Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #1  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Default New and trying to figure out how to be successful

Hi. (This is long, but it's helping me get my thoughts in order)

I'm Beth and am re-starting a weight loss process. Over the last 10 years, I've put on quite a bit of weight (from 150/160 to now being 230). At this point, I'm diabetic, have high cholesterol, and my blood pressure fluctuates between normal and high.

I'm not very active, but I am capable of walking, although steps wear me out a bit. (One flight is fine--two has me short of breath.) I'm at that size where I just barely fit in an airplane seat.

Strangely, other than when I see pictures of myself, I don't think much about my weight from an appearance point of view. I've gotten down to around 200 lbs three times in the last 10 years--and I've thought I've looked a lot better, but that truly isn't my major drive right now.

I am not compliant with my diabetes requirements. I have a sweet tooth, I eat too many carbs. (I do only drink diet soda, though.)

When I was first diagnosed with diabetes in 2006, I lost 40 lbs in 6 months and was doing better all the way around. I was doing stairs for exercise, my blood sugars were at "pre-diabetic" instead of diabetic levels, my cholesterol had dropped to 'high normal' rather than 'high'. (And my husband said I looked the way I did when we met--180/190.)

And then I went off the carb-restricted diet--and put the weight back on over the next year. Lost 30 after back surgery--and put that back on, too.

Two nights ago, my son's friend was talking to me about sleeve procedure. She's lost 80 lbs and raves about how much better she feels. I started researching weight loss surgery again, and I came to the same conclusion I did when I last did it--the risks are too high, my quality of life isn't poor enough to take those risks, and that I can't imagine limiting my diet at that level for the rest of my life. I understand completely why someone would choose that--but I don't think it's for me at this point.

But I don't know what is for me at this point. I don't know why I'm sabotaging myself. I don't know why I get a candy bar mid-afternoon at work (boredom? excuse to leave my desk?)

I am hoping this group will help me with my motivation and follow-through. This is important. I weighed 230 this morning. Sure, I'd like to weigh 130--or even 140--the last time I was there I looked great. But more importantly, I need to change my eating and exercise habits enough that my blood sugar levels and cholesterol get back down to normal.

So, my goals:

Dream weight: 130-140 (I'm about 5'2")
Really nice weight: 160-170
Short term goal: 200

I hope this wasn't too long of an introduction.

--Beth
bethFromDayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/183/145

Height: 5'7"

Welcome to 3FC!

I've been on 3FC since November, and its been SO helpful for me. Particularly, it has helped keep me in a positive, motivated mindset. I hope you like it here too!

What is your plan to lose weight? What has worked for you in the past?
coffeeshopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #3  

Height: 5'8.5"

Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #4  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

I've lost weight twice via surgery (jaw and back), but I really don't recommend that method.

I've also successfully lost weight using a carb restricted diet. The one I've been able to follow is no longer common or listed most places. It's called "The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet." The premise is pretty simple--no carbs for breakfast or lunch. A balanced dinner (including carbs) that starts with a salad. The meal must be eaten within one hour and the carb and protein portions need to be balanced.

Even not balancing the carbs and proteins, I've lost weight this way. I find I don't want to snack (typical low carb change), and that I am satisfied with 1 or 2 cookies for dessert instead of a big bowl of ice cream with a bunch of cookies. (I have a sweet tooth.)

I am not good at deprivation. If I tell myself I cant have something, then I want it even more. The reason the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet worked for me is I could have whatever I wanted--as long as it was part of my dinner.

Another thing I want to try are to eat more mindfully. If I slow down my eating, perhaps I'll recognize fullness more quickly. I want to get better at taking smaller portions and recognizing when I am full. I sometimes recognize myself feeling full--but tucking a bit more in anyway because it tastes so good.

I also just ordered some cognitive behavioral approach to dieting books. I've been very successful with CBT in the past, so perhaps applying it to weight loss could help me re-think some of my food choices--or better, help me talk myself out of eating something I don't really want, but happens to be available.

Thanks for the welcome!
bethFromDayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

penmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #6  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Welcome and good luck on your journey!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote