Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 03-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 140/130/120

Smile 3FC Noob here !

Hello !

I've finally decided to join an online community! I chose 3FC because I find it so hard to talk to people about my weight, self image, or binge eating...

Here I go :

I'm 25, French, a bit of a geek. I'm not really fat, but I've always felt on the chubby side, relying on food to ease my worries and so on since childhood. This kind of "comforting food" reaction is considered normal in my family, and self-image is a bit of a taboo subject. I grew up hiding snacks in my room and eating them late at night before going to bed.

I had a "eureka" moment while living abroad. I was having a great time, the food was healthier, I discovered yoga, and almost reached my perfect weight.

But then I came back home, and to my old habits of binging. I hate going to the gym because looking at the other girls makes me feel fat, guilty, and ashamed. After a few months like this, I feel like I finally understand that I can't lose these extra pounds if I keep binging every time I feel anxious or sad.

In short :

I'm not trying to lose a lot of weight, but I feel like the emotional strain from binging, dealing with anxiety and shame are universal subjects.

I signed up, hoping that the experiences of all the other members of 3FC could inspire me and guide me on this journey

I'm hoping to read about these subjects, binge eating, triggers, and so on.

PS : Feel free to correct my english, I'm not a native speaker!
PPS : "Nekojita" means "cat tongue" in japanese. It is said of someone who doesn't like to eat or drink something while it is too hot.

Last edited by Nekojita; 03-17-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Nekojita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #2  
Starting over

S/C/G: 195/185/140

Height: 5'3"

Good luck on your journey!
I love your nickname--I must share that with my kids!
veggiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #3  

Height: 5'8.5"

And your English is excellent, especially considering that it is not your first language! I am impressed.

Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #4  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Welcome and good luck on your journey!!!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 310/*look*/140

Height: 5'9

Bonjour Nekojita!
I am 25, a French-American, though I lived in Colognac briefly as a child. Your English is excellent, make no apology! If only my French were as good as your English! I'm ashamed to say I speak more Spanish than French!
I feel your struggles. I have used food as a distraction from my troubles as well. I have often felt too fat to be at the gym or outdoors jogging. I am quite insecure in my own body, although I am improving.
In my research in school I have learned a lot about discrimination and hatred towards the overweight. In the US, and all Western Culture I believe there is an absurd obsession with body weight. We are so inundated with images telling us what we should look like. If average looking people are rarely represented in the media, fat people are invisible. We are represented as sub-human, always from the neck down, most frequently engaging in unhealthy habits. Of course we learn to be uncomfortable in our own bodies!
It is time for this culture of body-shaming to END. It starts with us, which is really a very empowering notion. By us I mean each individual, Fat, chubby, or thin. We must be willing to hold our heads high and not let our insecurities get the best of us. We must march into gyms and out to jog with confidence, however contrived it may at first feel. We must show compassion and kindness to all body types. We must monitor our words and hearts for biases and judgement. We must not let fear or disappointment in ourselves keep us from living richly.
Best of luck to you and positive thoughts from Oregon!
Lecomtes is offline   Reply With Quote