Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 05-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 223/223/165

Height: 5'4

Talking Hello

Hello Everyone. I am 42 years old, 80 pounds overweight for my height, already on a nice cocktail of daily meds and was put on a CPAP machine last week.

Yesterday I decided I'd had enough of feeling like a blob of yuck. The sun was shinning and I was to ashamed of the way I look to wear a tank top and a pair of capris. So I stopped by the GNC store and nice young kid helped me pick out $103 worth of vitamins and appetite suppressants. Today I started looking at comparing the fitbit and the bodybugg and was directed to this forum.

I realize a lot of my problem is will power and the fact that I sit at a desk all day. The other part of the situation is that I have a husband of 25 years that's supportive in words, but not in deeds - he does the grocery shopping and we have lots of junk food in the house and no fruits or vegetables. So here I am, looking for others to help me stay motivated and boost my willpower to stay on a lower calorie meal plan and increase my activity.
Craftysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 234/see ticker!/150

Height: 5'6"

Welcome, and I wish you the best of luck.
CannaBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #3  
IP start 4/17/13

S/C/G: 259/213.6/146

Height: 5' 9.5"

Craftysmith

Have you tried Ideal Protein Diet?
From what you said, I think it would be a great way for you to get to your goal.
The meals are planned ( no hubby interferance there ) and its a great program.
I have started the same. On April 18th I was at the doctors office and had stepped on the dreaded scale and read 258 pounds. The heaviest I have ever been.
Naturally, I cried about knowing that crying wont help on the long run.
I heard about IP from couple of people that I know well, and decided to give it a try. The next day I was at the clinic at 7.30am, had a consult and started that morning.
I had a weight in yesterday and am 14.1lb down!
What I really like about the IP program is that, it works, meals are planned ( I am too busy to figure out what to eat every day and also NOT thinking about it brought me to where I am- or was two weeks ago ), and its tasty.
Once you get into the routine, it's really easy to follow.

Whichever route you decide, keep it up.
Good luck and happy slimming
WestLAgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 174/145.6/130-117

Height: 5feet1

Welcome! The willpower thing is hard for sure, especially at the beginning. Once you form some new habits and see some results, it should feel easier. Don't think you'll have to struggle forever, just for a month or so and then something might click. Of course it takes some people longer to find the plan that works for them, but this forum can help a lot with that. Best to you!
Fluffypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #5  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Welcome and good luck on your journey!!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 350/180/180 (surgery recovery)

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftysmith View Post
Hello Everyone. I am 42 years old, 80 pounds overweight for my height, already on a nice cocktail of daily meds and was put on a CPAP machine last week.

Yesterday I decided I'd had enough of feeling like a blob of yuck. The sun was shinning and I was to ashamed of the way I look to wear a tank top and a pair of capris. So I stopped by the GNC store and nice young kid helped me pick out $103 worth of vitamins and appetite suppressants. Today I started looking at comparing the fitbit and the bodybugg and was directed to this forum.

I realize a lot of my problem is will power and the fact that I sit at a desk all day. The other part of the situation is that I have a husband of 25 years that's supportive in words, but not in deeds - he does the grocery shopping and we have lots of junk food in the house and no fruits or vegetables. So here I am, looking for others to help me stay motivated and boost my willpower to stay on a lower calorie meal plan and increase my activity.

Welcome! Have you heard about "The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet" by Drs. Richard and Rachel Heller? It is what I used to get myself started, and with what you describe your food/hubby situation to be, it sounds like that diet, possibly paired with calorie counting/awareness might be a good starting point for you.

I used that diet to start and was sure I would never be able to "eat normal", but in reality, the diet is not that far off from "normal", my mind was. And now that I have my insulin under control, I've slowly switched to a more "Paleo" mindset, which is leading to a general statement of "I eat healthy and pretty clean."
ikesgirl80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 278.0 / See Ticker / 169

Welcome to the boards! I totally hear you about the hubs. My husband is supportive, sort of. Part of the problem is that he just doesn't think. The other day, he brought home a package of danishes for Costco--when I asked him about them he said he just saw them, they looked good, so he bought them. Yep, he didn't even give it a second thought. Sigh...I'm working on getting him to use his noggin' a bit more!

-Melinda
OtterMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 223/223/165

Height: 5'4

Talking Thanks

Thanks for all the encouragement. My first hurdle is to quite the Diet Coke. I've been a few days now with out one and started replacing it with Ice Tea and water.

Down 4.4 lbs today.
Craftysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 350/180/180 (surgery recovery)

Woo hoo!!!! Here are some more carrots for you, just cuz they are awesome!

:c arrot:

Last edited by ikesgirl80; 05-07-2013 at 07:46 PM.
ikesgirl80 is offline   Reply With Quote