Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 04-08-2013, 05:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 344/311/140

Height: 5'6

Default New girl - could really use encouragement

Hi to everyone! I'm brand new to the forum and am really needing some encouragement and motivation.

I'm 23 years old, I'm 5'6, 343 lbs, and have a 57" waist. The weight I knew it was approx. that much - the waist surprised me when I measured it tonight. It's of course a sad and disappointing surprise, but I am going to let it fuel me to do something, not just feel bad for myself.

I have been on and off, on again off again. I have been going through my old record I was keeping and I have 3 different accounts of starting my "diet", recording the weight each week, and having it just end after 3-5 weeks. I can't stick with anything it seems. When I work out I do work out hard... but I guess I burn out shortly after starting. What can I do to stick with the healthy eating and exercise? I know slow and steady wins the race, but I don't want to lose only 1-2 lbs a week! I read that there is no evidence behind the claim that you shouldn't lose more than that. I'm not expecting to lose 10 lbs a week but I think about 4 is reasonable. I want to lose 200 lbs, I'd like to be about 145. I would like to accomplish this in about 12-15 months if possible. If it takes longer that's fine, but that's my general goal.

Anyways I could just really use encouragement, tips, and any insight that can be offered. I plan to start again tomorrow and this time I don't want to ever look back. So please... all help is very appreciated.
Skettihead03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:04 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 198/164/140

Height: 5'5

What "diet" are you starting tomorrow?

I know it shouldn't be about weight lose and how quick you do it but I do understand it can be disheartening when you you dont see a difference straight away. When I posted my intro on here one of the responses I got was that its not about weight loss its about being healthy and blah blah... yeah I know that we all know that but it wasn't what I wanted to hear to right now, I need motivation to help me think and feel like I can do that... so dont get disheartened.

I have only just got back into it over the last week or so, I always eat pretty good but I hadn't exercised since christmas. Last Monday I was 171 and this morning I am 168.. so 3lbs off... so no I do not think 4lb a week is unreasonable. Your first couple of weeks will probably be more but be prepared for it to slow down. I started the C25K this week, I did the 3 days, which is 30 mins each day and I have also been doing the squat challenge which has been worse than the running but im sure that will change. So the exercise doesn't have to be too dramatic.

Also dont be too strict. You will only get board and fed up if you deny yourself of the things you want. I usually stick to is 100% through the week, I find it easier as I am at work. The weekends are when I struggle, as I like to have a drink and eat out etc... but its part of the journey.

I usually weigh myself on a Monday (stops me going mental on a weekend) but sometimes to help myself I weigh on a Friday too so I can see what damage I have or have not done over the weekend. I had ice cream on Friday as my treat and the scales still went down.

Im the same I have restarted so many times its a joke but I really feel like I can do it this time and go beyond just being healthy and lose the extra pounds so if you want a buddy and we could set mini goals then I am definitely up for that. Just let me know xxx
Missthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 198/135/125

Height: 5'5"

Congratulations on taking the first step. I feel that that is ALWAYS the hardest. Remember that there will be set-backs, it's common to have a day where the diet didn't go as well as you planned (cheating, holidays... etc) Just remember that each day is new, and you can restart the next day.

I don't think that losing four pounds a week is really all that bad. I always end up losing more weight at the beginning of the diet anyway. It WILL slow down though, and you can't get discouraged from that.

I still allow myself to cheat one day of the week. That seems to curb my binging and gives me something to look forward to during the week. I cheat on Sundays. I also try NOT to weigh myself on Monday because I will be disgusted with myself from the day before's cheat.

I do weigh daily. A lot of people say that it isn't encouraged. Personally, I find it drives me to lose more. I also use a scale that has decimal points. 201.9 pounds is a big difference from 201.1.

Also, get rid of all the foods in the house that are tempting. Just throw them out. Don't leave them for someone else, don't leave them for your "cheat days". Just toss!! It'll be way too tempting and could cause late night binging!

I tried all kinds of diets... I failed at all of them. I found I did best with calorie counting in the beginning. That way I COULD eat anything I wanted, as long as I knew the calorie content. The induction week I allowed myself 1,700 calories. Then the following week I reduced to 1,500. Right now I'm eating somewhere between 800-1200 a day. I change it up so my body doesn't "get used" the same amount day after day. On the day I cheat, I used to just allow myself one meal of cheating. Now, I cheat all day long... and it must boost my metabolism because 2-3 days later, I lose even more weight.

Best of luck to you! Don't get discouraged. Set realistic goals. Shoot for 300 pounds now.. make that your first goal. Don't wear yourself out exercising either. I always found that when I did that, I "forgave" myself and would cheat more.

Keep us posted!! We are all on your side!!
thepapillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

penmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:30 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 344/311/140

Height: 5'6

Thank you so much for your kind words, encouragement & tips. It seems like I'm already off to a good start. I have been eating "normal" foods but not as much since the other day. I did toss the junk food but can't afford to throw away everything so I am just watching the quantities until I can go grocery shopping for all the right choices.

Monday at around 4 AM I weighed in at 443.2 lbs, This morning around 9:30, the scale read 440.8 lbs.

I plan to drink plenty of water and green tea and I am no stranger to exercise. My mom lives about 2 miles from here. So while it's nice out I think I will start walking there and back and that will be a good start. Especially since I ENJOY walking and will have my ipod, it will be more like a hobby than something I HAVE to do. I am excited and really hope I will stick to it this time. Thanks again!
Skettihead03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Glad you joined us! Walking sounds wonderful. Good luck!

Last edited by Mountain Mamma; 04-09-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Mountain Mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #7  
Kelly

S/C/G: 310.6/239/160

Height: 5'9

I'm in the same boat you are. I just recently realized how large I am and that I'm going to die if I don't do something about it. I think admitting we have a problem is the first step to changing our lives and our waist lines. Good luck to you and I hope this forum will help you achieve your goals.
punkrocksong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 250/250/180

Height: 5'8

Same boat here! I knew I was big but I was in denial of how big. Until this weekend my daughter took pictures and I was seeing them and I hated myself for getting that big!! good luck to you and everyone else on here !
liiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 214/197/140

Height: 5'3''

I'm new here too and I think we're doing the right thing by starting up some kind of support system and asking for help.

I don't think your weight loss goals are ridiculous at all, I think they're quite do-able so long as you work your butt off (literally hahaha).

Get excited about it! It's going to be great fun!
Jesserz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:50 AM   #10  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Welcome and good luck on your journey!!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote