Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 11-18-2012, 02:31 AM   #1  

Default Chucky monkey here looking to lose 85 pounds. :D

Well my birthday coming up in a 6 days and I decided I'm sick and tried of being obese so starting today I'm getting ready to drop the pounds
but heh, I need support. I don't have any friends and my family doesn't really care about my goals so I have to go at this alone.

So how do I go about doing this? I don't know how to cook so I eat what my parent's make, which is usually something boxed or very unhealthy. And junk food galore, it's always in the house and I'll admit grudgingly that I have very poor self control when it comes to sugary goodness. They don't buy vegetables or fruits either but that's no excuse.

And for exercise.. how do I even get the motivation? haha. I have so much free time it's not funny..but I lose interest really fast and give up. But there's so much I want to try though jump rope, hiking, biking, swimming, running, weight lifting, but just can't seem to actually DO it.

Sorry it's long. hehe 235 trying to get down to 150.
kirikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:32 AM   #2  

LOL I meant chunky. haha excuse the typo.

Last edited by kirikun; 11-18-2012 at 02:34 AM.
kirikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:28 AM   #3  
Claim it ,Achieve it!

S/C/G: 212/104.2/120

Height: 5'2"

glad you too decided to join us here.
There is a lot of knowledge and support here so you definitely have come to the right place.
Do you shop and cook for yourself ? I saw in your post about your parents eating
Boxed food so not sure if you still live with the family.
Right now I am currently not exercising per say just walking and training my dogs.
I am on Ideal Protein phase 1 and I was told this is the best for me now to lose the optimal amount of weight .
Again welcome
Roo2
Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:07 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Welcome and good luck. If you can buy your own fruits and vegies and prepare your own food that might be best. I found calorie counting works best for me. Lower calories and more exercise will result in weight loss. Walking is a good place to start.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

penmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:56 PM   #6  
pear shaped bunny

S/C/G: 152/149/110

Height: 158

hi from a fellow newbie! (: i understand how it can be hard to keep a healthy diet based on circumstances. i personally can't cook very well myself, but i've taken to having weet-bix in milk for breakfast and sometimes dinner. adding fruits and veggies to your diet will definitely help as well. if you have an iphone, you could download the myfitnesspal app. it helps you keep track of your daily calorie intake. i've found it an excellent way to curb my cravings: once i see the HUGE calorie count of that tub of ben and jerry's i want to dig into, i cease, desist and eat a bunch of sweet, juicy grapes instead.

it can be hard to sustain an exercise regime especially if you get bored or unmotivated easily. i used to have problems on the treadmill because my feet would hurt from prolonged usage which gave me the perfect excuse to stop. since then, i've exchanged the treadmill for an elliptical trainer which causes much less impact to the limbs. i also make sure i have my laptop sitting on a table in front of me so i can watch tv shows on Netflix while i workout. i usually end up being so caught up in an episode that i overshoot my 30 minutes workout.

i've also joined a local fitness club which offers tons of fun classes. having someone show and tell you what to do somehow makes things easier, and it helps that they have really fun classes. also, try roping a friend in so that what would originally have seemed like exercise turns into a fun social activity. swimming is awesome.

or you could just start by walking more in your daily life. if it's within a walkable distance, walk instead of drive. if you feel like snacking on some chips, leave the chips can in another room and walk there and back again every time you take another chip. if the weather is beautiful, enjoy it outdoors instead of indoors.

good luck in your journey! (: i hope to see you around!
bunnypear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/155

Height: 5'10"

Welcome, kirikun! I definitely agree with what the other girls are saying; if you can't cook, you should learn. Even if it's just simple meals. You really wanna be in control of what you consume; leaving it up to family members who only eat processed/fast food will do your weightloss journey no favors. I know it sounds hard (I'm a HUGE potato/bread/chocolate addict), but start replacing your usual snacks with fruits and veggies. Slowly transition if you have to. Like, start off by replacing chips with carrots one week. Then once you're used to that change, replace chocolate with some kind of fruit. The difference in how you feel after you stop eating junk food will make the changes totally worth it. Before I started this, I never cooked for myself. Everything I ate either came from a delivery man or a drive-thru. I'd eat it and feel so bloated and tired that all I wanted to do was lay back on the couch. Once I started replacing all my junk food with fruits and vegetables, I don't get that sluggish tired feeling anymore.

As far as working out, if you have to, also start slow. Try going for a walk for 30 minutes. After a week, speed up your pace or lengthen the time you're walking.

Slimming down is going to take work and determination, but the rewards are totally worth it. Just stay focused and if you slip up once in a while, don't let that stop you. The girls and guys on this site are very knowledgeable and motivating and you'll find an excellent support system here. Good luck!
Lakilaulea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #8  
RawFoodie Maintainer :)

Height: 5'5

Hey!

Can you suggest your parents to get more fruits, veggies, salad greens etc and/or go shopping with them?

Also, "Amy's" makes decent organic frozen/miscowave food. Or weight watchers etc. That's not what it should be but for a start maybe an option until you figure things out a little better!

Just find out what your calories should be, use myfitnesspal.com (they have aps for your phone too) to help with calorie counting, tracking and learning what has how much.

Smoothies are amazing! Or veggie juices

Try sticking to your calories every day and add some exercise. Aim for about 30 minutes a day (or more if you like but that's enough for now) of walking, bike riding, stairs climbing, push ups, abs, lunges, squats. Join a gym if you can or get a DVD program that sounds fun. As long as you move

You can do this!
InspiredBy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:25 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 260/257/180

Height: 6'0

Default Baby steps

Just throwing my 2 cents in to offer support. I struggle with workouts too, so I just turn on some music and dance when I'm feeling unmotivated. Find somethings you like and switch it up so you don't get bored. If you can get your hands on some veggies, just add them to everything!
trabo2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 196/146/135

Height: 5'5

I've been finding it helpful to log all my calories. It makes me really think about what I'm eating and realize where my calorie overages were coming from. Plus it's easier to resist eating 1500 calories worth of pizza or whatever in one sitting knowing I'll have to go enter it into my log right after.

Do you have playstation move, wii, or kinect? Sometimes when I can't be a**ed to do a workout video or swim or whatever, I'll play Just Dance and before I know it I've been dancing for an hour.

Last edited by Clumsy; 11-20-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Clumsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #11  
Designing my new physique

S/C/G: 316

Height: 5'7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirikun View Post
Well my birthday coming up in a 6 days and I decided I'm sick and tried of being obese so starting today I'm getting ready to drop the pounds
but heh, I need support. I don't have any friends and my family doesn't really care about my goals so I have to go at this alone.

So how do I go about doing this? I don't know how to cook so I eat what my parent's make, which is usually something boxed or very unhealthy. And junk food galore, it's always in the house and I'll admit grudgingly that I have very poor self control when it comes to sugary goodness. They don't buy vegetables or fruits either but that's no excuse.

And for exercise.. how do I even get the motivation? haha. I have so much free time it's not funny..but I lose interest really fast and give up. But there's so much I want to try though jump rope, hiking, biking, swimming, running, weight lifting, but just can't seem to actually DO it.

Sorry it's long. hehe 235 trying to get down to 150.
hi and welcome to the group! I'm very near you- i have 82#s to go. You seem to like fitness, I bet you'll do great at dropping those.As for motivation, i think the people here are great at support. Just keep coming back and believe in you.
avalonmoon is offline   Reply With Quote