Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 03-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: HW:250|SW:217|CW:204.5|GW:180

Height: 5'10

Default Hey - Younger user here!

I'll just start this by telling you all the basics. I am 14 years old and about 213lbs. Now, I have never really been skinny or even average weight. I first really noticed that I was too overweight last year in eighth grade. I weighed 250lbs and I never want to be there again. I lost about 40lbs between middle school graduation and high school orientation. That was amazing, the compliments were plentiful and just hearing "Wow, you look so different!" and "Did you lose weight?" for the first time was just the best feeling. For the first time in my life, people were talking about me, but in a good way. This year I have been more confident and healthy than ever. I used to be so prone to getting sick multiple times a year, but that hasn't been the case for a while.

Now, I want to lose more weight. I decided that about a week ago, but then I also thought, you know, what's the point? I already lost 40, there is no way I can lose 40 more. I tried going to the gym after school every day a few months ago, but that quickly ended. Not really due to the fact that I couldn't do it or gave up. but more because I joined a club that required meetings to be held after school so I didn't really have time. In a way, that's still a great improvement and change from my middle school life where I would do absolutely nothing but play on the computer and never talk to anyone.

However, the past few days I have been looking up all of these tips and stories about people losing weight and I thought, "I want to be like them. I want to look like that." I'm not obese anymore, but I am overweight. I'd like to be around 180lbs, preferably by the beginning of 10th grade (which is about 6 months from now), but I'm not going to expect something like that just yet.
Instead, I'd like to simply lose about 5 - 10lbs a month and see how it goes. I really just want to make this a lifestyle change and be more active. I want to be at a weight where I feel comfortable enough to put myself out there more and join a sports team for the first time next year. I've never done that before because I always feel so awkward and embarrassed to be around so many people due to my weight. I also want to be about 160 - 170lbs by senior prom, which is about three years away anyways, so no pressure.

So far I have been eating about 2 - 3 fruits a day, 1 - 2 vegetables a day, wheat bread instead of white bread, no snacks, less cheese, mayo, butter, dressings etc. I also exercised with a combination of Zumba and Jillian Michaels for an hour yesterday as well as walked for half an hour, then walked for an hour today.

Is there anything else I should do? Just stuff I can do at home would be great. My mom is also going to go shopping soon, maybe even tomorrow, so what are some healthy things that she could buy? Anyone know nice, healthy recipes for breakfast and dinner? Etc.

Last edited by maraquia; 03-04-2013 at 09:47 PM.
maraquia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #2  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

to you!

Gosh, you have made alot of wonderful decisions on your part. GOOD for YOU! and losing that weight already, be very proud of yourself. I'm a very basic eater, so I don't have many recipes, but I am sure you can find them here in the threads. My advice is to keep moving (your Zumba, Julian Michaels etc as often as you can) and eating food that is healthy (not fast food etc) maybe just alittle smaller portions. But you are doing great. I wish I had had your mindset (and your wonderful mom) when I was your age!!

Hope to see you around the threads with your happy stories!
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #3  
NeNe

S/C/G: 200/187/165

Height: 5'6"

Welcome! Boyu, you are already doing so good starting the exercise program and beginning a lifetime healthy eating way of like. That will ensure you a lifetime of success with maintaining your weight. My piece of advise is to ensure that you drink eight 8 ounce glasses of water a day. That helps me lose weight faster. I will be here cheering you on as you succeed in meeting your goals.
firegirl441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #4  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Welcome and good luck on your journey!!!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:23 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 287/274/165

Height: 5"3'

Welcome! Congratulations on your HUGE success so far! You've lost 40 lbs and you can DEFINITELY lose another 40 if you set your mind to it! The small steps you've made in terms of cutting out fatty foods are going to help so much. If you go to the recipe section of the forum you're bound to find something that tickles your fancy. It's hard to recommend any when I don't know what kind of foods you like/dislike/want to avoid/are allergic to/etc!

I find myself wishing all the time that I had stuck to my diets/weight loss plans when I was 14. I'm 21 now and only just starting again for real. Imagine how good you'll feel when you're my age and you've already completed your journey
aprildennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:01 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 245/161/140

Height: 5'3"

So exciting! You can do this! My suggestion would be to drop the fruit to every other day, eat your veggies, and up your lean protein (fish, chicken, tuna). Be carb conscious and give yourself a day to indulge! My cheat day is a blessing!
Scondy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #7  

S/C/G: HW:250|SW:217|CW:204.5|GW:180

Height: 5'10

Thank you all so much for your very warm welcomes and your tips!
It's been decided that we will go to the gym after school every day my mom doesn't have to work (so either Monday - Wednesday or Wednesday - Friday). I usually use the elliptical for 20 or so minutes and the bicycle for 15 - 30. We've also just gotten a bunch of reduced and lowfat things as well as more vegetables. We found a bunch of healthy recipes online for breakfasts and dinners, and I buy a healthy lunch at school. I know it's recommended to eat every 4 hours, but I don't know how I would really do that with school being from 7 - 3. So I would probably only be able to do that on weekends.

Last edited by maraquia; 03-09-2013 at 11:44 PM.
maraquia is offline   Reply With Quote