Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 05-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #1  

Default Looking for more personal, "real" support

Hi, everyone. I've never been thin, but thanks to my addiction to extracurriculars (dance team, drum corps, etc.) throughout high school and college, I maintained what could pass as an "athletic" build during that time. After my last semester of marching band in college, though, my activity level dropped, and my eating habits were just... well, it was COLLEGE. You can imagine.

I've been obese ever since. I'm 33 now. Around the age of 27/28, I cut out the major junk food. I even survived a year without white potatoes (crazy NY resolution). Problem? I never lost the weight I gained in the years after college. I have a pretty good handle on the obvious stuff. I don't drink reg soda, I don't eat chips, most of the time I can resist fries and whatnot, but my metabolism sucks, and clearly I'm not strict enough to undo the damage that was done in my early 20s.

Then I had a baby. Had to manage gestational diabetes. Successfully LOST weight during my 3rd trimester. Anyhow, I managed to lose the baby weight plus some last fall/winter, but then it was dissertation-writing time, and I gained it all back. I'm ready to kick some butt this summer and get a great start to a new lifestyle. I am limiting my carb intake, counting calories, trying to implement a regular exercise plan (I love working out but suck at consistency), and do a form of intermittent fasting. I'm looking for a small cohort of people to get to know and check in with. I'm overwhelmed by how big this forum is. Any advice on how to form a smaller cohort of people? (ideally, 30-something women or mothers)

Thanks for reading/listening. Maybe if you read this and feel like we are kindred spirits, PM me, and we can try to be weight loss buddies.
surronohappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #2  
Losin' it

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6"

Well...I haven't had kids, and I'm not in my 30's yet (28), but do understand what it's like to be in your adult years before becoming overweight or obese -_-. lol I have Hashimoto's and it really starting acting up after I graduated high school and I started the vicious cycle of gaining/losing weight in short time frames and then the last time I gained it just stuck. So I'm trying to get it off for good now.

I've realized since coming back to these forums from a few years ago...people aren't as welcoming it seems. People like to read, but not respond. I don't feel very welcomed at all this time around personally. I might give it a few more days before ditching this site again, but welcome to you! I wish you the best of luck on your journey.
MsModelSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 257/ticker/154

Height: 5'5.5"

There's a bunch of us on myfitnesspal...for tracking food/exercise but you can also add friends who can comment on your food diary or status updates. I'm daniknits over there if you want to join and add me. The main difference in the interactions is that your page is the central point, rather than just threads and posts.
fadedbluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #4  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Welcome and good luck on your journey!!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/135

Height: 5'4

Don't get discouraged by the size of this forum. There are threads that will fit for you. Do some exploring and don't give up! If no one answers your questions try a different thread. I have found this to be a great forum. Oh and welcome!
Waterlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #6  

I'm not a mother but I am a teacher. Would that work?
Hopefully you can find some people to converse with who you share interests with.
ander is offline   Reply With Quote