Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 09-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #1  
Kitty

S/C/G: 175/165/135

Height: 5'2"

Default The Dreaded Scale - An Introduction

Hello all,

Today I got an email from Linda Spangle, author of 100 Days of Weight Loss. She asked me about my 'experiences' with the scale. She is writing a guide, I think. I am new to 3FC, but have really liked it. The support here, Linda's book, and finally finding a program that works for me, are giving me hope. I thought I would copy what I wrote to Linda here. After writing it, I thought it might serve as a good introduction. I know many of us struggle with getting on the scale.

Hi Linda,

I haven't been overweight my entire life. However, I haven't been able to gain control of my weight since having my last child in 1987, so, that's 25 years, or basically, a little less than half my life (I am 57). The weight crept up on me, a few pounds a year. I tried to lose when my I found out my weight (after breaking down and keeping a doctor's appointment) was 159, and again at 175. Each time I lost about 15 pounds or so, but always gained it back. At the end of 2011, I wouldn't get on my scale, but I knew things were not good because nothing in my closet would fit. I had nothing to wear for New Year's Eve. I had an annual physical scheduled for December 30, 2011, but I rescheduled it to August 23, 2012. I thought I would buy myself some time and try to lose weight. That didn't happen.

Like most overweight people, I dread the scale. Dread, dread, dread. I can't tell you how many annual physicals and OBGYN appointments I have canceled because I didn't want to face how overweight I was. I didn't want the doctor to tell me I needed to lose weight. That's just not healthy, and I know it. As a matter of fact, I have just rescheduled that August 23, 2012, appointment to December 4, 2012. I knew I had to stop playing Russian Roulette with my health because I was afraid to get on a scale, but I couldn't.

I thought I would buy myself 100 more days, coincidentally, while reading your book, before being weighed again. But there it was. On one of your first pages you recommend weighing yourself daily. Oh no! However, I knew I couldn't let any more doctor's appointments go. My husband had just been diagnosed with prostate cancer, and it was blood work done at his annual physical that picked it up. I decided to be brave and get on the scale. Even though I had been trying to lose weight, I thought I would see 180. I was prepared for 180. I was surprised to see 171. Perhaps there was hope.

I started a weight loss program on September 3, 2012. I picked the Paleo diet because it suits my lifestyle. I have also been reading your book faithfully, and doing the exercises. Monday's are weigh-in days for me. I can only handle once a week at this point. Today I stepped on the scale and saw 168. Unbelievable. Even though it is that time of the month, AGAIN (I am now getting my period every three weeks) I lost weight. I know it is late in life to be going through menopause, but I FINALLY am. I do wonder if being overweight has something to do with that. Even with all those hormones swirling around, I still lost two pounds last week. However, I'm still in the obese category. At 5'2', I won't be out of it until I reach 164.

I am going to keep my appointment on December 4, 2012. I am going to have a mammogram, a colonoscopy, and whatever else it is they want me to do. I just don't want to hear them say I need to go on blood pressure medication or cholesterol lowering drugs. I've never needed them in the past, but with menopause, that might change. So, here's to 100 days, and I hope, 31 more pounds of weight loss. That will put me at 137 pounds and in the high end, of the normal range, for my height.

Thanks for the push I needed to get on the scale.
UnrepentantThinner is offline   Reply With Quote