Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 12-21-2012, 01:23 AM   #1  

Default Introduction: defeated, a rant.

Hey everyone,

I just came across this forum and am ready to dive right in. I am 26 years old, weight varies between 253 and 263(lbs). I have always been overweight. When I graduated high school I weighed 215. My first year in college I started drinking pretty heavily and my weight shot up to over 240, when I stopped drinking it came back down to 225. (2008)

Later that year, I started working as an overnight stocker, the exercise I got from my job helped me lose weight. by the time I met my husband in 2009 I was at my lowest adult weight. 210. I could fit comfortably into a size 20 and 2x shirts but would wear 18 if I wanted that sexy tight look. My confidence was soaring!

The weight started to creep back on when we were dating. It shot up after I got on Depo shots as birth control. I currently wear a size 26 and 4-5x shirts. I am at the highest weight I have ever been at in my life!

We decided at some point to try and have a baby so I am no longer on the shot, however, my periods aren't back to normal and I think I may have something to do with how heavy I am.

For a long time. Meaning through high school and through the first years of my marriage, I gained about 15 lbs a year. Even when I lost weight, I never felt like I was in control of it. I don't feel like I am in control of it now. With that being said, I am happy to say that I have stayed at about the same weight for a year now.

I binge eat. I binge when I am sad, I binge when I am happy, I binge when we are having family gets togethers.

I feel so hungry, like I am going to starve to death often. Yes, even when I have just eaten. I feel pressure in my stomach so I know I am full, but I still feel hungry. Right now I have this empty spot in my stomach that only a tub of Ben n Jerry's will fill.

I don't exercise. Without fail,I always irritate my ankles. If I try to push through it my legs HURT badly, they go numb. I feel like I am about to DIE. The more I try to ignore it, and just go for an easy walk every day, the sooner the pain sets in and the less I can do. Sooner than later, I am down for a month.

It is as if I push myself too hard, when in reality I really don't push myself that hard. Even though I am motivated, my body won't let me exercise. I can't even use the elliptical without my ankles burning.

I have realized that this is partially due to the fact that my shoes are too narrow. My feet are short and wide. At my current weight they are even wider. I have a hard time finding good quality shoe in a length to width ratio that I won't trip over.

One thing I have going for me is my knowledge of nutrition! With my Pre Nursing knowledge base, I know what to eat to be healthy. I understand the concepts of losing weight. I also have a taste for healthy foods. I am always trying to eat something new. I love to eat whole grains and I eat vegetables every day! (Well, most days)

I look forward to the emotional support and motivating stories i will get from this forum. I don't think anyone can understand what someone with 100+ lbs to lose is going through unless they have been there themselves!!
Zipadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:41 AM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Hi Zipadee,

I'm sorry you feel defeated. The good news is, you don't have to be!

For many people, weight loss is possible even without exercise. Although exercise is important for health, it's not necessarily required to lose weight. That being said, if you have ankle problems, you can always do forms of exercise that don't irritate the problem - weight lifting on your upper body, shadow boxing, and other forms of exercise will burn calories without having you bear weight on your ankles at all. It may be that once you lose weight, you are better able to exercise without causing yourself pain. You might also consider getting a doctor's evaluation of the ankles to ensure there is no physical problem, and/or getting yourself to a good shoe store and getting fitted for exercise shoes.

Regarding the hunger, once again, you're not defeated. Although you may feel hungry, ultimately, you are in charge of your intake. Do you have an eating plan to reduce that intake? Lots of people find different things that work for them, but weight loss is basically calories in (what you're eating) being less than your calories out (what you are burning through everyday living and formal exercise). Some people find that burning hunger comes from eating too many carbohydrates, so you may want to experiment with eating more protein and healthy fats. This might mitigate your hunger so that it is easier to stick to a reduced calorie plan.

Regarding the binging, you may want to check out our "Chicks in Control" forum.

mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:42 AM   #3  

Height: 5'8.5"

Glad you are here. You have come to the right place for support and encouragement.

As for exercise.... swim! And do water workouts. I have degenerative arthritis in one hip so can relate to how how hard it can be to work out. But I can do all kinds of exercises in the water, as it is not putting pressure on the joints. I highly recommend it.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 245/161/140

Height: 5'3"

Hey there! I wanted to let you know that you aren't alone in feeling like this. I often feel like all the things you mentioned - especially when it comes to exercise. I feel so many of my aliments flair up when I exercise. However, I began using everything as an excuse as to why I couldn't lose weight. What you have to do is not list the negatives, but find your path around these little obstacles. So, what's your plan this go around? Personally, I decided I needed a physician's help that could be there for me weekly and help with the emotional side of things. This forum provides amazing support! I look forward to seeing you make your journey. You can do this!!!!
Scondy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #5  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Welcome and good luck on your journey!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote