Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 02-19-2013, 11:29 PM   #1  

Default Ideal protein or Weight Watchers? 4 kids a husband and 2 dogs

Hello I have recently relocated to Texas after living my whole life on the east coast. I have been using food to cope with the loss of family and friends. I haven't felt good about myself in so many years not sure it is possible. But now I'm alone and fat and miserable. I have used food to cope for many years but now being 38years old and 4 kids I am weighing in at 200 lbs. I have never really done a diet bc I can't seem to believe that I can really succeed or commit to it. I have been trying to decide between WW and IP. I'm currently paying of WW and not doing anything else but paying. My friend has done IP and has had great results. My worry is the 4 kids and husband. We eat out a lot bc of kids activities. Can you do IP in the real world? I'm afraid to try and fail bc of the financial commitment to IP. Thank you for your thoughts.
Finding My Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 286/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Hi, and welcome to 3FC. There is a lot of support and information here on different diets and peoples success with them. I had to read your post twice, because I thought I read that you were feeling alone after moving to Texas, but then you said you have 4 kids a husband and 2 dogs!! How are you feeling alone? Your house sounds like my dream house where there would always be something going on! LOL!

All jokes aside I understand that it may feel a little lonely moving away from friends and family and feeling fat and miserable is probably not helping you get out there and make new friends.

The good news is you found 3FC, and we'll be your virtual friends until you feel good enough to go out there and introduce yourself to Texas.

I did weight watchers for a small time, and while I lost a bit of weight, I found it hard to incorporate into my daily life. Like you for a while I was paying for it and not using it. My suggestion to you since you have big family to feed as well. Is to cut out weight watchers and not sign up for IP. (for now)

Let's first try to drop 20 pounds (10%) of your weight with healthy food choices for the whole family and a little bit more exercise. During this time you can read up on IP and other diets mentioned on this site and figure out which one is really the best for you and your lifestyle.

If you have time, track what your family eats for one week. You can use an online tracker or if you have a smart phone or tablet there are apps like My Fitness Pal and Lose It. Try and get an idea of how many calories you are consuming daily, weekly and where these calories are coming from.

When you see the week laid out, it might become more obvious where you can make some changes that will help you see results (like late night snacking or pizza 3 times a week or whatever).

I have 2 brothers who played hockey and soccer, so I understand about eating out after practices and games. My parents made a change for financial reasons as opposed to health reasons and reduced our eating out to once a week. It was harder and took some preplanning but by creating snacks that we could eat just before or just after a game, we were able to wait and come home and eat dinner. I mention this, because it is so hard to make good choices when you eat out a lot, it's not impossible but if you can reduce the amount of times you have to eat restaurant food a week, that will make your weight loss that much faster.

With 2 dogs, you have some built in exercise right there. Maybe start with taking longer walks to explore your neighbourhood. You can get a pedometer and try and increase the amount of steps you're taking everyday. Just walking for 30 mins - 3- 5 times a week will make a world of difference.

Again welcome to 3FC, we are here for you. If you have any other questions jump in and ask! Good luck!
charliee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #3  

Thanks you very much for your thoughts and time. I agree it sounds crazy to be lonely with a built in zoo. I think your idea of writing my food down will help me see how much and what I consume. I have to admit I drink soda all day everyday. It is what helps me thru the day. Maybe I'll start there and try to reduce it some. The idea of healthy snacks for my kids is great and maybe I'll make up baggies and we can just grab and go. I find that most prepackaged snacks are all carbs. So I'll look for some fruit. Thank you again for your words and thoughts. Have a great day.
Finding My Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Welcome and HUGS to you!
penmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #5  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

welcome!!

You can ask for some more details on the IP thread, but my understanding is that it's pretty restrictive and would be tough to do if you eat out frequently.

Since you are already paying for WW, why not start going to meetings? That might be a nice way for your to start meeting people in the area, and you can also figure out whether it's going to be a good plan for you. Like calorie counting, it's pretty flexible, so it may be a good fit. Whether it's WW Points or calories, the bottom line is still going to be learning portion sizes by weighing and measuring at home, and then tracking what you eat.

Welcome and good luck!
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:31 PM   #6  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Welcome and good luck on your journey!!!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 377/257/220

Height: 6'1

I thought the same thing, I figured this would be really tough considering my daughter already on a food schedule and my wife doesn't have a weight problem, this idea of me buying food and having to do something totally different than the rest of the family seems impossible. It's actually pretty easy. I started IP last month and have lost almost 30 pounds of fat...WI is tomorrow! My wife is happy with the food we prepare at night. Steaming veggies or grilling them takes minutes, and cooking lobster or sirloin steaks takes the same amount of time on the grill or G. Forman. All the good stuff you would eat at a really nice resturant you can have every night, just trade it in for fast food was what I mentally told myself. We have a really busy schedule too, dance lessons, sports and school...however learning to cook healthy and having a family dinner prepared and being together started meaning more than the drive thru at Whataburger (A Texas Burger Joint). My kids will learn how to cook eventually and not just learn how to order. I also found it to be much cheaper, I am saving money on this diet by not boozing it up of buying take out 3-5 nights a week. Like anything it takes sacrifice, but it's well worth it. I am doing it primarily for my kids, I want to be there for them but I also want them to know how to eat and cook healthy versus being caught in the fast food world.
bbmains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #8  
Empress/Queen

Welcome! Everyone is giving you such great ideas, I'll just add that you can succeed in any weight loss direction you choose & it does not have to cost $ at all. I used to weigh more than you do now & over two decades have used every program that came down the pike & they all work. But so does just counting your calories or portions or points or whatever you want to count and writing them down in a paper notebook & taking a daily walk & making good choices as much as you can & also check in with your family doctor on the fact that you are doing this.

But the other plans are all workable too. Do what appeals to you & works for you & keep at it. Hugs. Don't worry about anything. Be well.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

I have done both. I did IP by reading a lot on the section on this board and using alternative products which makes it far less expensive but you don't have a coach.

Eating out is not a problem at all because you can have grilled meat and lots of veggies so you can adjust the food on the menu in just about any restaurant.

The big issue with IP is that you have to phase off exactly as outlined and also monitor what you eat while in maintenance. If you go back to your old eating habits the weight will come back quickly.
Personally I never could lose on WW at all.

Last edited by patns; 02-25-2013 at 02:40 PM.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote