Hello from Colorado

• I was on the zone about 14 years ago - I had good success but it was hard keeping track of the blocks and I was hungry 1/2 the time. I worked out like crazy and I got down to about 198 lbs.

Over 14 years I gained on up to 238 (+ 40 lbs). I am a 57 year old male and I need to do something about my weight - I don't feel that great and my cholestorol triglycerides etc. tested bad about a year ago.

I read "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes (as suggested by my chiropractor) and that eventually got me to Atkins. I officially started Induction yesterday,but I began cutting back on sugars and bad carbs (informally) about one week ago. So, I was 238 1 week ago and today I am 229.2 - whohoooo! This is my 2nd day on induction and I couldn't be happier so far. A couple questions for those "in the Atkins know":

1) I wonder if I am into Ketosis yet?

2) How long should I stay in Induction - how close should I be to my goal weight before going into OWL?

Thx! Steve
  • I don't remember about the induction phase as it has been years since I did Atkins. I can tell you though to go to your local drugstore and purchase some ketone testing strips. Test your urine and if the stick is a shade of purple as indicated on the bottle, you are in ketosis! Good luck and you already have a great start it sounds like. Welcome!!!
  • Welcome and good luck on your journey!!!