Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 03-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 247/236/150

Height: 5'6''

Smile My First Post

Hello! I am new to all of this. My name is Whitney, I'm 25 years old, 242 lbs, and I have struggled with my weight since I was 10 years old. I have been off and on dieting for most of my life--the same ol' lose twenty pounds, gain back thirty, never taking it as seriously as I should. The last few months has changed my attitude about getting healthy. I got married in December, and looking at the photos taken of me on my wedding day, I was totally in shock at just how big I looked. I suppose that I have a case of reverse body dis-morphia. looking in the mirror, I never saw how big I have actually become in the last year. The biggest change of heart is that I was diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance. The last few weeks, I have been experiencing symptoms of type 2 diabetes, and it has really scared me. I want so badly to have children soon, but I know that it won't be easy (or even possible) if I don't lose this weight. I have started a new diet--replacing two meals a day with Slimfast shakes and then a reasonable dinner. It's not easy, but I think it is slowly working for me. I'm glad to have found this forum to be able to talk openly and honestly with other people struggling the same way that I am. I have a hard time talking to anyone else in my life. My husband has a tendency to just say "well...go work out, you'll lose weight" and that's it. I love him, but he doesn't understand the emotional side of weight loss. Most of my close friends are the kind of people who can sit around and eat fast food for three meals a day and never gain a pound. My best friend just visited me for four days, I told her the day she came that I was really trying hard to stick with this new diet. Her idea of support was enjoying a hardy diet of Nutty Bars (my favorite junk food), Pizza, and beer, the ENTIRE time she was here. She says "well, I'll just go for a run and burn off the extra calories." I love her, but COME ON!!! It's so easy to whine that it's not fair--and it's not! but I've come to the point where moaning and being jealous won't get me where I need to be.
Anyways, that's about it. Thanks for reading!
wgaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #2  

I know exactly what you mean about how being jealous isn't going to get you anywhere - took me a long time to accept that! Welcome and good luck
thinkfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 169/159/135

Height: 5' 0''

You can do this. Read through the different threads, you will find so many people to inspire you.

I would suggest, you look into an app like Lose It or My Fitness Pal. This will help you keep track of your calories . It is easier to tweak what you are doing, if it is staring you in the face.

Good luck, I look forward to reading your progress.
irish51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 247/236/150

Height: 5'6''

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I have been using MyFitnessPal, and it really does help to see exactly what I'm putting into my body every day. It makes it easier to see where all the "extra" calories are coming from and modify my diet based on that.
wgaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #5  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Whitney!!! That is such a great idea, using MFP to watch your calories, etc. Looking forward to seeing more posts from you.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 242/ticker/212

Height: 5'6

Whitney!!

Best of luck with your journey! Stop by and say hi on the 240s thread in the 100 lb club.

~Faye
foreverfaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 228/213.8/150

Height: 5'7

Welcome to 3FC!!!! My only advice is to believe in yourself and your ability to lose this weight. Hard work and determination are key components
Skinnygirldreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #8  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Welcome and good luck on your journey!!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote