Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 11-18-2012, 08:01 AM   #1  

Unhappy Hopeless Case?????

Hi. I have just joined this site to see if I can get some help and motivation for losing weight. I am probably a lot older than most on here, 62, and have been overweight since my 20s, gradually getting heavier even though I always seem to be on some diet or other. I desperately need to lose weight as I have really bad arthritis in my knees, caused no doubt by years of being overweight, and I intend to have them replaced shortly but feel losing weight will help with the op and I feel embarrased thet the pain is self inflicted. The trouble is being in such pain means I take no exercise, even walking is a trial and the more I try and diet the more I get depressed and want to eat!!
Sorry to be such a moaner but is there anyone out there who can help get me started.

L
loulou31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:12 AM   #2  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hello, and

First, let me say that there are people of ALL ages on here, quite a few of us (self included) older than you. But age does not matter... all are welcome here! And there is no such thing as a hopeless case, so think positive!!

To help get you started you are welcome to join in our daily check-in thread if you would like

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...welcome-7.html

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 11-18-2012 at 08:13 AM.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #3  
wonderful shrinking woman

S/C/G: Lbs: 400/T*2.2/150

Height: 5'6"

Hey loulou. I am 60 and started with similar complaints. The good news is that as soon as I lost about 10% of my initial weight (~40 lbs.) it was enough to take the pressure off my poor old joints. My feet are now nearly pain-free, except first thing in the morning. My knees are better, though I need to work on range of motion. I started exercising in the gym with a recumbent bike and pool exercise. The bike gives me a good aerobic workout. The pool is wonderful for taking the pressure off of joints and allowing for pain-free stretching and range of motion.

I'm a proponent of balancing expectations with a program that I can sustain for life so my method has been to use calorie counting. I have to wonder why I didn't do this years (decades) ago!

I think once you convince yourself to "just do it" the momentum will kick-in once you start to see the scale drop and you start to feel better.

Welcome and good luck.
sistah phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

HI and welcome. I'm only 22 so I can't give out advice myself but I just wanted to say my grandma is 77 and swims. She was overweight in her late 50s but by swimming (not intense, but enough for her) she was able to get to a healthy weight for her. She loves it.

I hope you find something that makes you happier.
racrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #5  
New-b

S/C/G: 219/ticker/155

Height: 5ft

Welcome.

I'm 33 but also have horrid knee issues. I've heard the same about water aerobics. No pressure on the joints
WannaB2cute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

penmage is offline   Reply With Quote