping for but I am improving my planning. I am hear to help motivate and get motivated.
strugglingover40 is offline   Reply With Quote