Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 03-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 189/178/119

Height: 5"1

Smile Needing support in becoming wholly me

Hi All
Sorry this kind of got long but I think I probably needed to write it all out, mainly for myself but if anyone wants to read then that is wonderful too.

I'm super excited to be joining 3fatchicks as it really feels like the very supportive community I need. I've tried dieting and exercise in the past but I've never stuck to anything (the story of many of our lives huh?) and around the three week mark I end up getting bored/scared its working (and I might actually have to sort my mind out) and pig out and stop. And as my teenage years have gone by and things have changed in my life my weight has got up. That is a particularly important point as I have just moved to a new city and job and my weights gone up yet another 10 lbs in just 3 weeks.

However, I think that this new impetus is coming at a good time in my life I have just travelled independently and gained so much confidence and really think about my goals and how I want to live my life. I want this to be part of growing into the person I want to be and developing new skills and 'virtues (virtue ethics anyone?); to become more contented and happy with my wholeness as a person. I am beginning to realise I deserve more than being 18 and feeling out of breath walking up the stairs, than having an obese BMI and a body fat measurement of 44%, than being the 'fat friend'. than being ashamed of how much I eat. As I read on here yesterday, I am worth so much more than anything in my cupboard.

Thats not to say that this isn't going to be a massive challenge. I have never really managed to pass the three week stage of a diet. I'm also in a strange living situation - I live in a house with a mix of other volunteers and yound people facing homelessness. AS wonderful as this is it means that I am always surrounded by pastries, sweets, chocolates etc. and on most evenings have little control over what is cooked. I have limited free time to go to the gym but conversely there is a lot of time when I am duty, often in the kitchen, but not doing anything so boredom eating is a big problem. I am working on a few solutions to these problems but if anyone has any suggestions then that is wonderful.

Nevertheless, I am going to try. Because I am worth more. When I look at the reasons why I don't lose weight they are talking about someone who I am but who I don't want to be. I want to be able to dance all evening, to have people talk about how good I look, to travel around the world without feeling out of breath.

I'd love anyones support or comments, especially in these first couple of weeks. Or if anyone wants to just talk about crafty things, theatre, cooking, volunteering etc. would be just dandy too.
angelicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 196/ticker/140

Height: 5'2"

Congratulations on making the decision to get more healthy. Take it one day at a time or one hour at a time, if that's what it takes.
You will get at lot of encouragement here.
I just recently stopped eating bread, white rice, potatoes and don't drink milk. (I used to drink about a quart a day) It seems to be working. I've also cut out all sweets too. I eat just about anything else I want. I've been eating a lot more veggies too.

Last edited by TheWanderer; 03-24-2013 at 07:01 PM. Reason: add a thought
TheWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #3  
Just watch me ...

Excellent that you are going to be taking better care of yourself !

Start by adding clean meals to your day. That means fruits, veggies, lean meats, legumes and beans. You will find that the better you eat, the less junk food will appeal to you. Don't drop a 'junk' food from your diet without adding a 'real' food to your diet.

It's not all about calories; 400 calories of lean meat and produce will do a lot of benefit to your body where 400 calories of cookies and fried foods will just make you sick.

Think health more than what you weigh, and think nutrition more than calories. And start getting in some exercise every day. Whatever you can tolerate, every day. Walk, do crunches, free weights....there's a great youtube channel called fitnessblender that has different things you can do.

Above all, do not think of it as 'going on a diet', because that suggests that someday you'll go 'off the diet'. What this really is is treating your body with the respect it deserves, feeding it well, and keeping it strong. This, for me, is most difficult, as when I get to a weight that makes me happy I start to think that it's OK to eat some 'junk'.....see? When, really, junk food makes you sick regardless of how much you weigh!

So becoming more healthy is a daily, ongoing process. Take it on with happiness, and be kind to yourself along the way.

GREAT GOING

Last edited by Exhale15; 03-24-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Exhale15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:42 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

penmage is offline   Reply With Quote